What causes lower abdominal/pelvic pain that is localized during period?

Yesterday morning, I started having sharp, pinchy, crampy pain that only lasts a few seconds in my right lower pelvis abdominal area. It went away then came back last night and hasn't left. I am getting this frequent and it seems to be localized to that area. I also started my period yesterday but have never experienced this.
So, do you normally get cramps during your period?  Most women do as their uterus contracts as it sheds the lining.  Ibuprofen is a life saver for me!  If it is worse than usual, you could have a simple ovarian cyst.  These are generally common and harmless and pass on their own but they hurt.  so, monitor the situation.  Either way, ibuprofen or Tylenol really can help take the edge off.  good luck