Aa
A
A
A
Close

Does this sound doable?

JRG
Hi everyone:

I have been doing a lot of reading and a little posting on this sight for a few months. This is a great community with a lot of support and help for us addicts. I have been taking norco for 4 years starting at one a day and now take 9 1/2 a day. I have tried to taper but I always come up with an excuse as to why it is not a good time. I started taking the norco for migraines but they are really not that bad. I like the way they make me feel. Starting Monday I am going to drop 20mg down to 7 1/2 per day. The schedule will then go like this: Tues. 6 1/2, Wed. 5 1/2, Thurs. 4 1/2, Fri. 4 1/2, Sat. 3 1/2, Sun 2 1/2, Mon. 1 1/2 and then Tuesday 0. I have comfort meds: clonidine, xanax, B-12 complex and I have already been taking the all day energy vitamin and can only say good things about it. My question to all of you is do you think this can be done. I have a lot of determination this time and have just enough meds to last to end of taper and I would have to order more on-line if I wanted more. I am not going to do that. I think with all of your support I can get through this. I also have subutex which I have used before when I detoxed a couple of years ago but the depression coming off it was just too much and I want to try and do this without it if possible. Thanks for listening to me ramble on and let me know your opinions.
God Bless
Jackie
6 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
192332 tn?1189755828
Hi!I'm glad to hear you are going to quit this miserable drug.I started a taper plan myself today.I have only done c/t in the past.It was tough but i did it.
  I was reading your post and you said the depression was tough.I agree and that is what usually makes me relapse.not the crave.Try to remember that it is the drug playing with your mind making you depressed.take care of your self and keep us posted on your progress as i will also.Good Luck and God Bless.Bruce
Helpful - 0
177036 tn?1192286635
tapering like that is better than full blown CT but is going to be tough.
Helpful - 0
217599 tn?1202850952
check out my post a few down.  some really encouraging words for those who believe in God.

Lucy
Helpful - 0
Yes, you can do it if you want to badly enough. Maybe you should have your doctor work with you though, on the tapering dosages, etc. It might take longer considering the amounts you've been taking.
kt
Helpful - 0
JRG
Hi Lucy:
Thanks for the response. I have tried the drawn out taper and it never works that is why I am opting for a fast one. I am going to feel like **** if I go cold turkey so I figured if I did a quick one week taper that it would cushion the body a little. I sure hope so! I believe in the power of prayer also and plan to spend a lot of time doing it in the next couple of weeks starting Monday. The Monday I go to zero my husband and younger son are going to camp for a week so I will be home with my older son (16) and I am going to tell him I have the summer flu and just pamper myself and watch a lot of movies and order in food for him. I don't think I will feel like eating much. Is there any other comfort meds that I should need. I was thinking of getting some sleep md but I haven't tried it before and I don't know how well it works. Take care and God Bless.
Jackie
Helpful - 0
217599 tn?1202850952
this sound like a really fast taper, but i do understand not wanting to get more.  the temptation is just too strong if you have a lot of pills.  my hubby has norco too, and it is really hard not to take some, but i don't want to go through this again.  just get ready for a roller coaster ride, and keep on checking in here.  prayer helps too.  you can do it!!

Lucy

Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.