Profuse Sweating

I have a severe problem with profuse sweating...I have had it for as long as I can remember...I can't keep my hair dry..my face is wet and dripping with sweat it's very embarrasing and disabeling.  I can walk from my front door to the car and my face is sweating like I had ran a marathon...I can't go on like this I need suggestions please.  I am 56 weight about 230 and in good health otherwise.  I take asthma medication singular and abluteral inhaler as needed.  Is there a medication I can take or a surgery? I can't stand this any longer it's living hell.  I don't mean to sound so desperate but it's horrible to live like this I cry about it and stay so miserable. It can be below zero outside and I sweat...If I just sweep the floor I get so hot I have to take a break to cool down...the smallest amount of exercise makes me sweat badly. Sweat pours from my face, my back my clothes stick to me and my makeup runs off. ,my hair is wet...my face gets blood red and I'm just miserable daily.  Is there an answer I would really appreciate some help.  Thank you
   i am 58 and  i have the same problem started about 6 months ago,minimal physical activity brings on profuse sweating, especially my face and neck,  i need a towel to dry with,    i hate it     Ann
I've been having Steroid Injections for disc problems in my lower back.  The immediate side effect is "flushing", or red face and neck.  I started having profuse sweating in January and the red face appears along with the dripping hair.  I look horrible, and nobody else even seems to be warm.  We went on a cruise, and just getting ready for dinner would mean disaster.  Then I'd settle down with the air conditioner cranked up - and the walk to dinner would get me red faced and sweating again.  I'm beginning to think it is the shots causing this.  So glad my husband found this blog, I thought I was a freak!
This response may contain graphic content.
Please or to view.
I too have the same problem. I have CFS/so they say and slight low thyroid and slight diabetes. The hot full body flushes have got worse even in cold and the sweating which is profuse mainly from my head which drips down my face. I had a full hysterectomy 8 yrs ago and did HRT pellet Sotto therapy. I think things were better then. Going back to have it done again to see if the low hormones is the culprit...actually I have 0 estrogen! So, first have your thyroid checked and your hormone levels done. It's a good start. This condition is truly debilitating. If you find the culprit please share your findings. Truly, I don't think doctors give a damn. Thanks for your input! Susan
I have the same problem/scenario. Profuse sweating and full heat body flushes...they came on slowly but are way to debilitating now. I had a full hyster 8 yrs ago and was on Sotto pellet therapy which I thought gave me some relief. Have your thyroid levels done (complete) and hormone levels. I'm going back to the Sotto pellet therapy to see if it will control these issues. I am 60 yrs old. Actually, I cannot take it anymore. Please let me know if you have found the culprit/or what you have found or done about your problem! Thanks for sharing your condition...I am not alone!! Susan
Thank you for your tip on the drug for profuse sweating! I will look into it asap.....it's a horrid life living like this Hope it can help me!!.Thanks again!!
I just found this page and its 4/29/14.  Please tell me someone has found an answer.  My daughter is 20 and has been dealing with this for the last 6 years.  I am almost 50 and have been affected for the last few years as well.  It must be a hormone that the doctors don't recognize. thanks for sharing ladies.  I'm going to search if its a gender issue because that may help us find the answer.
thanks again
This is a few years out, just found your comment. Sitting here with my back dripping with sweat after just walking around my house. It's only 76 degrees in here. It DOES affect my desire to leave the house/work etc. I too am overweight, am dealing with sns overstimulation/anxiety. I'm also looking to lose weight as I'm desperate to become more available to my children--all of whom are 10 and under. Your suggestion brought me much encouragement. Thanks!!!
Have you tried coconut "ice cream" sooo delicious and non dairy!
thx for posting your findings on excessive sweating.  It is very interesting as I suffer as well... and like you take citalopran and omeprezole (sorry about spelling)  Are you still alot better?
I am going to be 57 years old next month, I am 230 pounds. I had a total hysterectomy at 38 years old with no hormone replacement due to high cancer risk in my family.  I sweat continuously, fresh out of the shower, trying to get dressed for work clothes sticking to me, sweat running through my hair down my face down, my back it's absolutely horrible.  if I kiss someone they usually say I feel cold, my cheeks my nose are ice cold, but I'm burning up!  please tell me there's something out there to help this.
Hi painterswife,

I just set up my account and haven't even had a chance to post but I, too, take Omeprazole, twice a day, along with Effexor for help with help with constant pain.  I have an appointment with my doctor on Friday but in the meantime, I'll try cutting back on the Omeprazole and see if it makes a difference.  

