Urology Forum

Re: Questions about my Penis???

Posted By Brad on June 21, 1999 at 12:35:00
I know that I can achieve an erection because I have many times in the past
through masturbation, oral sex as well as waking up almost every morning
having a complete erection.  My big problem is that when I achieve a full
erection it seems that I can't keep it for long.  Also, a few weeks ago I
was about to have intercourse with a girl, but I couldn't get it up (I was
drinking at the time so that could of been a factor.)
- My questions is that is it normal for most men not to be able to keep a
complete hard erection for a long time when not being pleasured by yourself
(masturbation) or someone else (oral sex or sexual intercourse)?
- Also, I'm on medication now because I had surgery on my knee, I'm using
Tylenol 3 for pain.  Can this medication be the cause of me not staying hard for
long?
- I have a cyst on one of my testicles and I was wondeing if that can
affect my penis from reaching longer in length as well as becoming harder
because if it does I might get it removed?  I was wondering if it can lead
to impotence?  Also, if I get it removed will it be a painful recovery or a
quick recovery?
- I purchased a penis enlargement manual from Men's Health and they suggest that
through ancient techniques, every man can enlarge his penis by 2"-4".  I read that they actually work from men around the world that use them, but then again I understand that it can be false information.   I'm just wondering if you think its wise to use these techniques?
I'd appreciate your insight and any info. you can give me.
Brad Pilon

Posted By Jeff on June 21, 1999 at 15:41:48
It appears that you attempted to have intercourse but failed due to your inability to have or maintain an erection, and you are now worried.  You have raised several issues that I, a non-medical person, will try to help with.
First, you are not clear as to whether your inability to maintain an erection occurred only this one time, or if it has occurred at other times.  You apparently have successfully had oral sex, and you can masturbate to climax, so you can certainly maintain an erection 'long enough'.  Vaginal intercourse should not be much different.  
If your inability to get an erection has occurred just this one time, then several factors may be at play.  First, the combination of drugs you were under formed a powerful depressant.  Alcohol is a depressant and, combined with the narcotic in the Tylenol 3, you were under a heavy spell.  You should have been warned to not combine these drugs, as the alcohol magnifies the depressant quality of the narcotic.  
Additionally, you may have been under some performance anxiety.  This would be particularly true if the girl was a "one night stand" and/or one who was coming on to you, as opposed to someone you had been intimate with before and who you felt relaxed with.  If the girl was a real girlfriend, you may need to confide in her your feelings.  Most likely, she will be willing to help you and this learning experience may further bond you two.  If, on the other hand, the girl was a pick-up, then you should probably refrain from such encounters again, or at least until you have regained your confidence.  
To answer your question "is it normal for most men not to be able to keep a complete hard erection for a long time when not being pleasured by yourself (masturbation) or someone else (oral sex or sexual intercourse)?"  Well, most men can certainly maintain an erection 'long enough' provided there is some type of sexual stimulation present, but an erection without such physical activity cannot be maintained for "long" periods of time.  I mean, if you are alone in a room and a beautiful woman comes in, disrobes, and starts giving you a show with the promise of sex to follow, a normal young man will quickly get an erection.  If she does not touch him, and he is not allowed to touch himself, after a while he will lose his erection, however.  If she finally comes over to have sex, though, and physical activity commences, it would be normal for the man to get his erection back, barring any inhibitions, physical incapacitation, or performance anxieties.  Does this answer your question?  

Regarding the cyst, I doubt that it can possibly be affecting your penis length.  You may want to show the cyst to your doctor, though, to ensure that it is ok.  He can answer any questions regarding removal that you have.  I would not think there would be a lengthy recovery period or excessive pain.  
Also, please throw away the penis enlargement kit.  At best, you may get a very small increase in length, but even that would be temporary and would go away when you stop using the device.  Though these devices are generally safe if used correctly, some are not and the risk of harm to a very precious part of your body is not worth any slight increase in size that most likely will never materialize.  I mean, sure you can pump yourself up and get a slight increase, but you will lose most all of it when your erection subsides.  So, what are you going to do when you get the girl - excuse yourself for a few minutes so you can pump yourself up to get that last quarter of an inch of size to impress her, then return ready for action?  I think she would notice, and dislike, your absence during this intimate time far more than she will appreciate any size increase.  Men make far more of penis size than women, and many women actually prefer the smaller size as being easier to accommodate and less stressful.  Think about it.  Would you want a giant salami slamming around inside of you???  Would you want to have to give oral sex to something so big it made your jaw cramp up???  Relax and be comfortable with yourself.  
I hope this helps.

Follow Ups:

Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.