Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Pain meds

Hi ladies, this is my 1st time on this board. My name is Jen, I'm 40 & trying to conceive a child. I suffer from fibromyalgia and myofacial pain. Im in constant pain & I am afraid I will have to come off my meds when I get pg. I used to take vicodin but I have also been on other pain meds which I have since stopped bcuz I was on so much that I couldnt keep track so I only take 2 pain meds, fiorinal c1/2 for daily pain & dilaudid for break thru pain. It helps but I have a high tolerance It's difficult to find a med strong enough to REALLY work. I used to take ms contin and oxycontin as well as fioricet and valium etc. I've been on the duragesic patch but that was AWFUL to stop. The W/D was unbearable. I have also taken tramadol but that didnt work well & the W/D on that was bad too, I didn't even take it for very long! I have always assumed that I would have to stop my meds when I became pg. Is this not the case? I thought it would harm my baby but the thought of being in so much pain for 9 months is terrifying. When I stop my meds I cant function! When I am on meds Im a much happier person. I feel much better. Im not miserable. People don't understand when I am on meds, I feel somewhat normal & can function alot better therefore I am happier. They think that my "real" personality is to be miserable so when I take meds Im "not myself". I think this is obsurd! They think that my being happy means that Im high. I gave up trying to explain that this IS the REAL me! They think I am a drug addict. I wish those people could be in my body for just 1 day.Thanx for reading!
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
There are pain pills that dont cross barriers and dont harm a fetus - talk to your Doc and put together a plan to follow.........good luck with the pregnancy
Helpful - 0
I also have Fibro.  My doctor put me on Gabapentin.  It is a wonderful drug that works on the nerves, which help muscle pain, and is NOT a narcotic.  My friends 3 year old is also on this same med for major pain.

I do not know if this drug is ok to take while pregnant...I just thought if they would give it to such a young child...maybe it might be.  

I also do not know if this med would work for you but thought I would let you know.

Talk to your doctor.  Hope things work out for you.
Helpful - 0
Honey...not saying it's right, but I know alot of people who took pills the entire time they were pregnant and it didn't do any harm at all to their babies. AGAIN...NOT SAYING THAT IT IS RIGHT!!! EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT AND IT IS A CHANCE SOMETHING COULD HAPPEN....but if you want a baby so bad then you could always wein yourself down, to where you only need to take a pill or 2 a day....be careful though!! I know people that was crazy with taking pills pregnant, percocets at that!!! But I do wish you luck...nothing is better then having a creature on this earth that will love you regardless what you do and who you are, they will always love you. Maybe quitting for a few months is worth it though!! I think soo!!!
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.