Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Does the "Happy" come back?

Day 3 of hydro withdrawal.  I was a very "Happy" person before I began taking hydros.  Now that I have quit taking them I am depressed and this is almost too much to bear. Does that go away?  I am also jittery and moody.

Here is my problem.  I began taking hydros, 10/500 twice daily, for cronic pain in my feet due to a bulging disk.  Currently I have a stint in my ureter due to a 5mm kidney stone that came out 2 weeks ago.  Had 12 inches of my colon taken out 3 years ago and have pain from that.  WILL IT EVER END!  My biggest fight is: Do I take the pills and get rid of the pain or take them the rest of my life.  

I have read other posts and seen where people have stated it does...I just wantd to hear it one more time if it is true.

Thanks
7 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
today is my first day of going cold turkey, need help, lots and lots of help
Helpful - 0
177036 tn?1192286635
I'm Happy you're here!!!
Helpful - 0
It does come back....I think most if not all of us can totally relate to how you are feeling mentally!  Honestly, I don't know your level of pain but mine is pretty bad sometimes (2 herniated discs adn post discectomy!-recurrent herniation) I justified my use because of this but as an addict finds out, my usage got completely out of hand!  I still have bad pain days but have found that 800mg Ibuprofen, Yoga and a good soak in the hot tub make it bearable. What is unbearable would be going back to the life of pills ruling every move that I make in life!  Day three you are still pretty raw and feeling lousy.  Give yourself some time to feel better mentally....it really does get better, maybe not all at once but little by little you will have moments of clarity and happiness and they become more and more frequent as time passes.

Day 3-6 I think were most difficult for me mentally, jittery, anxious, nervous, sadness, all those negative feelings but you will get through it and be a lot happier not having a demon like those pills ruling your life!

Hang tough! There is a light at the end of the tunnel!
Marcie
Helpful - 0
192332 tn?1189755828
It does get better.i get depression BAD.every time.thats why i relapse so easily.Look up P.A.W.S. post acute withdrawal syndrome.google it.It says a lot.good luck.God Bless.
Helpful - 0
Your happiness will come back - but it takes time. You are probably 2-3 days before the dysphoria starts to really lift - and could be back to normal within a week -- some people take over a month. I know for me, the mental stuff stays around longer almost every time I try to quit. I've been back to *happy* on day 4 before, and it's taken nearly 2 weeks on other attempts.

On my recent 6 week stint - I had a happy moment on day 7 and 8 - but got dyshoric again 9 - 10 -- day 11, I had CRUSHING depression, but day 12 I felt very happy. