swelling on shaft below glans

This morning when I got out of the shower I noticed that
  the shaft of my penis, near the glans, was quite swollen and
  puffy. I haven't done anything unusual lately and I haven't had any sexual contact in several months, so I can't think of why I
  would suddenly have severe swelling. It doesn't hurt, and I doubt it's a terribly serious problem, but it's got me really worried,
  especially because a couple times in the last week I've also
  experienced pain when I urinated. I'm probably being paranoid, but
  I just wanted to know if I should see a doctor immediately, or
  wait to see if the swelling goes down.
Read more
Follow - 0
Upvote - 0

Dear Douglas,
Swelling (edema) along the penile shaft is a nonspecific symptom.  It may be caused by bacterial infection, insect bites, traumatic intercourse, allergic reactions, or part of general body swelling (as with congestive heart failure).
The appropriate evaluation would start with a thorough history and physical examination.  Subsequent studies may include a urinalysis.
This information is provided for general medical information purposes only. Please consult  your physician for diagnostic and treatment options pertaining to your specific medical condition. More individualized care is available through our department at the Henry Ford Hospital  and its suburban locations (I-800-653-6568).
* Keyword: Penile edema, penile swelling