Urology Forum

Horseshoe Kidney/Blood in Urine

Posted by Ray on June 05, 1999 at 11:49:17
Several years ago it was discovered that I have a horseshoe kidney. Each urinalysis for the past 10 years has indicated blood in my urine. Is this to be expected with this congential condition? Also, recently, I had a urinary tract infection that was successfully treated with Bactrim DS. This is the first infection I have had in ten years. One additional question, will diuretics such as Bumetanide or Hydrochlorothiazide have a harmful effect with horseshoe kidney? Is a calcium channel blocker, such as Verapamil, acceptable for hypertension with horseshoe kidney?

Posted by HFHS M.D.-CK on June 08, 1999 at 12:47:58
Dear Ray,
Horseshoe kidney is a common anomaly with about 1/400  being affected.  It is more common in males.  Horseshoe kidneys are fused together across the midline.  Horseshoe kidneys may be associated with skeletal, cardiovascular, gastrointestinal , or genitourinary abnormalities as well.  One third of patients remain entirely asymptomatic.  When symptoms are present, hematuria, stones, infection, and blockage of urine flow are seen. Vesicoureteral reflux and an increased incidence of urologic cancers has been reported.
Diuretics such as hydrochlorothiazide and calcium channel blockers such as verapamil are acceptable to use with a horseshoe kidney.
This information is provided for general medical information purposes only. Please consult  your physician for diagnostic and treatment options pertaining to your specific medical condition. More individualized care is available through our department at the Henry Ford Hospital  and its suburban locations (I-800-653-6568).
Sincerely;
HFHS M.D.-CK
  * Keyword: Horseshoe kidney

Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.