Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Just checkin in...

See alot of new posters.  I havent posted in a while but I just wanted to see how everyone was doing and also share something.  I am still vicodin free after over a month and a half.  I am also still struggling though.  Not so much from the vicodin but b/c I have a chronic, painful condition along with uncontrolled high blood pressure.  I have been taking motrin 800 and darvacet as prescribed when I am in pain.  Unfortunately, I am in the middle of a flare up so that has been like everyday for the past week and a half.  I feel like I am playing russian roulette...dont know what I'm doing; I told my Dr I absolutely will not take vicodin so we have resorted to other pain meds...dont know if I am doing the right thing or just making my problem worse.  I waited a long time before I took anything but when my blood press got out of control from the pain and infection I had to take something.  I abused vicodin for a long time..for about 6 months I took it excessively; now I take other meds my Dr gives me as prescribed but not sure if I'm just kidding myself and will be back to popping 7 pills at a time soon.  I refuse to take vicodin anymore but now I am scared that I am doing just as much damage with the other meds.  Any thoughts??
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Vicodin and darvacett are very different animals. There is no cod, hydro, or oxycodone in darvacett.

I'm sorry I'm new here but enjoy this site very much. I was an addict for 38 years. I have attended three rehabs and two detox centers. I now like to help others in the hope they won't make the bad mistakes that I did.

good luck
Helpful - 0
Thats pretty much true, it is a narcotic so it is basically the same thing but supposed to be milder. I did try the motrin 800 first but didnt work.  I'm still really not sure what to do.  I spoke to my substance abuse Dr and she said to take it as prescribed for the shortest amount of time.  Thats working for now but feeling afraid about how long that will last.  Thanks for your response..i'll keep u posted.
Helpful - 0
Hey,
Not to scare you but I was under the impression that vicodin and darvacet are pretty much the same and even if not, If the darvacet is a narcotic which im sure it is then you can also get addicted. I think most pharmecuiticals suck and are proly all addicting in one way or another. So just be careful. Good Luck! I can tell you want the right thing and good job on quiting for a month.
Jeff
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.