vulva hot, stinging and burning

I'm posting here because I really am at my wits end and hope maybe peple will have some suggestions as to what is going on with me! For the past year, I have been experiencing burning and stinging in my vulva (which is NOT made worse by peeing), which comes and goes but can last for over a month and is extremely uncomfortable. The area looks normal, and there is no unusual discharge. The last time I had these symptoms was in March - they came on suddenly with a stinging sensation, and lasted for 6 weeks. During this time, I was tested for all STDs (all negative), tested for bacterial infections (negative) and treated repeatedly for thrush (even though all lab tests came back negative). Eventually, the symptoms eased on their own. I dont use chemical irritants etc so dont think thats the problem. My symptoms returned 5 weeks ago - again, all tests are negative, I was treated again for thrush (no relief, and lab test came back negative).

Could the repeated topical thrush treatment have made things worse? Also, I've heard of conditions called lactobacilliosis and cytolytic vaginosis (overgrowth of lactobacilli). My symptoms do not appear to be related to my menstrual cycle - there is no particular pattern - but could overgrowth of lactobacilli still be my problem? I would like to hear from anyone who has suffered from lactobacilli overgrowth.

Sorry for the long post but I really would appreciate some advice!
I've also heard of cytolytic vaginosis, although many doctors don't believe in the diagnosis. I guess it depends on who you see ;-)

If you're experiencing this pain/burning in your vulva, you might want to do a search on vulvar vestibulitis. I'd also suggest seeing a pelvic pain specialist - they're tough to find, but definitely worth the effort :-)
Thanks Monkeyflower, I know I dont have vestibulitis because I dont have any pain to touch, and also I dont have painful intercourse...its more a sensation, rather than something that hurts to touch.

I went to another gyno and he seemed confused, as did all the others! He said the only thing he can see is a cervical etropion (previously caused cervical erosion), probably caused by long term pill use, and that we should treat that as it could be the cause. But I'm not very confident about this - I've heard that a cervical etropion is usually left alone because it only causes excess normal discharge and no discomfort. Has anyone got any comments about this?

I've also been reading about vulvodynia, and wonder if this is what I have - but vulvodynia seems to cause pain during intercourse, which I don't have. Just a burning, stinging sensation...mostly just uncomfortable, but can get quite painful as the day goes on.

Anyone got any ideas, experience with these symptoms? I would be so grateful to hear from people, I'm feeling quite worried about it all!
You might try looking into a low oxalate diet.  I had problems with pain/itching labia, and keeping my oxalate intake on the lower side helped me.
I have a similar condition that has taken me YEARS to properly diagnose-- on my own (doctors were clueless)! It is most likely LB or CV and requires a 7 day treatment with Augmentin 500 mg or bicarbonate sitz baths.   Hopefully this site will clarify things for you.  

http://www.ispub.com/ostia/index.php?xmlFilePath=journals/ijanp/vol6n1/vaginosis.xml
Thanks for the site dreamspirit, its really helpful. I'm going to see a different gyno soon as my other one didnt believe that these conditions exist, lets hope I get somewhere with my new one! Can you tell me about your symptoms? The thing I'm worried about is that the site says that LB and CV are always cyclic - the symptoms are worse just before your period and then they disappear during your period. Do you know if that is always the case? Because my symptoms don't deem to be related to my cycle - they certainly don't disappear with my period. So could it still be LB or CV? I just want these horrible symptoms to go away!!
if not red / swollen then sounds like me. Increases with stress? i believe it is nerve damage from taking FLUOROQUINOLONE ANTIBIOTICS (eg: Ciprofloxacin)
Sunflower, I current am experiencing the same symptoms as you. Did you ever find out what was wrong or treatment for this horribly irritating condition???
Im currently experiencing the same symptoms as well!  does anybody know what could cause this?

I used monistat 1 to get rid of a yeast infection 2 months ago.... and the yeast is now gone apparentally... but i have this horrible burning almost itchy feelling in the whole area.  It doesn't hurt to have sex or to touch... its just a sensation as you said that gets worse as the day goes on!!
Same here. I can't sleep at night, because I'm having so much discomfort. Like blinkchic38 said, it gets worse as the day goes on.  However, I believe I have generalized vulvodynia. There are two main types of vulvodynia:

Generalized vulvodynia is pain in different areas of the vulva at different times. Vulvar pain may be constant or occur every once in a while. Touch or pressure may or may not prompt it. But this may make the pain worse.
Vulvar vestibulitis syndrome is pain in the vestibule. This is the entrance to the vagina. Often a burning sensation, this type of vulvar pain comes on only after touch or pressure, such as during intercourse.

There is a lot information here: http://women.webmd.com/vulvodynia

So perhaps, Sunflower 22, you have generalized vulvodynia, which is not necessarily prompted by touch or pressure
Um, question... I was on website that discussed Lactobacillosis, and it said that Vulvodynia could be a symptom of Lactobacillosis, Cytolytic vaginosis, Candidal vaginitis, Bacterial vaginosis or vaginal dysbacteriosis.

Does anyone know if Vulvodynia is an ailment all by itself, or if its just a symptom of something else?

Moreover, I do find that my discomfort often starts up and worsens before my period starts. However, this month the pain was not alleviated during my period, and only got worse after it ended.

I hope we can all figure out what's going on, and are able do something about it, cause I need to sleep at night instead of having not other thought in my head except the brining sensation.
ive also been suffering with pain..stinging..burning sensation..my gp said there is a bit of inflamation there but she couldnt see anything untoward...i have had a few gynea problems recently (i had a ring fitted for a cystecele and i had a severe allergic reaction to the ring and ended up in A/E  to  have it removed)  and i put it down to the fact i havent healed properly but it was  so uncomfortable i couldnt even wear knickers...so i saw my gp  she prescribed  some steriod cream to use and i have to go back to see her in 2weeks...i have used the cream since friday (3dys) and there is a slight difference she also said it may be lichen sclerosus

http://www.lichensclerosus.org/

hope this info helps...
                                  dollie
I too have been suffering from the same exact symptoms as Sunflower22 since Nov. 2008.  It is now May 2009.  I too had diagnosed myself with vulvodynia but was told by 3 doctors that I didn't have it because there was no pain to touch. I was however diagnosed with vulvar dysplasia after a skin biopsy.  It is the same as cervical dysplasia except its in the vulvar area.  The Doctor feels this may have been the cause of the vulvar burning.  I had the adnormal cells removed 2 days ago and I haven't felt any burning so far as of yet and I'm praying that this is the end of that, although I do feel irritation at vaginal entry site.  I will update with more as I proceed with the healing process.  But Lady's do be aware of this disease it is rare and really shocked me because I only thought dysplasia was in the cervix.  It is however a strain of HPV.  I am married and have been with my husband for 13yrs so I haven't been living a promiscuious life style.  I guess its just one of those things that happens.
It is now 2 weeks after my surgerty and I'm still having the burning so obviously vulvar dysplasia wasn't the problem..So if anyone has found relief from this painful condition please share it.