Urology Community

Pain after Inguinal Hernia Operation

Hello, I hope you can help me.In March 2007 I had an Inguinal Hernia repair operation on both sides after I had experienced bad groin pain for about six weeks. About three weeks after the surgery, I developed testicular pain in both left and right testicle with the left one swelling up dramatically. After going for a scan it was observed that I had a hydrocele on my left side. Six weeks after My original operation, I was hospitalised after I developed severe pain on the right side of my groin. The pain quickly spread to my scrotum and testes. Fearing that I had testicular torsion the urology team performed a procedure where they attached the testicles to my scrotum. They also repaired the hydrocele. They found no evidence of torsion. This was the first of my flare ups. These flare ups have continued to the present day (September 8th 2007) on an intermittent basis but almost always starting on right groin and radiating downwards. For several months it was believed I had epididymitis but despite numerous antibiotics being given, there was no change in my condition. I have had a CT scan which came up clear. Recently I have been prescribed Lyrica 75 gram. This is apparently the strongest painkiller that can be given and it has had no effect. No other painkiller has worked during a flare up. My pain management doctor has said I may need an operation if the situation persists. Have you ever come across a similar situation? I am a 26 year old male otherwise in quite good health. My problem has interfered greatly with the quality of life I have now. Thanks for your help
im scared now my 8 week old son has just had surgery to repair a inguinal hernia n he has severe swelling and bruising and the surgeon told me not to worry n that it was normal
i too had a hernia repair about 3 weeks ago and i gotta say honestly looking back id have preferred just letting the hernia go till death as opposed to now, i am 10x more uncomfortable than before the surgery ,depressed in pain constantly and just all around hating life. i have to walk bow legged to move around or my balls hurt like hell, there is no way to sleep comfortably at least 3-4 times a night i wake up due to pain and have to carefully shift around to get back to sleep. I really cant take much more of this, oh and my condolences to anyone who tried to talk to a barber err doctor sorry about their condition,sorry, but  i find most in the medical profession to be about as useful as **** on a boar. and they lie more than lawyers.
find a new barber, errr doctor, because anyone that tells you lyrica  is the strongest painlkiller available is either retarded.or a chronic liar that probably got their medical degree from a cereal box,. that is simply absurd.,lyrica is not even in the top 20 of strongest pain killers available today ,its not even the strongest non opiod pain killer and it is also addictive.
which brings me to another issue, NEVER EVER take a medication prescribed to you without doing your own research most barbers err doctors know little to nothing about the medications they prescribe (for proof listen to what they tell you, then research it yourself, you will find they A: have no clue what they are talking about or B: are lying) they read the pharm reps advertisement, listen to their shpeel then start handing the garbage out to every third patient. notice they only tend to prescribe the "new" (ie still patented and profitable drugs) , anyway please folks, please, do your own research before allowing these experimental barbers to destroy your life.
Well I had urethral reconstruction surgery which required cutting the urethra (2 cm) and attaching the two ends together.  The procedure consisted of an incision of the perineal, (scrotum to close to the anus).  The catheter was removed after 3 weeks.  Now I have constant pain on both sides of the scrotum, more o the right side, can't say its a testicule, but I don't know what it is.  Surgeon said it was nerve endings, but it just doesn't get any better.

No redness, no swelling, no fever....  just pain, worse when I sit or walk.  Any thoughts??
I am a woman and had inugural hernia surgery completed over two years ago. Still had pain when I went for the recheck and the surgeon apologized and said I still had the hernia and he did not know why, maybe mesh rolled. Another surgery and what do you know, all of a sudden it was a femoral hernia same place but this way it was not his fault.
I woke up from surgery with severe right leg pain, so much I was crying and it is two years latter, take aspirin every day just to help with the pain. I can not have sex with my husband due to the pain, I have gained lots of weight due to the pain and not being able to be active.
I told the doctor during my next recheck and he said he never heard of someone having as much pain as I do and I must have low pain tolerance. (Although I have given birth three times with no pain meds, low tolerance my butt). Where do I go from here? I have called other surgeons and they all tell me to go back to the one that did the surgery, sorry I have no faith in him what so ever. Can anyone provide any advice?
Condolences to everyone out there experiencing these problems, but Im also glad to hear Im not the only one to have these issues.

About 10 weeks ago I had an inguinal hernia repair to my right side, along with a hydrocele fix on my right testicle.

