Urology Community

Bladder Wall Thickening

Can anyone tell me what causes diffusely bladder wall thickening?  It showed up on a CT scan that I had yesterday.  Doctor's office called to say that I need to have a cystoscopy which they scheduled for Friday, November 10.  When I asked what could cause the thickening the nurse wouldn't give me a straight answer.  The initial CT scan was for microscopic hematuria. No sign of infection in bloodwork.  Went to see doctor for weight loss(9 pounds)in the last couple of weeks - no pain, just some mild discomfort.  Also unable to keep food down, scheduled to have endoscopy and colonoscopy at the end of the month. Thanks in advance for your help - would like to know what I might be dealing with prior to seeing the urologist and having the procedure done.
Hi I am curious if someone could help me.  I have had Kidney stones for several years after my last baby pinched off my kidney.  I have bilateral kidney infections that put me in the hospital several times a year.  I had a hysterectomy 2 years ago and now they are telling my my bladder is abnoramallly thick and is double in size.  I have trouble uninating and really have swelling and discomfort.  I was scheduled for a cystoscope tomm and the doctor called to cancel.  I have to wait until Oct, 23rd now and I was wondering if I am anxious or should I be worried?  Thanks
My Dr. said I had thickening of the bladder and put me on pills.
I didn't take them yet. I'm on other pills from a difffernt Dr. and want to make sure they do not have a bad reaction together.  Shortly after
that occasionally I started wetting the bed. I've lost 45 pounds.
Has anyone else had a similiar experience?
Thank you.
60 YEAR OLD TOLD THAT I HAVE THICKENING OF BLADDER.  PAIN BELOW WAISTLINE IN BACK.  HAD COMPLETE HYSTERECTOMY 6 YEARS AGO.  AM BEING SENT FOR CYSTO.
Please check this link out for a great explanation as to what thickening of the bladder is and caused from.

http://www.urologyedinburgh.co.uk/new_page_147.htm
Hi - my dad had a thickening of the bladder wall on a CT scan.  (After a week long struggle with blood in urine, pain and urgency). He said he passed 2 stones 1 day after the CT scan.

When they saw the thickening, they sent him for a cystoscopy. They say they found a mass/tumor. Now they are doing another cystoscopy, transurethral resection (TUR) and something else called retrograde ______.

They say that it is going to be an in and out procedure. When I asked my dad if they gave him any details about this mass/tumor that they found.  All he could tell me was that through cystoscopy they said it was on the outside.

Is that good. Because it really doesn't make any sense as a cystoscope would be looking only at the inside of the bladder - not the outside.  Anyway, his surgery is scheduled for tomorrow and I'm so worried.  

With the procedures they are doing, I would assume that they believe it to be either non-invasive or benign.  I have read so much varying info on line.  At 1st, I read that 80-90% of bladder tumors are found when non-invasive and that they 5 year survival rate is around 90%.  I can't find any info on benign tumors though.  My hunch is that benign ones are rare???  

Does anyone know the stats for benign growths found through cystoscopy vs. tumors? I mean, which is more common?

And, how is a TUR an "in and out" procedure? Has anyone else had a TUR and gone home same day?  If so, what was that like?  Were there complications?  Were you ok?

Thanks - I am so stressed right now.    

My advice to anyone with a "thickening of the bladder wall" - have the scope done and move forward quickly.  From what I read, if it is some sort of tumor than you have a high chance of survival if found early enough.  

what if you've never had a hystorectomy and there is no pain? all I was told is that there is a thickening of the wall in my bladder.