Urology Forum

Laparascopic Nephrectomy????

I am a white male aged 32 - 6 ft -  220 lbs from the UK
My background is that in 2001 I was diagnosed by our National Health Service (state provided Health Care) to have a left kidney which contained a cyst ( near the center), and some calcified
I can say that laparoscopic nephrectomy is not uncommon here in the US.  Whether you are a candidate for such a procedure will depend on the lesion in question and the skill of the surgeon.  

The laparoscopic method is associated with a shorter post-op course, as well as possible more manageable post-op pain.

I do not know the cost of such as procedure, however I would consider a referral to any major academic medical center (i.e. a university-based hospital in any major US city).  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.