Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Can someone help slowlybetter?

A newbie, slowlybetter, has some questions about percocet and withdrawal.  I'm not familiar with percocet.  Could someone help answer her questions?  She posted down a few posts under "Day 2 after slow weaning process..."
Thanks,
Yoda
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Thank you!  That is very sweet of you to reach out like that.  I have been reading long enough to know what you have been through and really admire your strength and what you have done.  I read back when you put your oxy in the sock. :)  That is amazing that you were able to do that after taking such high doses.  Can I ask, what was your dosage they first gave you after your car accident (I believe that is what you said it was).  I hope that doesn't freak you out, I have just been reading for about 3 months.  Ever since I knew I would be getting off of the pain meds.  I just didn't have much to say but have posted every now and then.

Just so you know the main ingredient in oxycontin is the same as percocet.  Percocet is oxycodone but the highest mg it comes in is 10 mg (I was on 5 mg at the end of my weaning process) and it is immediate release whereas oxycontin is extended release and comes in higher doses and is for much more intense pain.  Percocet also has tylenol in it whereas oxycontin does not.  Just a little FYI.

Thanks again!

SB
Helpful - 0
Im not familiar with percocet either.. I wish I could help.  I am really only know about the loratab.  I know you will find help when it gets busy here later,, Hang in there,, Huggs, G
Helpful - 0
Thanks for the reply....about Percocet it has oxycodone and acetaminophen (tylenol) in it.  It is a step stronger than hydrocodone.  Hydrocodone or lortab, vicodin, norco (whichever you choose to call it) is a C III and Percocet is a C II which means it is more highly controlled (and addictive) and it also means you have to get a written prescription for it each time you get it filled.  I have heard some people say that hydrocodone works better for them but for me percocet (oxycodone/acetaminophen) worked better for me.  I figure the withdrawals would be worse than hydrocodone because it is stronger, but I did wean for quite a while.

Thanks again!

SB
Helpful - 0
Well I guess I'm home for the night.  I was supposed to go to a neighbor's poker game, but I'm not very good at it so I decided to stay home.
I can't believe you remember the sock!  I got a good laugh when I read that.  It doesn't bother me that you've been reading my posts.  Yes, I was in a head-on collision and it messed my body up pretty bad, broken bones, nerve damage, etc.  While I was in the hospital, the shots for pain they gave me worked great.  It was when I got out and had to start dealing with the pain at home, that it became a struggle.  The doctor tried several different things for pain, and finally we settled on oxycontin ER because it worked the best.  I'm trying to remember the dosage I started at, it was not as high as what I worked up to which was six 80 mg tablets of Oxycontin ER a day.  That was my prescribed dosage for quite a while but of course I got to where I would use them all up before it was time for a refill.  The last time it happened, I ate them all in about two weeks and had to go the remaining days without.  The withdrawals were very, very bad and I stupidly got a refill when it was time but I didn't take any of them.  I think I was trying to prove something to myself.  I put those oxys in a sock and stashed it in the very back of my closet.  I told myself that if I could go 30 days without touching them, I would flush them.  And that's what I did.  I flushed those little beauties down the toliet.  But the decision to give up the oxys was the best decision I ever made.  I still have pain and I try to control it with things like Arthritis Tylenol, etc.  But I have my life back and that is so worth any of the pain I go through.  If you will make a list of questions for me, I will try to answer them tomorrow when I'm not so tired.  And tell us more about your story, ok?  I think you'll get some great help from this forum.
Yours truly,
Yoda
Helpful - 0
I replied to an earlier post - please see my reply to yours under my last post of 15 days.

However, the only difference I can see, is that percs last a little longer than hydro's -- though not as significantly as Oxy's.

Being where you are at, I can't see much longer than a 2-3 more days before you start getting your life back. :)
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.