If it does, my doctor may be able to prescribe a drug similar to the Effexor-SR, as I don't think I can go without the Omeprazole.  I've had an ulcer that acts up now and then since I was 16.  Then I developed GERD, when I was
I know that some medications can cause a sweating side effect for some people. Trial and error can determine if that is the cause.  If not, it has been said that the newly modified food we eat can cause many, many symptoms including excessive perspiration, muscle aches, digestive difficulties.  A trial low carb--low refined sugar diet will often reveal food as the culprit.  I know I can not tolerate much of the modern carbohydrates in today's food and will sweat profusely if I eat more than 50 grams a day.  I must stick to a low carb diet, eating lots of fruits and vegetables or I pay the price like nearly everyone who has posted on this site.  It is worth a try if you are really suffering.
Please or to view.
Went to a church concert last night and as I was sitting with a girlfriend I started my sweating routine.  I feel drips off my hair and my chest, upper back and face.  I am so happy I wore a short cover-up because it became my sweat towel.  One day I was visiting my best friend and here it goes again ... I actually had to remove my blouse.  Bedtime, the same as many.

I read all the posts and I feel sorry for all of us.  My question is what is/are the answers?  I feel this condition will make a lot of us homebound ... how sad.

WE NEED ANSWERS ... please  
Hello to everyone, I believe that for me it is my Effexor that has been causing my excessive sweating, I started taking it about 13 years ago and have been sweating so much since but only when I am moving around, if I am sitting still for a while I will get cold.  Effexor is know to cause excessive sweating so I am sure that there are many other medications out there that do the same.  I am now attempting to come off my antidepressant because the sweating is very depressing and limits me greatly.  But because of having fibromyalgia my pain is getting worse as I am tapering off the Effexor because it is great for fibromyalgia pain.  I don't know what I am going to do, I may have to go back on it, if I am in this much pain I can't do anything anyways.  I do want to try Cymbalta instead it is suppose to help fibromyalgia suffers and depression but one of the symptoms is also sweating but hopefully it won't make me sweat.  I am so happy that my family is so understanding of this. I hope this little bit of information helps someone out there,
Cymbalta causes sweating also, plus bruising.
I believe that for me it is my Effexor that has been causing my excessive sweating, I started taking it about 13 years ago and have been sweating so much since but only when I am moving around, if I am sitting still for a while I will get cold.  Effexor is know to cause excessive sweating so I am sure that there are many other medications out there that do the same.  I am now attempting to come off my antidepressant because the sweating is very depressing and limits me greatly.  But because of having fibromyalgia my pain is getting worse as I am tapering off the Effexor because it is great for fibromyalgia pain.  I don't know what I am going to do, I may have to go back on it, if I am in this much pain I can't do anything anyways.  I do want to try Cymbalta instead it is suppose to help fibromyalgia suffers and depression but one of the symptoms is also sweating but hopefully it won't make me sweat. Perhaps it is the Effexor that is causing the sweating for you also  I hope this little bit of information helps.
I have the same problem as Summersville girl. Did you find a solution or does any have a solution?

Please!

