On the Depo Shot and seeing pregnancy symptoms, am i pregnant?

I'm worried that I may be pregnant. I've taken pregnacy tests before, because I'm always a little nervous whenever my period is late. But I've never completely missed a period, and when they're late it's usually only a week or a few days. I got the depo shot on March 20th of this year, and had my regular period after that, and then last month, i completely missed it. I don't know if this is because of the shot. But, I have been extremely tired, I fall asleep at random times during the day. I've never been that way, either. I've been nauseated without throwing up for about the same amount of time i've been over-tired (a couple weeks) and i've been getting cramps without ever started my period. I haven't even spotted. I have an increased need to urinate, but not too noticeably. My taste in food has changed dramatically. I used to love eggs and I can't even stand to smell them now. I might just have myself worked up and nervous but I would appreciate your thoughts on this. I did the whole "enter the date of the first day of your last period, and the average length of your cycle" and it said that the days i ovulated fell over the time i had sex. so, i'm a little worried.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I've been on depo for 9 months. In the past month I am feeling pregnancy symptoms like dry heaving and bloating. Now my breasts are tender and I felt contractions right above my pubic bone a few days ago. I've had negative pregnancy tests including blood tests. Can I be pregnant or am I just going crazy. - Amy. I also have 3 children so I'm sure it was contractions I was feeling.
Helpful - 2
I've been on it for 2 months and have been having unprotected sex since I've gotten it, even before. I'm starting to notice the changes in my, tender breasts, pain, headaches, morning sickness(but not throwing up). I have real bad bloading and notice some weight gain. I hope you could tell me if I'm pregnant or not...
Hi I have been on depi on and off for 10 years I am 23 and have two kids (i was not on depo at the time of either)  I have been getting my shots now for almost a year pretty much on time but when it comes close to them getting due I start my period. I am now 2 days late on my shot and still no period. I have also been getting alot of the same symptoms I had when I was pregnant with my first two. Do you think I should worry???
Helpful - 0
I know when I got the Depo shot they told me to use protection for the first 2 weeks.  I only got 2 shots of Depo...at first my periods were normal then I didnt have one and then by the second shot I was bleeding about everyday.  If you really think your pregnant then go get a blood test done.  But women on Depo usually dont have periods or have very light ones...but its different in everyone.
Helpful - 0
I was on Depo for several years.  I had my first period after the shot and then nothing again until I went off of it several years later.  I had the same thing happen to me many times. I would think I was pregnant.  I woudl go and get tested and it would come up negative.  At one point I even had discharge from my nipples.  That time the doctor had me come back for about 5 different tests (they did not do blood tests there yet).  She told me she was pretty sure I was pregnant but that it was just too early for the test to show.  Finally after about the 5th or 6th test, she said I was not pregnant.  

Depo basically makes your body think you are pregnant so that you will not release an egg. So you often experience pregnancy like symptoms -- that are in reality nothing at all.  

Try taking an HPT with first morning urine and see what results you get.  If negative, wait a week or two and test again.  IF it is still negative, I would say you are in the clear, but you can always visit the dr. to confirm.  

Good luck to you.

