Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

What to do with meds/pain

I am between a rock and a hard place right now. I don't know if I should go back to vicodin(for medical reasons not to get high). Yes I still medcially need it because I am still in pain. Now I am compelty off of vicodin and on this darovcet. I am trying to function pretty much on will power. But it is quit hard doing work/eatting.
13 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I e Have been taking hydros and ultrset on and odd for 2 years now.  It started when my house burned down I had such terrible mygraines.  When cleaning out the house I found a bottle left over from when I had a surgury.  I was the type of person that did not take medicine.  Well I broke and took them the next thing I know I am looking forward to getting a headache.  I also have depression and anxiety and have been havin alot of problems with that.  You know the deal, no energy, sad never want to do anything.  WELL walaa, that is all it took.  I started takeing them in the evenings only  (after a car accident) and it just kept going from there.  I had surgury a couple of months ago on my back so I do know about the pain issue and taking not having these pills.  I took 12-15 per day for about 6 months now.  Now I am out and completly miserable. Any suggestion.  I could go ape **** sometimes.  I had a few Xanax but those are gone and I have some clonidine and vistoral for anxiety but seems to do nothing.  the depression and anxiety is horrible and i feel like i way a ton.  no motivation whatsoever.  I can't hardly work but 3 hours i feel like a nut case.  Any answers?
Helpful - 0
182775 tn?1209736027
I hope my experience will help and encourage you.

I started with serious back pain.  Got hooked on vicodin to the tune of 12 pills per day.

When I tried to w/d, it worked for two weeks, but I soon convinced myself that I deserved relief from my continuing pain and I was quickly back on the big V.

Over a period of years I worked my way down...codeine #3, percocet, codeine #1.

Right now I am on day 7 of my final w/d from the codeine.  The only reason I feel this is my final w/d is I finally told my wife the whole story.  Of course, she knew, but now, with my admission she could help me openly.  

My advice would be to find one person in your area who will help you through the process.  Of course, a recovering addict would be best. If you have an alcohol and drug treatment program in your area, call them, and ask if they have a volunteer you can chat with.  Otherwise, professionals like your physician or perhaps minister might know someone.  

Believe me...having someone help you through this is the key you are looking for.  And...of course, stick with this forum.

Happy Trails,
~George~

Helpful - 0
TJ
ok im 23 yrs old i have multiple pinched nerves in my lower back/legs. I weigh 407lbs. and have a slew of other health problems. I've been taking hydrocodone 10/500 for at least 1 1/2 years. And i dont want to be addicted to them but from what im hearing on hear i am. Know here is the dalima hope i spelled that right. My back is getting worse I have 2 or 3 good nerves in lower back not pinched on a good day i can walk around and what not but on a bad day its hard for me to move. I cant lift my daughter and all my docs do is give me vicodin they dont fix it. I have had 3 epidurals and they dont help. I even thought about switching to percocet to get the hydrocodone out of my system. I really need some advise please help me
Helpful - 0
175363 tn?1200946321
Now thats 1 spirit that WONT steer you wrong!
Keep trusting in him, you'll be blessed.
Helpful - 0
175363 tn?1200946321
I just want you all to know that those of you who go through this and are dependant because of pain...are stars in my book...I used for pleasure so there was no residual pain once withdrawal was over. It takes one he** of a person to live with the pain to overcome addiction, I hope you understand how amazing you are indeed.
Helpful - 0
So funny you would say that b/c I thought about that alot when I first stopped using vicodin.  I remember thinking, how am I gonna do this when I have real pain that I am going to have to deal with.  I remember thinking that I envied those who were just using for pleasure b/c when they decided to stop..that was it for them; they didnt need to worry about having to use a pain med in the future b/c they were not dealing with any real pain.  Then, I thought to myself, thats not fair; b/c their emotional pain was just as bad as my physical pain..so we all have our demons to deal with.  I just decided that I would cross that bridge when I came to it and if and when I was in pain I would find something else to use besides the vicodin.  Something told me to try the motrin 800..it worked for my mild pain.  When I was in serious pain my Dr suggested the darvocet.  I was really scared but I decided to trust God and take it.  I didnt feel the high "feeling" that I got from vicodin but it did stop the pain; so I knew I would be OK, for now...but I am always aware of my tendency to abuse so I'm still real careful with it.
Helpful - 0
Yeah it's true but it is very hard with what I have. I could be in little pain for 1-2 days. But the next I could be extreme pain the whole day and stay in bed. But before I abused vicodin but only little. I was taking 3 pills each dose instead of the 2 I am suppose to but I really did need it. I just had a very painful injection into my tailbone. But I trust my self.
Helpful - 0
Yeah I don't get high off vicodin. I never have even gotten a buzz from it ever. Thanks for the words everyone.

-John
Helpful - 0
you know I think alot of us started out taking them for pain I did have bad back and w/the cold it realy hurts but I did take pills a hell of alot more then i needed but back still hurt even on methadone still hurt so if im going to hurt at least im not killing myself
Helpful - 0
I still have a lot pain If read around you will hear  my inflection I I did leave out steal plated wrist W/scerws I can feal don't go there,there is other ways for pain mng.
Helpful - 0
I know what u mean; I woke up in pain this morning.  I tried motrin 800 ...waited like 45min and the pain passed enuff for me to get out of bed and get started.  I hate being in pain too; but I just cant go thru vicodin w/d again.  I know that if I take one it will start that vicious cycle for me again.  I dont kid myself, I know I will not just take as prescribed...maybe at first; but eventually I'll be right back in full blown addiction.  I've heard that some people can go back to taking them as prescribed; but I know thats not me.  When you take the darvocet; does it kill the pain?  I've heard the key is to not let the pain get real bad before you take something.
Helpful - 0
Problem is if I don't take some type of med I can't do anything at all. Which I would love to be in not pain at all but it's to do everyday things.
Helpful - 0
I am probably in the same boat as you.  Suffer from real pain but became addicted to vicodin.  I was taking it for legitamate and sometimes just b/c it was a habit.  For me, I know I cant take it now; even if I have legitimate pain.  When I am in real pain and I mean real pain I take the darvocet as prescribed.  It doesnt get me high; it just takes away the pain.  I am still very careful and mindful of what I am doing with darvocet b/c it is still a narcotic.  I know me personally...I "like" the vicodin too much so its absolutely not an option.  My Dr thinks I should take it but I know better.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.