Any ok Pain Medications for SEVERE back pains while pregnant

I've lived w/ severe back pain for as long as I can remember. Had my 1st son 8 yrs ago-after birth(thought I was going to die from pain during those 9 months!)saw MANY doctors - been told I have Spinal Stenosis, Fybromyalgia(SP?),Degenerative Spinal Cord Disease...Had back surgery 7 yrs ago-no help-Was on 120 MG of Oxycontin 2xs a day & 350MG of Percocet 2xs a day - then we found out we were pregnant. A real blessing, very happy but now Pain Management Doc is weening me off meds 20 MG @ a time. Currently on 40MG(Oxycontin)2xs a day 9 1/2 weeks pregnant. OB says Oxycontin is ok only side affect is baby will have withdrawal symptoms like crack babies/Pain Mgmt doc says no not good(I agree)- we have been trying to find an alternative. The pain is becoming extremely unbearable no matter what I do (was expecting this) Anyone know / hear of pain meds taken while pregnant, side affects...etc..There is no research done on any pain meds & pregnant women - maybe real life experiences can help us find something. I don't want complete pain relief - just enough to be able to work & live w/o crying in pain all day or wishing things that I shouldn't be.
i have heard (dont know how true) that darvocet and vicoden are ok while preggo.  but considering what you have been taking i dont know if it will do any more for you than a tylenol.  i am sorry but congrats on the pregnancy!
Your story sounds like a mirror almost of my own except I'm not pregnant. On the rare occasion that I have found myself thinking of having more children, the idea of my husband having to have a Vasectomy reversal isn't what stops me, it is the thought of having to live with the pain which is even worse when carrying a baby. So you are truly a BRAVE soul and I can totally empathize with you. I have also heard that Vicodin is a bit safer and I am on a new med called Lyrica which is actually for Diabetic patients but does a lot of good for the leg pain that goes hand in hand with the back pain. Maybe you could ask about that one.. Other than that,all I can suggest is that you get with your Pain Management Doc and tell him to get on the ball. You should NOT have to suffer needlessly if there is ANYTHING they can do.
I sure hope you get some answers. I know this is GREAT news about the new baby on board, but can be bittersweet.
The best of luck to you and your family!
--J
I had a healthy, happy baby boy on 5/500 mg of Vicodin three times a day. I would ask. He was 8'12" and three weeks early even!
This response may contain graphic content.
Please or to view.
I am in a very similar situation and am worrying myself to death.  I have severe right hip/leg pain and have been taking pain meds for nearly a year while trying to get diagnosed.  I am now 13 weeks pregnant(not planned but very welcomed!) and still in need of pain med.  I have been given hydrocodone w/apap 5/500 to take 3 times a day.  I only take it 1 to 2 times a day because it causes me so much guilt!  
Even though I need it due to extreme pain, I feel like I am hurting my baby. I don't know what to do!  Please let me know what you find out and I can do the same for you.  It is really nice to have someone to talk to other than people that don't seem to understand.  Most people I try to talk to around here tell me to deal with the pain until the baby comes.  Evidently, they have never suffered with chronic pain.
Please feel free to email me.  I would love to talk and offer any support I can.
***@****
i am 19 and was diagnosed with FM when i was 12 this syndrom has affected my school, social, and future life i have a severe case of Fm and CFS,  TMj i have not been taking medication for about 2 years now, i decided the medicine was causing me more harm then good, i was trying a more natural approach yoga  low impact yoga where deep breathing and slow stretching helped me alot  in certain position you can increase the oxygen flow to any part of your body which will increase the pain at first but after your done you feel revitalized it must be repeated throughout the day, you also need to eat healthy and take a one a day vitamin and a b complex vitamin, maintain good posture, if you are pregnant make sure you are not overdosing on vitamins you can also go to waiora .com and get a zeolite  ( read about it its amazing)  i know dealing with fm and cfs it is very hard to get motivated and the triggerd pain in the begininning is detoring but it is worth it and now i also just recently found out i am about 5 weeks pregnant and my body is relapsing horribly but i will continue to try naturallity because the medicine doesn't really help it makes your body more sick and cause more side effects wich gives the drug company and doctors more visits more drugs for you more money for them "population control" i also suggest reading  what "they" don't want you to know about natural cures and remedies take it seriously! remeber your mind is like a whole nother world so put it to it and you can accomplish anything! you are the only one that can help your self , everyonce in a while i would take  something  before i was pregnant but no matter what i tried, prescribed or not i only got a buzz no pain relief in fact most increased my tmj clinchin of my jaw which increased my head and neck pain and i almost tried everything when i was young...  good luck to you all
hey
hey my name is jamie im 21 yrs old and have had  severe back pain for 2 yrs and the doctors say my back is getting worse everyday ive been trying to have a baby for the last year but all my docors advice against it , all my meds were preventing me from getting pregnant lyrica and flexal they are very dangerous the only safe medicine is hydrocodone i take 10 /500 mg 6x day and i have recently found out i was pregnant it was a dream come true i found a good pain mangerment doctor who say i can have a baby i have to be on bed rest and i cant take no meds the 1st trimester but for the 2nd and 3rd i can take hydrocodonebut the problem is im in so much pain all the time i just want to scream i cant stop taking my medicine but im scaried of hurtin my baby so im affraid of tellin my doctor i limited my pills to 3 a day i dont know what to do?
