Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

160mg of Oxycontin 2x a day

I need to know if taking Oxycontin Extended Release 160mg 2 x a day, will it damage your liver or kidneys.  I've been taking less when I started in 2002 as the time has gone on it has increased.  I've had some instances where I've got out of control and taken as many as 20 in one day. Its rare. Sometimes maybe 10 to 15 but also maybe once a month.  My husband now has control over my meds.  The problem also is I don't feel like myself usless I'm  taking at least 120mg two times a day.  Anytime I go below that amount I feel like I have no energy or interest in anything.  What causes that?
Thank you and God Bless.
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
182493 tn?1348052915
To answer your question of what causes that is physical dependence and tolerance. Your body is "addicted" to the medicine. As far as your liver, Oxy does not contain the harmful tylenol like other pain meds such as percoset and vicodin, However i do believe you liver does break down the drug so taking more than recommended will put a strain on your liver.
Helpful - 0
is there a medical reason that you take them
Helpful - 0
WoW!!! Yeah!  twenty is alot!!!!  Please don't do that anymore.  Your husband taking control of yur meds was smart on soeones part.  There are many ways to taper down.  You may want to get ideas from this form and present them to yur doctor.  some times I think people on this forum have been beter educated on tapering and withdrawl than some dr.  Keep posting.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.