Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

How do I stay off these drugs?!!!

After twelve years of starting on Ativan at 2mg daily I worked myself up to 25 to 30 mg daily. The last four years I've been on xanax which started out at a low dose but worked up to 20 to 25mg daily. If I don't have Ativan I take xanax and vice versa. In October I went to an area hospital to detox and after five days the doctor said I was detoxed. I knew I wasn't but being self employed I left the hospital to come home. I can't begin to describe the withdrawl effects.The next day I was admitted to a local detox unit for another five days. When I came home I felt somewhat better I tried going back to work and just couldn't handle it. So I started back on xanax and started feeling stable again. Now my wife and I are seperated which doesn't make it any easier. I hate these pills and want to get off them and maybe get reunited with my wife. Since I don't have insurance I can't afford to go back to rehab. I don't drink alcohol, just the pills. I'm taking about 12 to 15mg daily now and was wanting some help in cutting down. I know what to expect since I feel like I've all ready been to hell and back.
8 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I'm hoping as you the taper schedule works.   My usage never got over the top I used these Benzo Hell Pills to sleep.  I was in Vic anxiety...

My Dr. wrote up a schedule for me reducing me .50mg every week.  But.. my first week was for 2mg a day... she rec. them anyway I had to handle them.  1/2 or one whole pill.  Her first week to me was 3 - 4 tablets as needed of .50.   I'm taking 1/2 a tablet mid moring... 1/2 tablet mid afternoon...but went without that the last two days and then one tablet at night to sleep.  So far so good.

I had a rough day on Monday, in all honesty did the whole four tabs...but yesterday was better.

As I said to you in a previous post.  Benzos are new to me but I learned quickly they are not to be messed with.   As you well know you've been through Detox already w/them.  From what I've learned, sometimes switching to Valium or Librium is a good alternative since they have a much, much longer half life.  In addtion to that.. if you smoke...the Xanax loses 50% of it's efficiency so you wind up doing more.   Perhaps talking to your Dr. with some resolution will help you more to devise a plan that will work for you.

Take Care
Gip
Helpful - 0
Thanks again for your advice. Thats what I was going try is reducing one-half mg per week. Funny I just quit smoking a week ago
and really not had much of a problem. I won't see my Doc for another month but the main problem I had in detox was I never had attempted to quit and I couldn't believe what my body and mind went thru so I do know what to expect and take it easier this time knowing that I can get thru it with GOD and good people. Thanks
Helpful - 0
I wish I could tell you something helpful but I am having a hard time with the benzos too.  Along with alcohol. It seems most people here are opiate people but they are really cool and helpful.  I just found this place yesterday and I'm trying to taper from klonopin.  And thanks vicaddict and chemonster, I didn't have any drinks today.  I feel grateful.
Helpful - 0
It was good to here from you! i knew you could do it how are you feeling? i know you want to quit both one battle at atime my friend! you have taken a step today I am proud of you ! hugs
Helpful - 0
about 3 years ago i was getn the 10mg valiums and started serioulsy abusing them..id snort them, id melt them under my toung and id take them just by swallowing them. eventualy i was taking 10 to 15 valium a day (at 10mg each!). thats like 100mg to 150mg..through out the day of course. i just couldnt detox at home i couldnt even do a taper at home so i went inpatient and it took 3 weeks to detox. at one point the detox sent me to the ER cuz my blood pressure went so high! so please be carful.
Helpful - 0
Have you tried the taper thing?
Helpful - 0
Thanks for the advice. I know I can't go C/T but was hoping to reduce over the next four and half months. Just stay with my taper schedule. Thanks
Helpful - 0
Benzos are very different.  C/T as you know is BRUTAL. Go real slow.. eliminate a pill...feel comfortable, and eliminate another one.  I've learned this past week... you can't do those fast with any degree of comfort the anxiety is too overwhelming and debilitating.  

Get some help..... my Dr. has got me on a taper... since I never really "got into these" only to kill the anxiety of the Vics... I'm not having a real hard time keeping to my Taper Schedule ... I'm a little ahead actually.   I don't like the way they make me feel...though... so I want out sooner than later.

Good Luck... but remember there is no C/T avialble for these.  Two days w/o the little I was using sent me into a state of anxiety I have no words to describe.

I was doing about 3mgs a day to get thru W/D from Vics.. I'm down to 1.5 mgs...

Good luck

Gip
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.