Urology Forum

Painfully Kidney Infections

I have been getting kidney infections approximately every 3 months for the past 18 years.  Last July, through cat scan and IV they discovered that I have a 2cm caliceal diverticulum on the interpolar region of my right kidney. There were no stones visible. The doc said that there was no need for any further procedures at this time.  Yet also said that a am running a risk of losing a kidney.  I am just recovering from another kidney infection that got very bad and have had enough! I went to a new doctor where he is recommending surgury in Boston.   Does this sound right and if so, do you have any further information.
Tough to make any recommendations without being personally involved in your case.  Other possibilities other than surgery would include shockwave lithotripsy, percutaneous surgery, retrograde ureteroscopy, and laparoscopy.  The choice of procedure depends on your individual case.  

You may want to discuss these options with your urologist.  Typically a urologist at a larger academic medical center (i.e. in a larger city) would have more experience.  If there continues to be conflicting treatment suggestions, there would be no harm in obtaining another opinion.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.