This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Avatar universal

broken penis

My husband broke his penis one morning in March when he woke up.  He was still half asleep and pushed his erection backwards, away from him. He said he heard a Pop.  Over time it has gone from a slight bend to almost a 90 degree angle. Basically the top(3 inches)of his penis is "eye to eye" with his belly button when it is erect. He has pain and also there was some scar tissue.  His doctor put him on colchicine, which has done nothing.  He as been unable to get an appointment for further evaluation because he works so much, and the doctor is never available.

Intercourse is impossible. He can ejaculate, with some work.But the bend is very difficult to deal with, emotionally and physically for both of us.  I think he should be more agressive in trying to find a solution to this issue.He is a very sexual person and this is a huge blow to his ego and emotional state.  He says he doesn't feel like a man. This is understandable.  Emotional issues aside, Who can he call, Where can he go, What treatment is the most successful?  Is there a real solution? Is surgery the only answer? Does surgery work?  Can it resolve on it's own, when it seems to be getting worse? Is there something that he should be doing to improve his prognosis while we are looking for these answers.  Please answer as many of my questions as possible.

Please help us to find some answers and information.  Who can I contact to get more information.  Is there a main phone number or web site with the most current information and treatment options available.

Please Help.  Sincerely, Carla
Read more
Discussion is closed
Upvote - 0
1 Answers
Page 1 of 1
233190 tn?1278553401
Hello - thanks for asking your question.

A fractured penis is the traumatic rupture of the corpus cavernosum.  This needs to be evaluated by a urologist urgently.  

To answer your questions:
1) Depending on the site and severity of fracture, surgery may be the most effective form of treatment.  A urologist needs to evaluate your husband.  
2) In most cases, penile reconstruction would help solve the problem.  
3) Initial medical therapy consists of cold compresses, pressure dressings, and anti-inflammatory medications.  

Here is an article on penile fracture.  I suggest an urgent urological referral.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Discussion is closed