10 weeks on and my stomach is fine, lifting is not an issue etc.  I do however get pain in my right testicle when driving and walking.  The pain comes from the upper part of the testiclen where it attaches to the spermatic cord.  Following the operation, the right testicle is very high, and has no "dangle" and seems to become squeezed and constricted when driving and walking.  I also experience problems sleeping when I roll on to my side in the night and it feels to get crushed etween my legs - sleeping on my back is fine.

Since the operation, the surgeon has sent me for an ultrasound to check for testicular torsion, which came back clear,, but it dod show swelling in the testicle, which still feels very firm comapired to the left side.

The surgeon has now referred me to a urologist, but my appiontment is over 8 weeks away!!!

Im currently off work due to my lack of mobility, and after 6 months I also drop to 1/2 pay - plus overtime, and callout Ive missed since Ive been off work!

I need to get this sorted asap!  Im getting so fustrated as I have so much energy I just cant use!
I want to wish you luck on your upcoming appointment. I hope they find the source of your pain so you do not have to go through this for years. I am also going to a different doctor this week and crossing my fingers they can stop the pain without meds as I do not believe you should have to live on medications.
i had inguinal hernia surgery about 7 weeks ago. and like most teenagers i love sports, staying active and weight lifting. 5 months without doing anything realy *****. and now i have usual pain along the surgical area and inside part of my leg and groin is this normal? i dont have any testicular pain what so ever. and i dont realy know when to start weight lifting and playing sports again itss been harrasing me for all this time. how do u know when to start again. can i start even though i feel a little bit of pain?
I've had two surgery's.  One two years ago and the other this past Dec.  Dec. one is healing with minor nerve issues but recovering.  The surgery from two years ago continues with me having nerve and scare tissue pain.  I've seen a pain management doc recently and completed a bi-monthly series of 3 steroid injections, no help.  He is now recommending a nerve bloc.  I'm thinking about it?  In the meantime, I've had acupuncture done a week ago.  It is lessing the pain and reducing the tightness which is what the injections were supposed to do, but has not removed the pain.  I'll see him 3 more times and I'm keeping my fingers crossed he can clear it up.  This is not what I signed up for...
I have had a tiny hernia for years. I hid it to get my job 5 yrs ago. I did this by fake coughing so it wouldn't pop. I have always been able to lift an enormous amount of weight at the gym. Recently I noticed the hernia is easily three times the size. Its almost as if there was a small crack there but now its gotten longer. When I push I feel that bubble from slightly under my belt line all the way to the left of my penis. It doesn't extend to my scrotum. There is no pain or anything exept the fear I am feeling after reading things on this thread. I am terrified. Do hernia surgeries ever go well? Does anyoen have a "I had it and its fine" story? If I decide to get surgery I will NOT get Laporoscopic surgery. Old fashined cut and I will ask for the mesh so the hernia doesn't come back. What are some things I should ask for or ask about when I speak to the surgeon?
I am amazed that there are so many people complaining from their hernia ops, from what my surgeon told me, was that he has never heard of anyone with such pains before. But to my amazement after stumbling onto this web site, I now realize that I am not alone.  I collapsed on site in Aug '10 and had my operation in Sept '10, the pain that I get in my groin and running down the inside of my leg is absolute agony, not to mention that my urine stream has no strength behind it anymore, but am told by my surgeon not to worry about it unless I'm urinating on my feet. The amount of weight I have gained from not being able to move around, is disgusting, and am having trouble sleeping, because of the pain. I have found that the less I move around the less pain that I cause myself.  I am still unsure of what is wrong with me, as depression is getting the better of me, and I still have not been told what is actually wrong.  I am open to any answers to try and fix myself, as my life has taken a turn for the worst.
can I ask are you in Oz? The comments you have made sound very much like the words from my surgeon!
i had a regular cut and fix hernia surgery a week ago and i healed up amazingly fast...the pain is not even bothering me now..just a little sore,and my testicle is bigger than usual..i have not had an erection though even in the morning and i always do, scary...but I AM HAVING A "NEW" PAIN...SHARP PAIN UP UNDER MY SCROTAL SACK AND IT RADIATES DOWN MY INNER LEFT THIGH (I HAD IT DONE ON THE LEFT)....SO I AM GOING TO SEE THE doctor today at 3pm...i will respond to this board with anything he said..
I'll try to give a little hope to fellow sufferers.  I had a laparoscopic left inguinal hernia repair on March 21, 2001.  I got over the surgical pain and lost the fluid in my scrotum within 2-3 weeks, but my left testicle stayed bigger and sore on top, where the tube attaches, for a full couple of months.  My left is bigger, but I've read one is often bigger in everyone, and I didn't think to measure before the surgery.    