Thanks,
smylie4me
I have had excessive sweating since I was a child. I am now 58. About 5 years post menopause.  I break a  sweat at the drop of a hat, and it is especially difficult at work, I work as a caregiver. Once I start giving showers to our residents I am drenched in sweat, but I can start sweating just getting them up and dressed! I carry around a handkerchief in my uniform pocket to mop up sweat from my face. My hair stays wet, not damp, as does my bra and underwear - despite lots of powder! Ironically, my arm pits stay dry, I wear a good anti-perspirant, I suppose.
My doc prescribed glycopyrrolate (1 mg) tablets to take. They don't help much.
If anyone finds a solution.....let us know!
hi i have been having a lot of sweating red face for about 4 6 years  i am on the stomach tablet like you omiprazole  how long did it take for the sweating to decrease please
I sweat like crazy with minimal effort.  I am not overweight.  My hair is soaking wet.  My face is red and hot.  My under breasts is wet. It is not so much my underarms, but mostly my head.  My clothes stick to me.  When I have a bad stomach ache, I sweat to the point it drips off of me and my hair is wet.  I have to take off my clothes as they stick to me, and I am so hot I can't stand them on me.  I won't be moving around at all-it is just due to pain.  (This started early on, before I was on most of my meds.)  I am on lots of meds due to chronic health conditions.  I am 44 and possibly just starting perimenopause.  My lutein producing hormone is fairly low, but in the regular range, so I think I still produce eggs, not sure.  (I had a hysterectomy about 7 years ago, but kept my ovaries, lost everything else.)  It is so irritating to be soaking wet for nothing! My face gets so hot and red it is ridiculous.  Why oh why has no one figured this out?  I need a break.
Please or to view.
Exactly what's happening to me.  I just moved to Texas and it just 'started'  - humidity?  stress?  high blood pressure?  Just had back, neck surgery and just found out I have a genetic heart problem.  Not enough stress right?  I have been have on and off hot flashes for about 20 years but never like this...

Home remedy...try this.  I know it sounds wacky but..pick up some peppermint oil at your health food store.  It comes in a tube (roll-on)...put some cold water on the back of your neck and rub the peppermint on...cools you right down!  Use it as much as you need to...or wherever else you might need to...

Also, I sleep on a towel with iced rolled into it...helps.

Hope this gives you a little relief.  My own answer is ...MOVE BACK HOME and get rid of the stress, right?

I have had my thyroid removed at age 21. At age 44 had to have a hysterectomy and went on hormones. They took me off about 10 years ago and I have had a sweating problem every since. Have tried everything.....going back on hormones, over the counter drugs for hot flashes. Most annoying is taking a shower and afterwards need to take another. I am going to insist on a full thyroid work up to see what can be done and also found there is a diet for this..lipten diet
When I decided I had enough of this getting soaked from minimal exertion, I really wasn't sure if I would have any luck finding any answers. Imagine how glad I was to see so many others had the same problem. I have written down all the suggestions and am going to research them all. I will report wheat I find out. So glad I am not alone!
The only that we all seem to have is anxiety and stress.
Many of us take Effexor as well.
I am with the group who has had hysterectomies .
When they check thyroid , do I need a more in depth test than
the usual scan?
Please or to view.
I too have been hunting for answers. I have been on Citalopram now for 1 year. I have gone thru the other side effects and still have the sleepyness.. i could take a 4 hour nap in the middle of the day and still go to bed at 830  which is normally not me.  But i still have this excessive sweating..  i dont have to do anything and its there..  soaking my clothes and i am at work in the medical field so this just doesnt work when im around my patients.  I can just walk into a room and if the AC kicks on and changes the temp a half of a degree its game on.. sweating like crazy.. is there any natural supplements that I can take that anyone had tried???

