Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Husband addicted to Crank

Help, my Husband has been addicted to Crank for way over the 13 1/2 years that we've been together.  I can't take the roller coaster ride much longer.  Ar first I thought if I just showed him alot of love and support he would stop but that didn't work.  A few years ago he lost his job after 23 years of working there because he didn't pass the drug test.  I am so very tired and have lost most of my respect for him.  He is still in denile about even having a problem.  I know that he is still doing it.  The mood swings are unberable.  I don't know where to turn.  I'm so afraid of losing everything I've worked so hard for.  And I would die if my grown children and my granddaughter found out.  Please, I need some direction here.
14 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Thank you all so much.  I noticed my behavior when I got home last night.  I felt stronger.  For you who are ex addicts what was the turning point for you to get help?  I wish I had a perfect word or thought that could help my husband but I know I don't.  It is really sad.  
Helpful - 0
He snorts it.  No one suspects him of doing it.  He takes care of his apprearance and always has a pretty healthy appretite.  It's the up and down mood swings that I can't take anymore.  He will stay up nights "twiking" on things (Never seems to finish one thing)  blames EVERYONE around him for his short comings.  I want to run but I have no where to go and I don't want to lose my house.  I worked so hard for it.
I didn't know that I could go to a meeting without him.  I know there must be some kind of a support system but they don't seem to have many around my area.  I do go to a physichirtrist (sorry about the spelling) and he has told me the same thing.  That he will take me down with him but it is so very hard.  I just can't believe that he won't get help- My insurance will pay for treatment.
Helpful - 0
I hate to be the one to tell you unless people have their heads in the ground they prob allready know. Crank usres are pretty obvious from rotten teeth to bad complexion, to just all around scrubby looking.I would find a meeting for yourself and get up from under that. Its a one wsy ticket to jail , death or some type of institutation. He needs help desperately. Been there done that, and from God's willGot from under that. Good luck cause thay meth is soooo addicting.
Helpful - 0
There is nothing you can do to make an addict clean - he has to want it.  It sounds like he is in deep.  You need to take care of yourself at this point.  Maybe if he sees that you want to live - it will put the idea in his head to quit.  Maybe go stay with someone or tell him you can't take it anymore.  I can't imagine what you are going through - but there is life outside of addiction (which your husband has you immersed in).  Please seek help for yourself.

Shelby
Helpful - 0
Just curiors does he shoot it or smoke it?
Helpful - 0
I didn't mean to be harsh but I coulden't candy cote or tppy toe around meth.
Its a problem everywhere.
Helpful - 0
Hi and welcome.  I feel for you.  I was in the same boat.  My ex had a horrible problem with meth for years.  Finally, the LAST time I had to have him arrested, 11-17-00, for beating on me, I decided enough was enough.  The mood swings are horrible.  I never knew which mood he would be in when he got home from work, and I dreaded him coming home.  Most weekends he didn't, and I would be so relieved.  The only thing that got him straightened out was moving away from here, back to southern Georgia after our divorce, and the law.  He got in trouble down there shortly after he moved.  He will now be on probation for another five years and has to submit to random drug tests.  He would never have stopped using if not for that.  Please take care of yourself and do what you need to do, follow your gut feelings.  Good luck.
Helpful - 0
I hate to be the one to tell you unless people have their heads in the ground they prob allready know. Crank usres are pretty obvious from rotten teeth to bad complexion, to just all around scrubby looking.I would find a meeting for yourself and get up from under that. Its a one wsy ticket to jail , death or some type of institutation. He needs help desperately. Been there done that, and from God's willGot from under that. Good luck cause thay meth is soooo addicting.
Helpful - 0
It's awful but sometimes I wish he would get busted.  Maybe he would get help then.  I don't get hit but our agruments are horrible.  Sometimes he will call my work and be so happy and say hey, let's go out to dinner and ten minutes later when I get home. OMG, it's not even the same person I just talked to.  He is hostile, defensive and just an out and out *******.

You know I wasn't going to post, but I'm so glad I did.  There is strength in numbers.

Thanks so much
Helpful - 0
I know exactly how it is.  That nite in November 2000, he had called me at lunch in a wonderful mood and was going to take me out that nite for my birthday.  My mom picked up our kids (thank god) who were 5 and 8 at the time, and when he got home, he went nuts.  He threw a recliner across our family room in the basement.  There was an ax down there, we heated with a wood stove at the time, and for the first time ever, I was afraid for not only my safety, but my life too.  I was finally able to get away from him and drove to our sheriff's department and had them go down to talk to him.  He was so out of it, he poked one of the officers in the chest, and they took him to jail.  I just thank god that my children never had to witness this kind of thing.  That was the end of our marriage.  Please just be careful.  They are not who we think they are when they are on meth.  When I met him and married him, I would have laughed at any one who said that I would ever be abused mentally or physically by him.  Take care of yourself.
Helpful - 0
Oh my god.  Thank God you got out with your life.  I'm so glad your children did not witness what happened.  My husband is 64 years old and I think if the light hasn't come on yet I don't think it will.  There are so many times that I have wanted to have new friends come over but I'm afraid how he will act in front of them.  I started going to a church in my area that I just love and I would like to get more involved in, but then there is him.  So I just back off.  I'm 55 and a pretty strong woman.  I know I will get through  this.  I was a single mother for many years on my own.  We just got married 9 years ago, lived together for 13 and I never dreamed it would be like this.  He was so fun to do things with.  No children, No ex-wife I thought it would be perfect.  Sometimes I just don't think I can handle the Mental abuse much longer.
Thanks for sharing your story with me.  It really does help to know people like you are out there and understand.  You feel so alone when you are involved in something like this.
Helpful - 0
Girl, you are so not alone.  Meth is such a presence in our society, there are probably millions of women out there just like you and me.  I feel for you, stick around here and post anytime you need to.  There are alot of caring people here and if you ever need anything, just let us know.
Helpful - 0
Yes there are alot of ppl that care. I hate it , hate it, hate it, when I hear of women being abused. I know it happns to guys too, but right now its us girls. That meth is such a bad thing i don't know what to say. He's on of the few that keeps himself up. For vanity purposes I did too, I didn't let it get me ugly. per say, but on the inside it turns you into a beast, that was 5 years ago. And I was smoking glass. Thank God I stopped. But we as addicts substitute one addiction for another, and this one was legit, after all I was getting it from the doctor. And he would never hurt me.Well I f---ed it up to as I can't do anything as a normal person. Now I am on suboxone. and I thank God for it.
                              Cathy
Helpful - 0
177036 tn?1192286635
GO TO AN ALANON MEETING IMMEDIATELY... GO TO A FEW!
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.