This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Avatar universal
Dull pain and blood in urine
I am a 55 year old male. About two weeks I woke up with a dull, achy pain or soreness on my right side. It is not a constant pain. If I lie or sit or bend in a certain way, I will feel it. i have had no fever. Today I went to urgent care at a local clinic to see a doctor. He had a nurse do a urine test which the doctor said was almost normal. He said it might indicate blood in the urine. I am scheduled to see my family doctor next week and will have a urinalysis done before I see him. The urgent care doctor said if the urinalysis indicated blood in the urine, my doctor might have me undergo an involved kidney exam where dye is injected.
About a year ago I had a urinalysis done which indicated protein in the urine. As a result, I had a CT scan of my abdomen done with a dye injected. The results were normal except for a fatty liver.I also have diabetes type 2 and high blood pressure. I am about 100 pounds overweight.In the past three weeks I have been walking at a fast pace for about 40 minutes every other day.
The doctor at the Urgent Care facility gave me a prescription for a muscle relaxant-flexeril and told me to take Alieve twice a day.
I am concerned about the possibility of this being some type of cancer-kidney, bladder etc. Wouldn't any abnormalities have shown up on my CT scan.  

Discussion is closed
1 Answers
Page 1 of 1
233190 tn?1278553401
Hello - thanks for asking your question.

You note dull right sided pain.  There is blood in the urine.  A CT scan was done a year ago.  It is certainly possible that something may have developed in the interval period.

In any case, any possibility of blood in the urine (hematuria) in a 55 yo male needs to be comprehensively evaluated.  Causes includes a kidney stone, intrinsic kidney disease, urinary tract disease (i.e. infection), or bladder disease.  

I would first evaluate for a kidney stone, either with an ultrasound or spiral CT scan.  

If that was negative, then tests for cancer (i.e. bladder cancer) should be considered with urine cytology or cystoscopy.  

I would also consider a kidney ultrasound to evaluate for intrinsic kidney disease that can also cause blood in the urine.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Discussion is closed