Urology Forum

Re: Kidney Stones??? or Kidney problems?

Posted By HFHA M.D.-MS on July 10, 1998 at 10:54:33:

In Reply to: Kidney Stones??? or  Kidney problems? posted by Mark on June 22, 1998 at 19:11:47:

Background....
I had a kidney stone removed seven years ago after sitting in the
hospital for three days.I have had similar pains as in the past,
which I relayed to my doctor, which he said I had small stones
passing. Well, after about a dozen or more (stones) symptoms, I
am  wondering if there is something else I (they) have overlooked.
I just got out of the hospital 20 hours ago where they 'looked'
with ultra sound and found a 4.5 mm stone in the center of the
kidney but never saw any stones in the process of 'going down'.
I have all the symptoms mentioned.  But I have one more symptom
that I have not read about...  that is a BLOATED ABDOMEN which
appears promptly as the stone 'supposedly' is there 'going down'
and disappears promptly as the stone 'supposedly' goes down
or goes away (somewhere?.
Question 1.  What causes this BLOATED ABDOMEN?
Question 2.  Could there NOT have been a stone 'going down'?
Question 3.  Why does ALL urine cease to flow during my symtoms.
(BOTH tubes from each Kidney allow ZERO URINE TO FLOW.  Until the passing???
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Mark
Thank you for your questions.
Some patients bowels slow down ( ileus ) when they are on large doses of narcotics or they are in pain from the passing stone. This is the only reason I can think of to explain intermittent bloating during kidney stone passage.   An ultrasound is fairly sensitive test to look for dilation of the kidney which suggest there is a stone in the ureter below.  The ureter itself is not visualized well with an ultrasound and if the stone was not causing a significant blockage of the ureter the ultrasound may miss the stone.  An IVP, (intravenous pyelogram) is a better test if you are not allergic to the medication used.  An IVP is an x-ray that uses contrast/ dye to outline the kidneys, ureter and bladder.  Also sometimes the stone in the kidney can cause pain without obstruction being demonstrated with an X-ray. In this case we offer patients surgical treatment for the stone but do not guarantee the pain will get better but it is worth a shot.  
Urine from the other kidney should continue to be produced at an accelerated rate because the other kidney is blocked.  If you experience no urine output while passing a stone you maybe experiencing blockage of both kidneys with stones.  This is very rare but very serious condition.  You need to seek medical attention immediately.      
More individualized care is available at the Henry Ford Hospital and its urban campuses by calling  (1 800 653 6568). We can also arrange local accommodations through this number if this is your need. Please bring any physicians notes and lab test results that you  may be able to obtain. These will help us greatly.
This information is provided for general medical education purposes only.  Please consult your physician for diagnostic and treatment options pertaining to your specific medical condition.
Sincerely;
HFHS-M.D. MS
* Keyword: kidney stones

Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.