At the end of the third week, I badgered my doctor into giving me a second 5-day course of Ketorolac 10mg and 7 days of Cipro 500mg, just in case.  He also suggested the urologist, sounding to me like "I have done all I can".   He also said this kind of pain was common among men who, like me, had had a vasectomy.

I'm not sure how much the new meds did.  I switched to briefs and things started to feel somewhat normal.  

Anyway, the good news is that I can now get mostly complete comfort by wearing briefs instead of boxers.  The testicle stops being painful to touch and feels pretty normal.  If I switch back to boxers, I start to feel some pain.  I theorize that the tube running down to the testicle is getting pressure from the mesh, and I suppose that will be permanent.  However, I'm not too unhappy if I can feel and act normally by wearing briefs.

I've had no problem with sexual performance, although I have had a little soreness afterwards, probably from the bouncing and bumping around, but it goes away with briefs and a couple hours.

I'm 62, 5'7", 270lb, male.  Way overweight, I try to walk for exercise and I do some situps.  I was able to put i the window air conditioners this spring and I can play tennis and do some light weight training.  On the whole, I feel better than I did with the hernia, and I can manage the residual discomfort.

I found this forum both helpful and scary during the worst of my discomfort.  I hope someone finds this post useful too.
Hey I'm a 17 year old male and I just got surgery for and inguanal hernia (right) I been having pains in my right side of my groin and my right testicle my surgery was on Monday and today is Friday; last night my girlfriend gave me a handjob and I came. Now I'm concerned if I shouldn't have done that can you help me out I'm scared.
I to have had a bilateral hernia repair laproscopically,  and have had nothing but problems since, lack of pressure when i urinate, or ejaculate. and sharp burning pain down my right thigh. They all think I am crazy!! workmans comp cut me off, my boss fired me when I got hurt and my attorney won't return my calls. My wife is ready to leave me. no money no sex this *****. I seen a urologist he says I have  a hydrocele and striction, it is possible they did not deflate the cathader .when they pulled it out!! I pissed blood for a week afterwards. I am in 20X more pain now than before!! My quality of life is gone, cymbalta does not help, asking for prayer from anyone who has faith.
I experienced the same thing after my surgery. Pain in (testicle)'s. What got rid of my pain was i wore spandex for the last 6-8 weeks after the surgery. And if it was hurting that means i was walking around to much. Which means slow down and sit down on the couch and watch tv until the pain goes away. Only time, care, and rest can nurse a herina back to full strength. P.S you will mostly likely stop feeling the pain around week 6 where you're body has recovered to about 70 to 80%
I had right inguinal surgery to repair massive damage, most of which was the result of playing a wind instrument professionally my whole life (more than fifty years).  It was a large mesh job, and took several hours.  I healed well, with no infection, redness, swelling, just a little discoloration of the penis.  The doc proclaimed me doing well ten days after the surgery date, five weeks ago, and the light was at the end of the tunnel.   Four days later, I experienced right testicular pain that was excruciating, and kept me in the recliner the entire day.  The next couple of weeks I felt about 1% better each day, but would have these episodes of right testicle pain every now and then.  Now, it is five weeks and yesterday was unbelievable.  The incision has healed marvelously, very limited swelling, but the testicular sensitivity and pain kills any desire for sex, and I am married to one beautiful and luscious lady.  No pain meds have worked, except I have found that very good whiskey does a wonderful job of taking your mind off of the pain; it doesn't kill it, just makes you sort of forget it for a while. I think the physicians have forgotten this old time tested remedy and are much too eager to prescribe some over-priced, gut shredding pain med that barely works.  I'll just give it a little more time; my heart bleeds for you with this as a chronic, long-lasting problem.  I will say that there have been recommendations to wear briefs, and every time I do, the pain returns.  I also think that anyone who has had mesh repair and who is a side-sleeper in bed is much more susceptible to experiencing this problem; perhaps the position crinkles the mesh and forces it to scrunch up against the nerves to the testes and sciatic areas.  Good luck everyone!
i have done2 hernia surgery on each side i have lot of pains  because of these surgery now  i have kidney  problems scrotum and stomach proble ms i cant stand for long sit or walk i am half dead waiting to be buried never ever trust thy doctor the more  you go to them the more you are near the grave