Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Am I doing this right?

I am wondering from a recovering addicts perspective what type of support will deem the most favorable. I have been in a new relationship where I learned that my boyfriend had been snorting Oxy for the past 4 years. Besides wanting to run as soon as I learned, I couldn't abandon the fact that this person I truly care about asked for my support. Watching day after day, going through the physical withdrawls, I just don't know my place. It actually seems surreal, I am 35 and have never tried a drug in my life. I don't understand. I commend him for his strength and desire to admit to the problem and seek help. He has currently been participating in an outpatient day program. It's all so new this is only day 6. I just feel it's my responsibility to understand more, research, and obtain support for me to have strength that he made need from me. Is this logical? Or is this his problem to solve? I read these forums all day at work, is it unfair to say I will have zero tolerance for relapse? Any iformation would be much appreciated. Good luck to all of you and God Bless.
7 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
talk to a lady on here named Duchess Golden , just  put in her name where it says "comment to" she';ll reply tonight , and go to al-anon , its a support group for people who have loved ones who r addicted to alcohol mostly but pills , coke , meth etc. oooxxx Keri
Helpful - 0
You are doing fine.   I had never taken dregs before either.  However, my second bought with a ruptured disc in my neck I found I had become dependant/addicted to my pain meds.  For me its a fine line my dr have down I was dependant all that I know is that those little pills had a strong hold on my life .  Prior to this experience I used to put people like me in a catagory.  Boy in the past seven years of my life have I learned not to judge.  Just becouse this happened to him doesn't mean he is weak or anything and the end of this maybe he will be even stronger.  Keep reading peoples post about how they are doing through w/d, I know a couple weeks into it I kinda pushed people out because I was so drained.  Keepposting to us and we will try to get you through this.  I don't know if there is any different form or groups you could go to but I think you are in a good place here.
Helpful - 0
I was referred to you from someone on the forum. I didn't want to post my entire situation, but living with someone again with an addiction I have learned that honesty is the only way. I was married with 2 children for 10 years when I learned that my husband at the time was addicted to cocaine/herion. He tried to kill me and has been in jail for the past 4 years. I haven't dated much since or with the divorce, being a full time student, working 3 jobs and raising the kids. Until about 5 months ago I met a man that I thought was everything I had waited for in the past 4 years. Fantastic career minded individual like me. I am a RN and he is a fireman. Well I stumbled upon a look I hadn't seen in many years. It was all in his eyes one night. I asked him if he was on drugs and he said he was tired of lying to me and he had been snorting Oxy for the past 4 years. My initial instinct was to run, but he told me that when he learned my story about my past, he felt terrible and wanted to begin treatment. It's only day 6 today that he has been in outpatient therapy and day 6 of withdrawls. I want to be there for him, because admitting he had a problem meant alot to me and following through. He said he doesn't want to lose me or the kids that he has grown to appreciate, but I know the disease may contradict otherwise. How do I support someone? This is all so new to me and so scary. I told him that when he asked me for his support, I only took on the responsibility with a "zero tolerance", mind set. I know all the signs, the pupils, the heartbeats, the breathing, itching, etc. I just want to learn how to be the support he needs without being codependant or an "enabler". Am I making a mistake taking this on? It took me a better part of three years of therapy to get where I am today after the family tragedy in late 2002, then after weeding through the gardens for 4 years I find a flower with an addiction. Please share your thoughts on how I proceed with support.........
Helpful - 0
yeah just stick around , read post , share , get to no the regulars , and we will get thru it , welcome to the forum , u r part of a family now and we are alll here for you , I just have an addictve personality I would get addict to smokin pine cone if they gave me a high lolololo anyways stick around ooxxxKeri
Helpful - 0
Thank you all so much. This really means a lot to me. I have already found a NarAnon group that meets on Saturday morning that I will be attending. If you read my previous post I have been through this once before, but the outcome wasn't so great. But then again, never did my ex-husband admit he had a problem......I was over-reacting. At least Brud (the new boyfriend) is making an effort, that is what's driving me to stand by his side.

Helpful - 0
Hi...I know your in a very precarious position...how to help without enabling. I have the same problems with my BF (alcohol) and even though I have an addiction to hydrocodone I do have a legitimate reason to be on them...but not abuse them!! Oh well.

I wanted to let you know that there is a site that deals with all sorts of addictions and it also has a group for family and spouses of addicts and alcoholics, almost like an online Alanon group. You would have to google "sober recovery" and that will take you to the site. I probably will get in trouble for giving this info but I believe that we should all get the help we need.

BTW: this site is also great...very friendly and encouraging! Good luck to you.  
Helpful - 0
Thank you. I will look into that. I had problems with alcohol in the past. I decided 15 years ago I wasn't going to raise my children in an alcoholic environment and quit 15 years ago. I would say in the past 15 years I can count on two hands how many times I have drank. It was a real problem to me in the past, but it was easy to stop because I was starting a family. Even with all the misfortune of the divorce and everything, it tempted the """" out of me, but my kids were there. I just hope that Brud isn't pulling wool over my eyes, because I think he knows how much I want to believe he has the same intentions as I do. Don't get me wrong, he has offered for me to drop him off and pick him up, anything that will make me trust him again...he even has the treatment facility bring me his UA results sealed. Seems like to much to have to be in a relationship, but like I said in earlier post, we really have a great connection outside of this issue.

Another thing this is a great website, I have been searching sites for about two months when I started noticing signs and they don't teach you about "tappering". That's what he said he was trying to do, when I started to question his eyes, heartrate, ect.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.