Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

I need to get off of Ultram for good! Please help me.

I am 38 years old and in 1996 I was prescribed Ultram for Degenerative Disc disease.  Needless to say, I was also told it was non-narcotic yet I too become addicted to it.  Soon after that I was also prescribed Oxycontin which led me straight down the road to hell.  I eventually ended up in a residential treatment center where I got clean from all of it.  However, when I withdrew from the Ultram, I was in jail and don't remember the withdrawls being that severe.  Back in March of 2006 the doctor prescribed it to me again for kidney stones, against my better judgement I took it, and yet again, I am addicted.  It feels like such a set back after being clean and in NA for 5 years.  I don't consider it a relapse but I now have to get back off of it.  I tried cold turkey but the withdrawls were horrible!  I don't remember them being so severe, like I said before.  I have teenage girls and a full time job, I can't afford to take off work to go through anymore withdrawls nor do I want to go through them again.  What is the easiest way to wean off and less likely to produce severe withdrawls?  
7 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
The job that I have could not permit me to be found out.  I would lose my clients, etc.   So no meetings.  But I was a strong person before this, and I'm finding that never left me, even when I thought it did.  A bit of Britney Spears'  "Stronger"  I keep singing that in my head.. :)
Helpful - 0
I know where you are coming from.  I've been through those same withdrawls.  I do hope it works out for you.  I do know that the support of the NA fellowship has helped me tremendously.  Perhaps try going to a meeting?
Helpful - 0
P.S.  By saying "feeling good" I mean compared to wanting to die.  I'm still really low all around, have bad diareahea, keep sneezing, keep sweating and then start freezing, and basically feel like ****.  But compared to days one and two, its a big improvement.  I literally thought I would just die.
Helpful - 0
I've heard that vitamin B-12 helps, I'm already taking that. I will try cutting down and let you know how it's working out.
Helpful - 0
I was taking 12 (50mg) a day.  Occasionally more if I wanted to get high, but just the 12 to feel somewhat normal.   On day 1 and 2 I took 5 a day and got horrible withdraw symptoms.  I'm on day 3, I only took 4 because I didn't feel the physical need, and I feel pretty good.  I also stocked up on vitamins, especially B-12.  It's really helped with the crushing fatigue I've felt.
Helpful - 0
I think I'm up to 15 per day! Tomorrow I thought maybe going down to 8 for a couple of days then continue to decrease from there.  Thanks for your input.
Helpful - 0
I'm on tramadol also.  Day 3 of weaning.  How many, and what dose are you taking?  If you can't deal with the withdrawls, and you have willpower, cut by 50% for the first two days.  Then cut down 25% more for the next two days, etc.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.