Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

heroin withdrawal more info

My boyfriend, also an addict for 8 years, has just been admitted to a hospital for bipolar disorder.  This has been building for awhile now, and i have been trying to take care of him all alone while living with him.  I had been on suboxone for a week, then started shooting opiates (normally i would snort china) because of the stress.  Thing is, I am all alone here, trying to find a place to live and still work full-time and support myself.  I feel like the stress and lonliness is wrecking my attempt to quit.  i don't know how long he'll be gone, or what will happen to either of us.  i am thinking about taking low doses of methadone to wean slowly, but i feel so weak-willed.  i just don't know how to stop at a time like this, but at the same time, i NEED to stop at a time like this because all i have right now is myself and am trying to be strong.  
10 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
actually i think heroin was the easiest drug to get off because it lasted the shortest in terms of witdrawal but it was the most intense of the witdrawals.  methadone withdrawal is way longer so dont go for it.
Helpful - 0
185545 tn?1331074866
yeah hi.Mdone is a great,inexpensive and SAFE way to dtox of hammer.The way people on this forum talk re sub as tho it were sum magic bullet is exactly how people talked re morphine,heroin and mdone when these meds were first developed.Its dangerous.If u hav the strength 2 endure a sub taper then u can just as readily manage a mdone taper.Sori to rave but it irks me when folks regurgitate media hype re mdone.Its no safer than or worse than sub.good luk
regards J
Helpful - 0
AHHH! AHHHH! This is why I'm becoming a nurse practitioner guys. Suboxone loses all its benefit when given for a long period of time (and that would be anything more than 7 days guys- take it from me, I've done it many times.) My suboxone doctor even tried to force that scheme on me, a several month taper.. it's simply because they don't know and have never taken this drug first hand. As a partial opioid agonist with an enormous 36 hour halflife, suboxone has real flexibility in tapering off, and somehow doctors don't know this yet. Depending on how much a person starts on, it can be done in 4 days (I personally never like to push it more than 5), and when done right, dosed at the right times, it IS in fact painless (and I can testify to that one too).

After around 10 days, suboxone causes withdrawal that I just might compare to my old 50mg of methadone cold turkey- and even at the lowest doses. Like in that example from above, I also did a long taper and stopped at 4mg. But, then the catch hits.. this drug can last for up to 3 days in your system because of its long halflife! Two days later (after already having celebrated supposedly being "clean"), I was literally hurled out of bed in uncontrollable seizure-like spasms. I had a tiny amount of my heroin hidden away that I suddenly remembered, nearly knocked everything over in the process of getting to it, and then finally ended up ramming the tip of the syringe involuntarily into the wall and shattering it because I was completely unable to control my own body. (Heh, yeah I was pretty pissed. Amazing how I even thought I could have used properly at that point anyway with such bad seizures.) I gave up and took that measly half a pill, 4mg of suboxone, and I was completely normal in one hour. So much for that, I switched right back onto heroin. Oh, and to answer a question up above, you can use after taking suboxone, but you generally need to wait 36 hours to properly feel it. Anything before that does almost nothing. It also depends on dose. At 4mg, you can feel a decent sized dose of an opiate at 24 hours.

Anyways, how much suboxone were you started on, and was it your normal custom to sniff and you recently moved to shooting because of the stress? (That's what happened to me.) Basically what the doc isn't telling you is that you can cut your dose of suboxone from 1/3 to 1/2 each day from what you originally started on without feeling the decrease! My trick is to split it up in 12hr increments, NOT the once-a-day thing docs often tell you to do. Ideally you'd want to come off of 2mg (quarter pill) or even 1mg if you can cut the pills with a knife or pill cutter (done that too lol), but you want to get down to that low amount in about 5 days. Usually it's doable and fairly comfortable unless you're prescribed something unusually high like 4 pills a day (32mg). DON'T try methadone- everyone here with experience knows the only way to get off methadone is to go straight back on dope. You've got a golden prescription, use it! You have to be prepared for depression, sneezing, and insomnia at the end about 2 days after you've stopped (but here's the good part- NO tossing and kicking!) I've done the detox this way many times but just ended up relapsing because of boredom, stress, etc.. Nobody's immune to that one and I'm still not sure how to deal with the mental.. weirdness.. after any type of withdrawal, but short-term suboxone is an easy physical taper. Good luck, I'm here for you!!
Helpful - 0
Hey there, I read some of the posts and one thing really concerned me.  The thing about methadone being worse than heroin.
I don't know about the withdrawals from methadone.  I kicked heroin 20 yrs ago though.

