Avatar universal

Vaginal burning and eczema

Hi everyone,

I'm posting this on my girlfriend's behalf as I guess I'm more worried for her than she is herself.

Anyway, about two and a half weeks ago, she got a yeast infection which she treated with a gel. We had sex a couple of times while she had the infection (before she realised it was anything) which was fine, but just over a week ago, we had sex again (thinking the infection would be over - there were no symptoms/itchiness). After sex, her vagina was quite red and she had a really bad burning sensation inside of her to the point where she cried. I obviously felt awful and we decided not to have sex again for at least a week. Yesterday, we started having sex again and this time, sex was painful but otherwise okay afterwards. Then today, sex was great, but post-sex, we noticed some red eczema-looking dots around her vagina as well as dry skin and yet again, 5-10 mins after sex, she had the intense burning sensation again. We suspect that the redness could be due to poor shaving, but she's usually good at that, so I thought I'd add it in the post as well.

We were both each other's first, so I doubt we could be talking STIs. We also don't use condoms (she's on the pill).

Any suggestions as to what could cause the discomfort/burn/eczema would be appreciated as well as treatments.

Thanks for your time!
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Avatar universal
It could be the yeast infection again, although it would be best to get it tested at a clinic.  Partners can pass yeast infections back and forth, so you may need to get treated as well.  It would be best to go to a clinic that specializes in sexual health, because they should be really good about dealing with yeast infections, and have much more experience with problems with genitalia than your average GP does.
Helpful - 0
Avatar universal
Hello, its very possible that it coul be a yeast infection again. This had actually happened to me and my fiance before. I had 1 and thiught it was gone and wound up goving it to him. He then passed it back to me after i was told by the doctor that it was gone so its very possible. In that case u really need to stop having sex until u are both seen by a doctor and follow his orders of how long to not have sex in order for you not to continue to pass it back and forth. But not that u want to think or hear about it, its always possible that it could be an std weither or not u "know" you were her first and "only". So im sorry to say that but u also have to think about that that it is possible. Good luck and keep me posted n get the both of you to a doc as soon as possible. Hope this helped a little.
Helpful - 0
563773 tn?1374246539
This can be due to chafing due to intercourse. Do not use any cosmetic products at the sites. She can apply some calamine lotion at the rash as it will help in soothing the skin. Also wear cotton undergarments. Application of mild corticosteroid cream and oral antiinflammatories like ibuprofen/acetaminophen are also helpful. If the symptoms are severe then it will be best to consult a gynecologist.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.
From skin changes to weight loss to unusual bleeding, here are 15 cancer warning signs that women tend to ignore.