Amanda
Helpful - 0
I took the shot a month ago the doc told me it would not work for 2 weeks.  I was sposto start in that 2 weeks and never did. I have had tierdness,tender breast,i cry easly, and i feel sick i get cramps and i just started a brownish spoting. ive taken the 5 days erly pregnancy test came out negtive.
Helpful - 0
I just got the depo shot about 4 weeks ago and my breasts will not stop hurting i get pelvic pains,and have to pee alot too  they say that some of the depo shot side effects are similiar to being pregnant i dont like what the shot is doing to me can somone  tell me if this is normal or could i be pregnant on depo
Helpful - 0
Hi, I have been on depo over 5 years as well as a year and a half between children.  No problems getting pregnant when I stopped the 1st time and no side affects apart from bad skin.  I might have put on weight put was still carrying weight from pregnancy so didn't really notice.  The last two times I've got my depo shot I have vommited about a minute after getting it then felt nauseous for days.  My breasts have gotten bigger and are sore, my stomach is swollen, I've put on 3kg, my pelvis hurts (like it did when I was pregnant) and I need to pee more. I have taken 2 home pregnancy tests which have both been negative.  I assume I'm not pregnant but my body is now reacting to the depo.  I'd like to know if anyone who has experience similar symptoms has been pregnant or if it is just a depo side affect.  I'm going to get a blood test from the doctor to make sure.
Helpful - 0
every since Ive had tha depo i aint never had a period.... but lately ive been filling symptoms of pregnancy...i just had a miscarriage about a month or so ago too...so could i really be pregnant thiz time...
Helpful - 0
hey im new at thiz all if someone could help me out i would really appreciate it....
Helpful - 0
i had the depo provera on december and is due april and i waited the right time to have unprotected sex and to let my boyfriend ejaculate in me for the first time and i was so panicy thinking i was pregnant i didnt get any signs i took a test and was negative and again my boyfriend ejaculated in me now i starting to get brown rims arounf my nipples thats it and its only been around 12 hours since we had unprotected sex could i be pregnant if imon Depo Provera ??? please email me the answer on gemziieh-***@**** x
Helpful - 0
I just got the depo shot in march of 2010 now it is time for me to get my next shot I wonder if I should. I have not seen my period sense the time of getting my first shot. I had the same experience feeling pregnant but when I took the prego test it say negative so I guess it is the birth control. It does make your body think it is pregnant! And to be honest I hate being pregnant it feels miserable that's why Im skeptical about what to do with this DEPO. I don't want to really be pregnant because I'm not ready for that responsibility but then I dont want to feel pregnant either! I want my period to come on I actually like my period because I know I am healthy and its a natural thing. Then the thought of me not having my period places fear that this depo will cause some health problems and that's not cool. I want to use protection more often are their places in maryland where me and my boyfriend can go to help educate him on using condoms. He still will not use condoms with me and now he is talking about having children. I wish there were birth control for men!
Helpful - 0
I feel all the symptoms I felt when
I was first pregnant with my son aboutt a month after getting the depo shot it seems to me that it is a common complaint among people on the shot to feel as tho they are pregnant. If your really worried get a test or two and take them but do yourself a favor and take a nice relaxing breath because chances are if you followed the drs orders after getting the shot you are not pregnant
Helpful - 0
i got my depo shot not too long ago.. my doctor idnt tell me anything.. he took a test before the shot and it was negative, but he told me if i was it could take a few day for it to settle in the uterus.. i had sex that day and every night before fer a week.. we wuld use codos but usually half way through or just before he was ready to let go.. i fell as if i could be and i am worried.. what should i do. i should of had my period the day of the shot or a day or two before..
- bratpack540
Helpful - 0
so i got my first shot of Depo and had unprotected sex the 2 weeks the Dr said not to. now a month latter im very nauseated, emotional, my apatite has changed dramatically, and im tired all the time. And i havnt had a period at all. No spotting, nothing. Im about a week late right now. I took 2 pregnancy tests about 1 1/2 weeks ago and they both came back negative. Im wondering if i took the test to soon and i could be pregnant or if its just the shot. if it is just the shot. this *****
Helpful - 0
i got the depo shot sometime in late september. before hand i was having sex but unprotected, occasionaly a condom or two. recently i have been having bloating, nausia, extremely tired, and cramps here and there. i got these symptoms the last time i thought i was pregnant. after i got the shot i had unprotected sex cause i thought the shot worked right away, but reading this i found out that i had to wait two weeks to have unprotected sex. i have had these symptoms for about a month now. no throwing up, but being nauseated. the bloating won't go down and i have to pee more. i haven't taken any tests.
Helpful - 0
I got my depo shot on nov.19 my doctor told me not to have sex and if I do use a condom well I had sex nov.22 with no pprotection even though my bf pulled out I think I'm pregnant because I missed my period which was suppose to come on dec.2 it is now dec.5 and still no sign of my period this is crazY I'm freaking out but tomorrow I will take a a test to see what's really good.
Helpful - 0
were you pregnant?
im on the depo i've had about 3 shots of it, it's now january! but i never have periods on the depo but latley, my stomache has become a little bigger, iv even started spotting a dark brown now going a brown red colour, my boobs have got bigger, im feeling sick and very very tired, i feel as if i need to sleep all the time, im also craving red onion as weird as that may sound, im also needing to use the bathroom alot, as where i use to be able to hold it through the night without needing the toilet, now i go at least twice in the night, do you think im pregnant?
Helpful - 0
I have got the shot twice but got the second one 7 days late is there anyway I could be pregnant? I've been eating a lot more but I don't want to think I'm pregnat and make my body feel like its pregnant can anyone help???
Helpful - 0
Hey, my friend was on the depo needle and she missed periods completely every once in awhile. Any form of birthcontrol can cause symptoms like this, it could be nothing. I would like to tell you that my friend did end up getting pregnant, they told her when she went to get her next needle (they took a test like always) I believe this is due to her health issues though, her horomones messed with the horomones of the needle and it didnt work, also she was given drugs at a hospital for her appendex.
Helpful - 0
Okaa. Im 17 I got the depo in january 2011. In febuary I got the flu they gave me antibotics and my period came right on time then I got a kidney infection only a week or two later once again more antibiotics. Its now march my period is exactly two weeks late. Is there a possiblity im pregnant? Please respond with the "17 year old" so I know your comment is for me. I also took two pregnancy tests which came back negative I have every single symptom! I did this thing online to see how far along I am and every symptom matched each week..iim going nuts.
Helpful - 0
Helpful - 0
I have heard that Depo throws off urine pregnacy test and makes them negative. you might want to go the doctor and get a blood test done.

Good luck to you,
Helpful - 0
okay i got the shot on april 13 2011 well unfortunatly i wasnt smart and had sex the same day about 2 hours later unprotected. and alot of times after even recently. i know not smart. we want a baby but then again we wanna wait until everything is settled. ive been on it a little over a month now and i have been spotting since april 30 and i havent stopped. its driving me crazy and i know its prob gross but its been light so we still have sex. its not a dark color either its almost like a bright red sometimes but light like hardly bleeding. ive been having sever headaches stomach pains back pains shoulder pains ive been extreamly nausiated but havent vomited yet and my stomach is the only thing getting bigger with my weight gain and rounding. im not sure if this is normal or if im pregnant can anyone tell me i just need to know ive takin a test and it says no but i feel pregnant. even feels like butterflys in my stomach sometimes. help!!!
Helpful - 0
I had my son in April '09, as soon as I could get on BC I got on Depo. I haven't had a period since then. But this past week, I was complaining about having sore breast but I thought it was from too much coffee cuz thats happened to me before. Then I went to doc this week, told her to test my urine bcuz I thought I had a UTI bcuz I felt nauseated which I usually when I have a UTI. There was no infection. Then the next day, I squeezed on my nipple and Pure Milk came out. I keep hoping I'm dreaming but I've done like three more times and there it is, MILK! What do u think? Am I preggo? UGH!
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health Community

STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.