Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

will the w/d symptoms ever go away

Hi.  I have been clean since Feb 19th.  I was taking percocet for one month, but before that I was taking vicodan, xanax, valium and anything else I could get my hands on for the last three or four years.  I decided it was time to stop.  I really didn't realize I was taking these drugs everyday, till one day I thought...WOW I don't think I've gone a day without pills in three years!  DUH! So I am now clean but,  I thought the anxiety and headaches would go away after I stopped for a while.  Well it's been a while and I still feel like an anxious wreck.  Does this feeling go away?
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
182775 tn?1209736027
Contratulations on how far you have come.  That is quite an accomplishment.  Please remember you are quitting for the rest of your life, so these first few months are a very small investment in that venture.

When I went C/T I was told that everyone is different.  They said it takes 3-4 months for the body/brain to return to normal.  I now believe them.  

I assure you that you are at the point where it begins to get better.  It is a slow process.  Keep in mind the aphorism, "Nothing good happens fast."  

GEORGE
Week 8 C/T

Helpful - 0
I too have heard it takes the brain about 3 months to return to "normal".  That is one reason my doctor feels that suboxone will help me because it helps by filling up the receptors in the brain that cause us to crave and not feel right without our meds.  If anyone has any insight about suboxone therapy it would be much appreciated as I have to decide today if I am going to start it on Thursday!  Im pretty nervous and would really like some input.  Hang in there, the fact that you got thru the w/d's doing it c/t is amazing and says alot about you and your strength.  I don't think I can do it as I have been trying for quite some time.  Congrats and as they say, take is easy and do it one day at a time, be kind to yourself, treat yourself in heathly ways and be proud of what you are accomplishing.
Helpful - 0
I really thought it would be much easier than this!  I thought the first week or so would be hard and then it would be easy sailing.  My sister called yesterday and said she just got a prescription of percocet, I told her no matter what, do not give me any.  I am not interested!  But what I really wanted to do was run over to her house and take JUST ONE!!!I would take a 1/2, but no I can't now!  I really don't want one but I also don't want to feel like this! My heart is pounding.  I cannot sleep. All I do is complain!!!!!Thanks for listening.
Helpful - 0
Thank you.  I won't do it..you're right, I am in it for the long haul.  I am also a student, so I need to stop because I feel it ruining my brain!  I am just having one bad day after another.  I made a promise to myself that I will exercise tomorrow morning.  Thank you for your kind words.  They help more than you know.
Helpful - 0
182775 tn?1209736027
We all get the urge for the respite that "just one pill" might give.

When I feel the urge I must to tell myself that:

(1) it defeats my body's learning to live without opiates, and

(2) unravels much of the W/D and recovery I have accomplished to date.

In the end, I realize I have given up pain killers for the remainder of my life.  Taking "just one pill" is no longer an option, no matter how I think or feel.

I hope my experience might be an insight and reassurance.
Good luck, and...

Happy Trails,
GEORGE
Week 8 C/T
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.