I'm a 22 yo female and I have been suffering with severe hip/leg/lower lumbar pain since I fell down our porch steps while I was pregnant with my daughter a year ago and the only thing my doc could do was send me to a chiropracter(which makes it worse) and put me on soma's that made me way too sleepy to care for my child, I had to stop taking it all together. I'm pregnant again and I just know that the pain is only going to get worse....what should I do? I don't want to sound like a narcotics addict (due to my age)  if I ask a doc for it, I just need some relief....Any suggestions? Thank You In Advance!!
i was able to take tylenol w/codeine (3) when i was preg...good luck
I am 27 years old and was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia about two years ago. For those of you who do not know what that is, it is a widespread, chronic pain condition, for which there is no cure and medical professionals aren't really sure what causes it. I am currently on several different medications to lessen the levels of pain in my body. These medications include, oxycontin, percocet, and Lyrica.
My husband I would like to get pregnant and have been trying off and on for the last two years, to no avail. We want more than anything to have a child.
I have done research on taking these meds while pregnant but the reviews are mixed. I would like to know if there is anyone out there, who has FMS and has been on these medications or similar type medications and has gotten pregnant. I would like to know what, if any, meds you can take while pregnant. I do not want to harm my baby if I were to get pregnant but am also concerned that if I am in a tremendous amount of pain that I will be bedridden for 9 months and crying all day. The pain is just too much to deal with.
I did do some research on FMS and pregnancy and here is what I have found from the studies that have been done:
-Studies show that with female, pregnant FMS patients, the FMS symptoms/pain levels increase drastically while pregnant, especially during the third trimester.
-FMS also makes breast feeding more difficult as there is an increased amount of pain in the woman's body.
-There is also a greater chance and increased cases of women with FMS having postpartum depression after their pregnancy.
-The pain levels for the FMS after pregnancy continue to be greatly increased until about three months after the baby is born.

If anyone has any information that might be helpful to me and has experienced what I have written above, please post a response and let me know. There is not much information or studies on pregnancy, FMS, and the types of medications that can be used while you are pregnant. I am also very concerned because someone mentioned in another post that a mother with chronic pain who continued to take these meds while pregnant, had her baby taken from her after the baby was born because doctor's tested the baby for the medications mentioned above and showed the baby was positive for them.

I appreciate any information anyone has to offer that might be helpful for me.
Thank You!
This comment may contain graphic content.
Please or to view.
Please or to view.
I am so glad to see this site. We are currently trying to get pregnant and have almost all the same questions that all of you do. I was given tylox while pregnant with my first and it just barely helped. The pain for me is so bad I can barely move at times. I have been told that percocet is okay.
Please or to view.
hello
i am 23 years old and i am fourteen weeks pregnant. i was happy to see a blog like this because i feel that i can relate to many women whom in which are in similar situations as myself. i was in a severe car accident 2 1/2 almost 3 years ago right before my birthday which was almost fatal. fortunately i recovered due to many miracles i think:) however, i shattered 4 vertebrae and broke a few ribs as well as my arm and bones on the right side of my face. everything else has healed very well but i was told that the only way i would walk again was to have a very intense back surgery- a Thoracic Fusion. the fusion would be two rods and 8 screws that would connect the 4 missing vertebrae to the other parts of my spine in order to 'fuse' them back together again. this was done in a series of two separate very very painful (and long long recovery periods) surgeries. i am very lucky and can almost do anything that i used to do..i am a full-time college student and will have my masters' degree in one year and i work full-time as well. however, my OBGYN had even looked at me and said...."Sarah, if i had 4 shattered vertebrae among other problems that you have suffered from that accident and someone told me that they were going to take away the pain medication that you are on...i would strangle them."
