Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Couldn't handle it - part 2

You guys are wonderful and I don't wanna lose everyone.  I would love to still just come here and check in with everyone.  I'm sure there will be times that I wanna take more than one but this will be the test.  If I can get through this month only taking one pill a day, I'm gonna keep it going.  If not, just one time of me slipping and taking two, I'm gonna try my hardest to quit.  I was thinkin about giving them to my hubby and have him just give me one before he goes to work, but I thought "no, if i can't do this one thing myself then I need to try and quit again".

Any suggestions or bashings are welcome.  Will I have withdrawals only taking one pill a day?  If it wasn't for the support from this forum and everyone on here, I would still be taking about 50 pills a day and one day definitely be dead.  Don't really know how I got this far in life after taking that many to begin with?

God bless you all and take care,  Luvs ya'll Lil.
12 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
thats definatly alot better then what you were taking before, i too take one pill a day or 2 t3s mind you but doesn't matter I think it good to still come here and read and post because it keeps you aware of the problems that can arise.  Harm reduction please don't beat yourself up we are in the same vote.  I smoke pot too and I don't plan on quitting anytime soon .  I'm sure some folks don't like it that were not quitting but its ok because you quit when you're ready or not  and if you don't just don't abuse and totaly wreck your health.  Take care of yourself.  I had two days with nothing and I didn't like it too much although I wasn't real sick because I never take more then 2 now and thats been going on for months.  I don't like pain.  take care of yourself.
Helpful - 0
I think what youre doing is fine. yesterday you took 1 pain pill. you went fishing last night. you must not be having withdrawal symptoms real bad because you didnt feel too bad. i know those pills are only good for what, 6 hours? anyway, i was the one that said i admire your honesty. you tell on yourself, and i like that. in N.A. they say "youre only as sick as your secrets". your gonna be ok.
Helpful - 0
you might want to quit again and if you keep it to one oxy it won't be as bad when you detox the next time if you decide to do so.  
Helpful - 0
thanx so much for ya'lls insite.  Yeah, i think going 13 days without it before i started taking one in the morning really helped.  I don't get the physical withdrawals anymore and like i said I took one yesterday morning, and last nite didn't even want another while I was fishing.  (I love fishing, wish I could do it everyday lol)  So if I can just do the one I think I can quit in the future when I'm totally ready.  You guys are great.  Thank you for being honest.  And yes, Tammy, I lied so much growing up and got caught so many times, that I actually tell on myself now lol.  I'm thinkin of all ya'll today... take care and god bless ya'll Lil. :)
Helpful - 0
I have had so many fall backs. Read what I just posted above to sosad. Don't end up like me.
Helpful - 0
Whatever works for you.  It's different for everyone.  Just keep in mind your goal.  I'm just worried you will go back to taking more when you become used to the one again.  But like I said if this is working for you, then we respect your choice.  I'm not one to give much advice because I am on day 6 c/t from the morphine and I really feel crappy still.  If I had any here, I might be tempted to take them like before so I can't have them around.
Good luck to you lil, you'll get there - Sick
Helpful - 0
52704 tn?1387020797
One of the hallmarks of my active addiction was the conviction that "I must do it myself."  That mind set kept me in acctive addiction much longer than I needed to be and took the "price" of my addiction far beyond anything I could imagine.

It often seemed to me that it would constitute ABSOLUTE FAILURE to admit what I perceived as weakness to anyone else.  I think I was also afraid to admit to myself that the problem was bigger than me.

I have come to see this as wrong and destructive thinking.  I now view the mandate to keep it to myself and to shun help from others as one of the voices of my addiction.  Such a mandate fosters the continuation of active addiction: it does not foster Recovery.

I had been back from rehab only a few months, when the thought came into my mind that my Recovery was, at best, dubious because a critical part of it was the random drug screens that were FREQUENTLY given to me by my wife.  On the one hand, I didn't resent the screens, and was even grateful for them, because I knew they played a major role in keeping me clean & sober.  On the other hand, however, The Voice told me that my clean time really didn't count for much - that I wasn't showing any strength - that I should be ashamed of a so-called Recovery that required such pitiful intervention . . . .

My mind really started to RACE with such notions and I began to feel like an abject failure despite the fact that I was at about 6 months clean.  I had to literally yell at myself to "STOP!!" and remind myself that I don't care about any of that.  My Recovery is not about being strong or defeating addiction single-handedly or even proving that "I am now a good person (again)."  My Recovery is about keeping me safe from a chronic, relentlessly progressive disease that will be fatal if it is allowed to remain active, which will use any means (fair or foul) to keep itself firmly rooted in its host (me).