The goal is to get clean.   The bigger goal is to STAY ALIVE.   Given the choice between methadone and heroin, GO WITH THE METHADONE.  It may be harder to kick, I don't know.  I do know that when you are out there buying heroin on the street you never quite know what you are gonna get.  People die everyday from doing too much heroin when they weren't sure how good it was.  Especially now that your bf isnt around, you are on your own.  At least with the methadone it comes in a controlled bottle with mgs labeled on it so that you know exactly what you are doing.

Ok.  Once you are off that heroin-laced ledge, then find an good way to withdraw from opiates completely.  I don't know how suboxone works with heroin or methadone addiction.  
One thing I do know is that you need to stop doing the heroin,  now.

Best of all to you hon.  You did the right thing by posting here.
tzt
Helpful - 0
177036 tn?1192286635
You can do a word search in the search engine for methadone and it will bring up all kinds of info....

Dosen't suboxone have an inhibitor that doesn't allow the regular opiates to pass so you don't get the high if you are on suboxone?????  I'm pretty sure it dose so if you are on that and snorting whatever????

Anyway, welcome and don't hesitat to ask questions.
fish
Helpful - 0
177036 tn?1192286635
just FYI someone wrote this on another site:

bupenephrine also known as Suboxone is indeed the miracle drug of today- Together it works with Naxolone an opiate Antagonist. my husband was at 30 mg of methadone when they put him on Suboxone, they want you at the lowest dose of methadone possible so that you will have less withdrawl. The catch is, most rehabs put you on suboxone for only a week, then send you out to the street feeling like you just want to die- with methadone sometimes it takes 6 months to a year to get out of your system. Suboxone is safe and should be given for a longer period of time. My husband came out of rehab feeling ok, until a day or two later, in which he got severly depressed, we went to our family doctor and put him back on the suboxone, -within 3 hours after taking it, his body pain was gone and he was feeling Normal again mentally. Only 4 mg did the trick. Thank God for this. Keep this in mind, you Cannot take any opiate derivatives while taking suboxone. It blocks all opiate effects, thus blocking any Europhoria you may feel if taking (vicodin, oxycontin, heroin, etc... ) In this sense overdose would occur tryin to get the Europhia you simply wont get. It is like anabuse in a sense. Although the bupenephrine is an opiod in itself to help with the body pain, the Naxolone component blocks the effects of the "high". Hope this makes sense. Some have to be on Suboxone for months>to years>- with that I say "so be it" if that is what it takes to stay clean, along with Meetings for the psychological part. Take care -good luck

fish- I think that's about the jest of it... I don't wanna be on for a year though!
Helpful - 0
192332 tn?1189755828
I know a lot of my friends were on the horse.some are clean now.some i haven't heard from for years.and one was my wife's ex husband.it killed him.3 baloons one pop.the kids never got over it and never will.If i were you i would get to a doc or clinic if you can't get clean your self.The shi11 out there is not as clean as it was 25 years ago.too easy to hot fix now.ya know?You got to take care of #1.Lucy is right with the methadone and sub.
  I had a methadone problem a few years ago.I was a little younger and stronger.i would hate to go another round with that demon.Do you have kids?if so that is another good reason to go some where else for help if you can't kick it.
   I know there are a lot of helpful peeps here that will post you and try to help you.Just hang for a while and read and post.amazing things happen here.good luck and God Bless.
Helpful - 0
If you don't mind, what are some symptoms of beng bi-polar?

My wife just 10 minutes ago blames her having an affair, even leaving me on Fathers Day so she could be with her b/f, on her possibly being bi-polar. Knowing nothing about it, and reading your post, well, just seemed like perfect timing.

Is she full of chit (well, I already know she is), or could this possibly be true?

Helpful - 0
Welcome,

I feel for you but have to ask how can you help anyone while your in addiction.....
Did you ever think that you need the help........

No family support willing to help you or have you burned those bridges.......
Helpful - 0
217599 tn?1202850952
hun, the methadone is worse than the heroin.  just go read all of the posts you can find with the word methadone in the title.  go from page tp page, it will scare you to death.  it took me two weeks to get off a low dose and 13 days totally off and i am still weak as a wet dishrag.  you don't need that.  keep with the suboxone, you are probably having wd's from it if you quit instantly.  you have to taper it off, but it sounds easier than the methadone.

Lucy
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.