Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Every Time Is The Last Time

I am a 24 year old male, and while some doctors see that as a red flag in most cases, I am well spoken, dress professionally, am married with children, and have a legitmate problem. I have had 4 root canals within the last 4 months. Meanwhile I've become addicted to Vicodin Es. and Percocet. I don't know what to do. I've even addressed my primary care physician of the trouble im having getting off them. She gave me more to get me down to fewer and fewer each day. However, I just keep taking 6-8 a day. I don't know what to do anymore. This is the worst problem I've ever had. I have no history of addiction, dependancy, or alcoholism. Rehab in my opinion is not an option. While my job would have no keep me, I know in the back of their minds it would prevent me from moving up the ladder as fast as I would like. Besides, they would only see me as a liar, for I have told them I barely took pain medications. Does anyone have a success story of taking 4 than 2 than 1 and getting off with few problems. My doctor gave Atenolol for the stress and high blood pressure. Thank you for your time.
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
You might want to tell your doctor that you are having problems tapering off, there's no shame in saying it. Your doctor probably won't just say ok well I'm cutting you off then. There are certain things you can be given to help coming off of them.

I was taking about 10-14 percocets a day. Tapering down can be done, it's just having the will and strength to make yourself do it is the hardest part. I tapered myself all the way down to 3 a day before i completely stopped.

They gave me something to help me sleep and some catapres (sorry if spelling is off) patches which help with the w/d symptoms a little.

Whatever you end up doing, good luck with it.
Helpful - 0
dude just tell your doc i dont want any more and it sounds like you dont get off street and you havent been on them for very long.if you want to ween go ahead if you go c/t thats how i did it youll suffer for a couple of days but youll make it make sure to tell your doc you dont want anymore thats what i did. been 5 days pill free and patch free the bowhunter
Helpful - 0
186166 tn?1385259382
you stated that you were married. does your wife know of your addiction?  if so and you'd rather try to taper instead of going c/t, then give your pills to your wife to dispense to you...there are alot of suggestions on this site to help with withdrawals.  by the sound of your post, you haven't been taking them very long so better to get control of the situation NOW before they get even more control of you.
Helpful - 0
52704 tn?1387020797
I had success in tapering from what at the time was about a 12/day of 10/500 hydros.  It did it by taking a whole pill only the first thing in the am and using 1/2 a tab for each scheduled dose for the rest of the day.  Then I decreased by 1/2 a tab each day, with a slight increase in the time between the 1/2 tab doses so that I took the first and the last at the same time.  The only way I got through this was by giving the entire supply to my brother, who could be trusted to NEVER give me extra and to not take them himself.

The problem was that after all that work getting clean, I relapsed as I had so many time before.  I lasted longer that time, but once I started again it didn't really matter - I was off to the races again.

The reason you can't seem to stop is that your brain chemistry has been FUBAR'd.  Unless you get that straightened out its very difficult to stop and miserable to stay stopped.  I would recommend the following books that will help in that regard:

1. End Your Addiction Now, by Charles Gant;
2. Staying Clean & Sober, by Merlene & David Miller; and
3. The Mood Cure, by Julia Ross

You might also look into the issue of PAWS (Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome) at:
http://www.tlctx.com/ar_pages/paw_part1.htm
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.