Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Severe Depression resulting from occasional adderall usage

I'm 21 and have been on some sort of ADHD medicine since I was 10, I stopped taking them at age 16. Since I've turned 18 I asked my doctor to put me back on them. I've been doing my perscription of 30 30mg adderall in 3 days. The thing is I never look for the stuff on the street after my RX is gone, I deal. But I have had a problem for the last 2 or 3 years. I'm am an artist, and I use the adderall to go on drawing binges. But after I'm out of adderall I don't feel like drawing the rest of the month. My problem is before i started doing adderall again i was drawing all the time undrugged, now I can't seem to muster the strenght of will to even attempt to hold a pencil. Any advice would be appreciated.
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Your brain becomes used to Adderall telling it to release dopamine and norephinephrine, and subsequently won't do it anymore without being told. It's the price you pay for getting dependent on Adderall. If you were to go off of it for a long time, eventually your brain might go back to normal. I've had the same issue since going on Adderall for my ADD last year. Before I was on it, I was able to be at least somewhat productive without it, although still not enough to keep my life together. But since going on it, on the days i don't take it, I get nothing done, cause now my brain won't function without it. It's the price I pay, because, ultimately, I can't keep a job without the adderall. it's either be mediocre all the time (off the meds), or have it be one extreme to the other while on them. I choose the latter, since I was never able to keep a job until the adderall. I only take it when at work, so work is the only time I'm productive. But that keeps a roof over my head.
Helpful - 0
My sister has the same problem.  Try to find someone to help regulate your meds if not daily how about weekly?  I kept my sisters pills and she just stopped by daily (we live a block away) for her meds.  If that doesn't work maybe you can get a weeks supply at a time and leave the others with someone who won't give them to you no matter what.
Helpful - 0
I did some numbers in my head and asked a few questions in the mean time. As it happens to be My mom has told me the time in which it takes to for me to use my persription is about 1 week. Soo. If I was to stop doing Adderall once and for good, would my depression subside?
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.