This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Avatar universal

testicular transplant

Age 50

Following birth my testicles did not descend normally and remained undescended for a significant period. For this reason, or as a result of a significant fever over several days due to the mumphs, I have always been completely sterile (zero sperm count). Testosterone levels are below normal.

Additionally, I have substantial growth of varicose cele veins surrounding one testicle. Both testicles are small and/or undeveloped and produce relatively small quantities of semen.

I have read much of the available internet material on testicular transplants. Most cases seem to involve cancer patients and the preservation of fertility, wherein the patient essentially has one testicle removed and reattached following chemotherapy and/or radiation treatments.

My goal is not to become fertile, but rather to have normal size testicles free of varicose cele growth. Secondarily, I want to increase the quantity of testosterone and semen to normal levels.

Are testicular transplants from one man to another possible?  

If so, will such a transplant result in natural/normal production of testosterone?

Would such a transplant result in natural/normal production of semen?

Would such a transplant result in any genetic change to the recipient?

Is there a leading hospital, medical center or doctor in the study of testicular transplants?

Thank you.

Read more
Discussion is closed
Follow - 0
Upvote - 0
1 Answers
Page 1 of 1
233190 tn?1278553401
Hello - thanks for asking your question.

To my knowledge, I am not aware of a testicular transplant from one man to another.  You are correct in that most the data regarding testicular transplants are for the treatment of cancer after chemotherapy.

I did a Medline search and discussed this issue with several of my Urology colleagues.  As far as they could tell, testicular transplants from one man to another are rarely done, if ever.  

To be sure, I would discuss this issue with your urologist, but from my end, I am not aware of this procedure being performed.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Discussion is closed