Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Help this mom quit, please. Also, a question about colonidine.

Please help me.  I am a suburban mom that has gotten hooked on pain meds after a botched c-section 8 months ago.
I am trying to taper off of 4-6(+) 5mg oxy/day which I often take unnecessarily and could do with OTC products for my pelvic pain most days but now exp w/d pain.  

Someone here suggested asking my doc for colonodine while weaning.  If you ask for colonidine are you then labeled as an addict, or can you just say you are tapering off b/c you feel better and need help? I just saw a pain mgt dr (sent after my 3rd doctor expressed concern I was going thru pills too quickly) and unfortun/fortun. he concurred that 4-6 oxy/day was just fine.

I have been concerned to admit the wd symptoms to the docs and have them haunting me in my med records (and with my docs) forever.  I was turned down for life insurance b/c I ordered phentermine for weight loss 3 yr ago and had subsequent heart palpatations, cardiac visits, talks with shrinks .. all this later went unknowingly to the insurance adjusters in my records and affected their decisions. So, all I need now is to add oxy addict to the mix!!! Maybe better to just go cold turkey?

I just want to be done with these for good .. a familiar tune. My husband is very loving and trusting and I pray everyday for strength.  I am too smart to do this to myself and my family.  

I am glad I found this site, it has been a great support to read others' comments and know I'm not alone ... even though it is a lonely feeling when you are counting those pills out to make them last.
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
454371 tn?1221297385
I would not go on sub for that little bit of oxy's.. There are other med's that will help you. I made the misteake of using methadone. I took  Perc's. I was taking 10 to 15 aday.. I should have just tried a tapper. That is what I am doing now.. Tappering of the pills.. Can you try that first. Give them to someone who can dole them out to you..

Do your research on that sub!! I would try the tapper..
Good luck honey and keep posting.. we all know what you are going thru.. It is a long road and scary by your self.... we are here for you...
Helpful - 0
How did it turn out for you, I am coming off of 40mg oxy's several times a day, and it is rough!  I've taken Clonodine, and i think it helps some, but i went cold turkey after several months of hospitalization and dilaudid/morphine usage (as prescribed by i.v ....I had a colostomy and couldn't take pills until the reversal surgery 6 months later, so for 6 months it was Roxenol (liquid morphine) or Dilaudid by i.v, ) I then went to Oxycontin 5mg, then 10, then 20, and finally 40 mg. twice daily at least, and in the end several more 40mg tabs per day than that.....the scrip said "as needed" and soon i was needing all right.  Its going on day 4 and night 4 actually, and my symptoms are a little better, but i feel for any one detoxing off of serious opiate usage.....there is no avoiding some amount of withdrawl....you just have to do it at some point or it will only get much, much worse...believe me on that note!
Helpful - 0
217599 tn?1202850952
i got help from the dr. that prescribed the methadone to me.  he gave me clonidine.  it didn't really help me much, but i haven't taken oxy, so maybe it is better for oxy wd's.  or it could just be my body.  i never had the patch, like i hear about in here. they gave me pills, and i didn't like the side effects.
Helpful - 0
214607 tn?1287677559
Well, Clonodine is for Chills/cold or hot flashes...It works well and will also help you sleep. But its also a blood pressure med. I do think it is associtated with W/D...but who cares, it will help you. Research Suboxone Doctors in your area. There are cliniques you can go to that will taper you or treat you for W/D symptoms and put you on Sub. Ask around, someone here will help you..

Lisa
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.