Its starting to rule my life, and i dont bother with makeup or doing my hair as well.. there is no point in that.. and sleeping it has to be freezing and i still have the fan on me...it doesnt matter day or night.. i get hit with it constantly... so any ideas to helpI would welcome greatfully!!
Hello, i have just read about your horrid problem, and saw that it sounds very similar to mine. I have terrible sweats, every day all day. I cannot go out as i am always soaked, and look as though i have just showered. My hair drips, and my face is a wonderful shade of red/blue. :(  I am 61 and also have Angina, type 2 diabetes. and oestoarthritis too.  Feel very low, as i no longer have my darling husband.  I really hope someone can help me please, thank you xx
I've been reading a lot of these comments and I'm curious if most of us have back problems. I too sweat my self a pool daily. the people at the office ask what I've been doing and I laugh and tell them typing. the sweat beads and runs off my face all day every day I am just soaked from my beasts up. I can be wearing sweats and freeze on my lower half but my upper body is naked in front of a fan just dripping into my eyes and down my neck!!! this is so frustrating!!!! not to mention I feel sticky and ask everyone around me if I'm stinky all the time... 25 female taking zoloft.
I am 65 yrs for the last 18 months I have been sweating profusely (ice cold sweats) my hair drips as does my face,my whole body is wringing wet right down to underclothes, I am not hot as I'm freezing to touch,it happens both after moving around and when I'm sitting still. I cannot go on like this,I'm avoiding going out as it just comes on without any warning,I have an under active thyroid and I take medication. It isn't related to change as I had hysterectomy at 27yrs and it forced an early change. I have to put extra clothes on while I'm sweating as I'm freezing cold,and no matter how I try I cannot get my skin dried. What can I do?
I had a total hysterectomy 4yrs ago and now I constantly sweat, including my feet with open toe sandals. I'm aware that I will have the hot flashes and night sweats, but did not know that I will constantly have sweaty feet.
i have the same thing,,,any ideas
I've been going thru all the same issues... I'm working on having my thyroid checked.  U need to have ur free T3 and freeT4 checked plus vit D....that's what I was told to do so I'm doing it. If it works to stop the sweating I will let everyone know
Please or to view.
Please or to view.
Please or to view.
It has made me feel so much better hearing all your stories. I too suffer the same way all of u do.  It really *****.  They have run so many tests to no avail. I do take omeprazole also. I am going to ask my doctor about Rubinol. Good luck everyone.
I am 52 and have suffered for over ten years now I blow dry my hair ten mins later its soaked through with sweat It runs down my back wetting my uniform it stings my eyes I too dont bother with make up. I rarely go out because its too embarrasing I have been on HRT for four months no change had my thyroid checked is normal im fed up and sad that it controls my life .....
I had this problem in middle school and high school and I cried about it every damn day. I believe the cause is food allergies and intolerances. Get tested for them.  But keep in mind it could be an intolerance that doesnt show up as well . I was allergic to soy and dairy- eliminating those made the worst of it calm down, then eliminating high fat foods (chocolate egg yolks coconut and ANY form of oils even olive oil or fish oil, also had to eliminate olive and avocado which are high fat, I dont eat chips obviously bc theres too much fat. For milk I switched to non dairy types. I hope this helps some of you. Took me ten years to be able to figure that out. Never give up guys!
Please or to view.
I have this problem and the only solution so far is to take a ice pack, about 10 inchers long by anywhere from two inches to four, wrap in a thin towel and place around the back of my neck. aIn about 5 min the sweating stops. It's like msgic, but cannot be done at a social gathering, that's the only problem!
I have the same problem. My main argument about Rubinol is that it is an anticholinergic. There is increasing evidence that AC's increase the risk/incidence of Alzheimer's Disease. Personally, I would be happy to find comfortable, absorbant cotton padding for my back. I see plenty of underarm pads and bra shields, but no one seems to have addressed the raingutter down the middle of my back. Suggestions? Rolled wash cloth in waistband during exercise is minimally helpful.
Hi I've read all this page and can't believe there are so many people like me. I have reached the point now I can't take it anymore, especially when people tell me it's only sweating!!! I am so low now. I never leave the house now and avoid any exertion at all. Don't feel like theres any point going on. I've got the doctors tomorrow so I hope he can help. Been to many many doctors and none have been able to help . Many just tell me to keep wearing no makeup and my hair up. Not a good look for me. I feel so ugly and unfeminine.
HWW
I too experience the discomfort, concern, feelings of loss of 'normalcy', identified by so many who have posted comments. What truly appals me is the apparent lack of research into the causes of this experience. For years the cause of my discomfort has gone undiagnosed - but there has been no shortage of willing doctors to write out prescriptions for the 'symptoms'. I want a fair shot at recovery, not just pill-bottle-management of this alarming, many-times-a-day debilitating experience. Is this an unreasonable expectation ?