I had to remind myself that I was not a bad person trying to become good again - I was a sick person trying to become well again.  

Every time I ask someone for help, every time I bring a trustworthy person into the circle of my Recovery, every time I reach out and refuse to listen to The Voice that screams for self-sufficiency, I make my Recovery stronger.

For me, that's what it's all about - a strong Recovery, not a strong me.  I tried to beat the beast all by myself for about 4 years.  Not only did I not get anywhere, I constantly lost ground - my addiction got stronger and stronger, while I got weaker and weaker.  Finally I got so weak that I crumbled - I knew that I couldn't even try anymore - it was beyond argument that the SOB had won and I, too tired and battered to even care anymore,  just gave up.

That's when I finally started to get better.

There are two Bible verses that seem to speak directly to my struggle with addiction.  Both were given to me by the very person that I thought could never understand and who would simply reject me if she ever found out my secret.  

The first, from 2 Corinthians 12:9, reminds me that being strong has nothing to do with my Recovery, but that I must stay weak if I hope to be safe:

My grace is sufficient for you,
    for my power is made perfect in weakness.

The second, from Psalm 107:17-20, seems to have been written with foreknowledge of exactly what I would go through and the point of surrender I would reach.  This one literally brings tears to my eyes:

Some became fools through their rebellious ways
    and suffered affliction because of their iniquities.
    They loathed all food and drew near the gates of death.
    Then they cried to the LORD in their trouble,
    and he saved them from their distress.
    He sent forth his word and healed them;
    he rescued them from the grave.

So, my experience says forget about being strong and get all the help you can, especailly from God, family and friends.
Helpful - 0
Wow, I really love the support from all of you.  Thank you so much.  That's the good thing about all the people on here.  No one makes me feel ashamed of my addiction, and ALWAYS makes me feel better no matter how crappy I feel.  And wow, CATUF, thanx so much for that.  Yes, I too failed miserably everytime before when I tried my hardest of all, without anyone's help it's really hard to go through the trials of life if you can't ask for help.  I've said it before and I'll say it again, we didn't go out and ask for this, like coke or crack or heroin.  This was thrown in our laps without tellin' us that it would take our lives over.  I was sent home with percs after havin' my second child and wow what a feeling.  Then it was thrown at me again after havin my 3rd child and wow even better.  But no time, in every single time it was thrown at me did a doc say it would take over my life so be very careful.  The strongest drug I've ever done is weed before this.  Well with the acception of a couple of acid trips in my younger days but that's it.  Wish I'd never taken the first pill!!!  But I know we will all eventually get over it, it just takes alot of time and will power.

Ya'll try to have a wonderful day today.  I don't know where ya'll live but it's beautiful outside here in florida.  God bless all of you and I'll definitely be thinkin of every single one of you.

Sick to Death?  Yes, I know.  And every time I said before I'm not gonna go over board this month, and no sooner I said that, a week later I was out of my script grrrrr.... so if I'm out even one day before my next visit... I'm gonna try my hardest to quit again.  Thanks to all of you... Luvs, Lil.
Helpful - 0
I think you are doing AWESOME!! Look at the progress you have made on your own. If you think it will help you to ultimately detox taking one pill, or if you are not ready to drop the one pill then keep doing what you are doing.

If you are asking is it better to just drop the one, I would say yes because you may be prolonging. Then again...if you are not ready, then you are not ready. You will know when the time is right. You are on the path to success and honesty and letting people know where you are at is probably crucial to staying on that path.

We support you no matter what! Personally, I smoke pot also and I am not planning on giving that up either. I am here for my percocet addiction, which I am addressing. Should I decide that pot is creating problems for me then I will address that at that time.  You are doing great and keep up the good work.

I had given my boyfriend my pills to hold. It is not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength to ask for help. If you feel that will help you go ahead. Personally, it did not work for me b/c I became quite sneaky and adept at finding those pills. Also I was more than a little nasty with him about handing them over earlier than what we had agreed upon. Caused a lot of fights and tension. That's just my experience.
Helpful - 0
Wow, I couldn't have said it any better myself. That may be the BEST answer I have ever witnessed on these forums. Finally, someone who actually understands recovery......
Helpful - 0
I agree with you wholeheartedly! Thanks CATUF...once again very well spoken and really goes right to the heart!
Helpful - 0
Thank you so much all of you.  (You got me in tears leelee lol)  You guys are so great.  I'm so lucky to have accidentally stumbled upon this forum a couple of weeks ago.  Thinking of all of you, Lil.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.