Now, i do not in any way shape or form promote taking a narcotic while pregnant. this is not about me anymore and i realize that. but if you are someone who has never suffered an injury such as this or even similar then you have NO IDEA that the pain is do debilitating at times that i cannot even get out of bed. i will be honest, atleast 5 days out of 7 i cry and ache so bad that i dont want to move out of my room; but ironically..the best thing for me is to actually keep moving! once i lay down it hurts worse..(usually) unless i absolutely have to lay down. so anyway, yes i am working with my doctor to wean down on the medication...i am on 10/325 mg of percocet 4 times a day, but have been told that if i can get by without increasing this medication or even lowering to twice a day...then everything should be just fine. my mother and twin sister are both registered nurses and among other studies where doctors have monitored pregnant women on medications such as these, the main risks are involved after the child is born. which again, does not make it a better situation...or does not make it 'ok' but...like i said, you cant suffer too because that will put stress on the baby as well. so doctors know what they're talking about and just because people read on here that a woman is on a 'DRUG' or 'NARCOTIC' they flip out and dont fully understand the situation. hope this helps:) thankyou
my doctor thinks the narcoticics will hurt the baby, but i can bearly move most of the time. i had a l1-t12 fushion and am now almost 7 months pregent what can i do?
i am 26 weeks pergangt i will be 27 weeks monday .... i have had sever tooth aches. i have a ab sect tooth and the denist cant pull it so i have been taking a half of a hydro 7.5 a day 4 like 3 weeks now and im so scared im hurting my baby boy.... i know the first trimester is the worst to take anything so i never did but my tooth hurts so bad that tynoel does not help at all.. will this hurt my baby
Sure, bigrigmommy, methadone is safe for YOU, the MOTHER. Your baby however can experience WEEKS of screaming, tremors, feeding disturbances, diarrhea, did I mention SCREAMING to the point where he/she needs morphine and ativan to keep him calm, again taking weeks to taper off? Seen it dozens of times as a NICU nurse. Once you are pregnant, honey, it ain't all about YOU anymore, so consider the other life you are affecting.
Please or to view.
I have had two children while on pain meds. The first one I was taking percs and tylox, she had no problems at all and is a beautiful 9 year old. The second they put me on the duragesic patch. My daughter had to stay in the nicu to be withdrawn but is an amazingly smart 7 year old. I do not recommend the patch at all. I can't remember much of anything from when I was on it and the withdrawal was the worst experience of my life. I am now pregnant again, only 6 weeks. I currently take oxycodone, and I'm not sure whether it is safe yet or not. I go to the ob next week. I hope this helps you!
Hi. Im katie, I'm 25, my fiance and I want to have a baby like... yesterday! lol but he doesn't know that Iam severely addicted to norcos, ambien and/or any type of narcotic.. the one I specifically take are these (hydrocodone 10/325) given to me by doctors and ill take anywhere from 4-6 in a 16 hr day...now, I suffer from severe cervical, thoracix, and lumber back pain, as well as recently being diagnosed with fibromialgia  :(   (ya it sux) and ive tried to get off the meds but not only does my pain go from severe, it goes death pain, Im worried that when/if i get pregnant if ill be allowed to take the norcos? And I wonder how harmful they are to the fetus.. if anyone has some help or tips please please help me..
Please or to view.
I realize you have had your baby already. I hope you figured something out to deal with the pain.  These people who are telling you to meditate, breath, maintain good posture etc have NO idea what it is like to have to live in the  kind if pain you are living in.  I do, however, and I have never had a child because of the pain in which I suffer.  You ARE a brave woman!  I know that Demerol DOES NOT cross the placenta.  I don't know if it is available in a dosage form other than an injectable.  However, because it does not enter the baby's blood supply, and is therefore safe for baby, I think they should be working out a way to make it available to pregnant women whoi are in chronic pain, to use to control the pain.   Also nerontin, and lyrica, do not work as well as well as would like to say they do.  Most of the time they are taken along with opiates.
I saw your post about pain management durring pregnancy. I dont know where you live but I am in freehold NJ and I can't find a pain management doctor who will treat me. My current pain management dr dropped me. Would you mind if I asked who treated you durring your pregnancy? I really need help.Thank you
Kim
My name is Kim I'm 28 yrs old and currently 19 weeks pregnant. I have had severe back pain since 2008 and have been on pain medications since. Hydro and Oxy 5 mg for break through. My OBGYN and the high risk specialist at the hospital told me the medications were safe for the baby and should not be stopped, but my pain management doctor dropped me as a patient when I told him I was pregnant. No this pregnancy was not planned but i refuse to have an abortion! I just don't know what to do. I can't find a single doctor in NJ who will treat a pregnant woman! I have not had a minute to enjoy this pregnancy between fear and pain. If anyone knows a doctor who can help me or has any advice PLEASE let me know.
Oh this is from 2006... Idk if I'll get an answer here but I'll try. I suffer from fibromyalgia. I just found out I am preg with my first baby (8weeks). I cannot begin to describe the unbearable all over pain, but the one that is driving me insane is my back pain. I was taking tramadol 100mg 3 times a day and 2mg of clonazepam at bedtime. Not anymore... I was taken off these meds, along with my chronic migraine meds. I am allergic to codeine so anything containing it is completely out of the question. I have not always had this allergy and Vicodin would help me get though the day, not any more. I am still looking for an obgyn. I have tried heat and cold on the spots that are extremely sore and that helps for like 5 min. Please if someone here found comfort for their pain and your baby is healthy plz help me by giving me a bit of advice. Thank you so much in advance!!
1