Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close
Sooooooooo, I have a question. I just found out that I am 6 weeks pregnant. (GREAT NEWS-we are thrilled) however I have been on hydro for quite some time now for severe back problems. The question I have is...before I knew I was pregnant I was taking like 1 pill every other day or so. Is this going to have any affect on the baby? I guess I am asking now is because my back has been killing me lately but I have been so good about not taking a pill. If I do break down and take one is it going to be bad? Please help.

You can write to me at [email protected].
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Nope.  It will not harm the baby at all.  I was prescribed vicodin while pregnant because of horrible 8-9 level pain.  I was prescribed the vics by my OBGYN and my son is 2 years old and had NO adverse effects.  Hydrocodone, taken AS PRESCRIBED is safe during pregnancy, what is not safe is when women take too much during the day and exceed the daily limit for acetopmenophin (sp?) aka tylenol, which is damaging to the liver.  Rest easy but be sure to inform your docs that you are taking the hydro!
Helpful - 0
Thank you so much for responding. I was so scared about taking a pill and today I have been in so much pain. It makes me feel better to know that there are people out there that were taking them throughout the whole pregnancy. I am very lucky because I was not taking them on a daily basis and am not considered "addicted" to them. I had NO withdraw when I stopped taking them too.

Ahhhh, I can breath easier now. Thank you so much.
Helpful - 0
You are welcome!  And seriously, my OBGYN, the doc that delivered my child prescribed them.  I also researched them independently on the web and found hydrocodone to be on the "safe list" for pregnancy meds.  The only unsafe thing is if you take them more than as prescribed!  You are fine!  Enjoy your pregnancy, I am sure you will be a great mother :)
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.