Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Out of PIlls - Need to quit - help!

Let me tell you a little about how I got into this situation. I have Nerve damage in my right leg, after 8 months of taking percocets 7.5 mg.  - 4 times a day, I had sugery, ( a nerve stimulator implanted ) which works well.
My last visit to the doctor we discussed how I could get off the meds. He gave me 120 pills, with a time table of reduction until I would be down to one a night, which I will take forever.
My problem? I couldn't keep to the schedule. So now I woke up this morning with nothing. Nada..............
Yesterday I took some old Hyrocodone that I had...today I have nothing. I have searched thru every place I could find to find something to take. Pathetic huh?
I am not a drug taker normally, well I guess now I am...I must face reality. I can't funtion without them. But before all this I never took even aspring for headaches, etc....
My husband has some old Vicoprfen 200/7.5 ( 10 pills ) he told me I better not take them, but he doesn't understand the shakes I feel inside and out or the headache, or the general way I feel. He is very supportive so if I take them I'm sure he will understand.
MY problem? How can I take them to just ward off the shakes and can I take them following what I've been taking? And how can I use these to taper off? Or should I use these ? Should I be tuff and go cold turkey? Should I go to ER and explain and get help?
I don't know what to do!
Please help.....
7 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Just my humble opinion but I would go to the ER if you have had a good experience there before (Some ERs would not listen). I was in this situtation and my ER doc did give me enough pills to get me through till my next refill
I have not started to come off my meds at all because I have so much pain.
So while I hate being on them, I hurt all the time, even with them.  That being said it has been brought to my attention I should get off them if I still have pain.
Pain ON narctotics vs pain off narcotics?  

I feel your pain and anxiety about searching the house for just one pill.  But remember that one pill is not going to do the trick for you.  So it is a holiday weekend and the ER is probably your best bet *honesty* goes a long way and most docs can tell you are sincere.  Hope this helped and best of luck finding your way off the meds.
Helpful - 0
I called the doctor on call who told me she could give me nothing. I would have to see my doctor on Tues. She was no help at all.
So I took one of the pills my husband had. He told me to take it. He is seeing what kind of mess I'm in. My heart is beating out of conrol and I am shaking like crazy.
I am going to go and see my doctor Tues and see what we can do, if anything.
Maybe I shouldn't have taken the pill. I guess I'm weak. Weird. I always thought I was a very strong person.
Hopefully need head will quit pounding in a few minutes. Though I despise myself for being so weak willed.
I never, never, thought I'd find myself in this type of situation.
Helpful - 0
I like that name for you better hope thats ok.  Your situaation is no different than alot of us!!!  Personaly I would space your husbands meds out to get you to tuesday.  That is if you can taper?  I couldnt'.  Would you beable to give them to your husband to help w/a taper program?
Helpful - 0
177036 tn?1192286635
go to the ER and tell the truth, I've never had the truth turn aroung and bit me on the ***
Helpful - 0
Good morning Trouble in Atlanta, wow, do I know just how you are feeling.  I have been in your situation  couple of times before and I know the panic that you must be feeling.  Honestly, I wouldn't give up on the ER. Possibly wait until a change in shift and you may be able to talk to another doctor.  Don't just call but physically go into the ER and let them see how you are.  As I do not know your history with your pain meds and if your doctor is aware of your situation,  but perhaps they can even give you some sort of anxiety med to try and calm you down.  I think the key to your success I think is going to be your husband.  Whatever meds you end up getting, you need to give to him.  And you have to make an agreement with him that you will not hold him responsible for the "tough love" that he is going to have to employ while you get through this.  You might get to the point where you say things to him to try and get meds from him that will be very hurtful or manipulative.  That just isn't fair and I think you know that.  My wife had to do the same thing for me.  If you are able to get something to get you through, don't waste the chance and be strong.  Easy for me to say, huh?  I know.  But, it is the truth.  Then, you need to make an appointment with your regular doctor and don't leave his/her office until you have a definate plan of attack.  For me, quitting will only happen when I finally make the decision that I truly want to quit.  I am not to that point yet unfortunately.  Pain really alters how we think and feel and makes it where we really aren't ourself.  I wish I knew of more to say to help you.  Please know that we are all praying for you.  If you need someone to vent to, my email is ***@****.  Feel free to contact me anytime.  T
Helpful - 0
I know how you feel! Been there, done that- and it s**ks bigtime! I couldn't taper and got on a methadone clinic. It's not as bad as many think it is- I have 2 kids who need me to be "OK" for them, as in up doing stuff with them and supporting them rather than laying on the couch sweating and shaking cuz I'm "kickin".
  I would go to the ER- unless your hubby has a lot of Vicodins. To be fairly comnfortable til Tuesday, you would need AT least half the daily dose you are accustomed to. I was greedy and stayed "jammed" so I know I could get by on about half my dose for a couple days- quite unhappily though!
  Your doctor must know that some people become phsycologically addicted to meds, and it would be VERY unfair to just leave you hanging. If he/she can't get you thru detoxing, then you must be referred to someone who can. It's inhumane to expect you to just go cold turkey. Good luck- you'll get through it- and it doesn't make you weak or a bad person. It's just a reaction that some of us have to narcotics- I don't think we can choose it any more than we can choose our hair/eye color. Hang in there! I'll be watching for your posts.
-Dee
Helpful - 0
Thanks everyone, I am amazed at the support group you have here.
I took the pill at around 10 this morning and that was 5 hours ago. I think me and my husband decided i'd take 2 a day, he has 10. That will get me thru the weekend.
I don't feel I need to give him the pills, I am a very independent person. That is why I don't understand my addiction. Though when the doctor started me on these he told me they were very addictive. But at the time, any relief from the pain was all that I cared about. I really never thought I'd become this dependent on them. I thought once the pain was gone I could stop just like that.
Live and Learn huh?
I will go to the doctor Tues. and see what we can do if anything.
Anyway, I have read a lot of your posts and your attitude and your care for others is truly amazing. You all must be great people. That is another thing I've learned.
There are really wonderful people in the world.

Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.