Hi everyone, likewise, I am also a victim of excessive sweating.  I dare to say that it has definitely controlled and restricted me to do a lot of things that I want to do. (just to name a few: eating in an alfresco dining, a walk/stroll at a park, hugging, interaction with customers during work etc...) I have been suffering for the last x years, ever since I started heaeing remarks from others asking if "are you ok? Do you have a fever or something?" or even nastier remarks like "can you stop sweating like a pig? It's seriously dripping all over and it is disgusting". Well...it is not like we asked for such a condition to happen unto us neither do we want ourselves drenched in sweat. We all do want to stay dry and fresh. I mean who wouldn't. Anyways, about a year ago, I consulted a skin specialist and he prescribed me with rubinol (glycopyrolate) pills after asking many questions to  confirm if I really want to consume these pills. Now, I'm no qualified doctor or pharmacist that knows exactly the mechanism of how this pills work. But I dare say that I am a patient who took these pills for a good full month or so and gave up eventually. Before anyone starts questioning my reason for giving up on this medication. Let me remind you guys once more that I am no doctor or pharmacist specialised in medication or so, but simply one who was prescribed these pills. So, the reason for not continuing with this medication was mainly because of it's side effects. Yes, there are side effects to these pills. (If I'm not wrong, if you were to google Rubinol or Glycopyrolate, the list of side effects would be shown). After taking these pills, I often felt dehydrated and my head would start spinning so badly (severe headache) and my speech would sometimes be incoherent (according to my friends). The worst part was the headache to be honest. It's really no ordinary headache but a slow and pounding pain. I could not concentrate on my lectures and although I did not sweat as much, but from time to time I realised I started  having cold sweat instead. Well, this is just my experience. It may differ from person to person. I have stopped taking rubinol for quite some time because the pain is really unbearable for me. I do still sweat a lot and my life still remains as wet and different from a normal person. But I find myself more happier and less burdened (pain wise) compared to those days where I took the pills. I am definitively still hoping that someday, someone may help us with our silent conditjon that restricts us to do things that we want to do. For us to live comfortable and normally once again, thus, let's just remind each other for now, that at least YOU are NOT alone and that WE are ALL IN THIS TOGETHER (cues in HSM). Cheers!
Please or to view.
This started for me over 30yrs ago.
It started right after a back injury. I still have problems with my lower back. I wonder how many others have had back injuries. Also I was told it's heredity. My mother did sweat also. We are the baby boomers with all kinds of new stuff happening to us. Makes one wonder
I have just read many of the answers to this question.  My symptoms are very close to exactly the same as many of you.  I'm 47 now and have had this problem for at least 10 years.  I've been through tests for so many things and never got an answer.  I'm still searching.  One thing I noticed that was a recurring pattern in some of your answers was Omeprazole or brand name of Prilosec.  I've taken Omeprazole for many years and I think it's a possible answer.  I was just starting to try benadryl since that's been mentioned a lot in my research.  Now I think I'll try switching from Omeprazole to a different stomach medication.  Please mention if you also take this medication in your answers.  It could be helpful. I'll come back and let you know if anything seems to work or not.
I have read the thread and I also have the same problem, I sweat almost constant and have since 2002. I have to wear a towel on my head most of the time. Its my face, neck, back and head. I cant hardly see from the drenching sweats with little to no activity to bring them on. Its desroyed my quality of  life for years. Ive had lots of test but havent got anything alarming to indicate why this is happening and its extremely severe.I am beginning all of the test over again. Like several others, I have all the same symptoms, but I havent seen or found any solutions of things that have helped. Any suggestions or has anyone found any relief from this? I did see that Vitamin D may help. Has anyone found relief from it? Like several others, I take nexium, and some other meds but Ive went off each med to see if that was it and it didnt change so I dont believe thats it. I have had several spinal surgeries and I have severe nerve damage and scar tissue. Its good to know Im not alone but I would love to hear if anyone has received any relief. If so, I would love to hear it. Most drs I have been to tell me that they do t see many cases this severe as far as the sweating. I hope someone will post sonething that they felt helped them or if anyone was able to get to the bottom of what is causing it.I cant even imagine another year of living this way much less the rest of my life. Thank you all in advance and I wish you all the best!  
I have problem sweating after showering. I just read to bring the temp of the water down at the end so your body gets used 2 the cold water as much as u can. Im going 2 try that cause im sick & tired of it .. it also said don't rub towel on body but pat dry & if u take pain medication or methadone, sweating can be a side effect. good luck 2 u all
This comment may contain graphic content.
Please or to view.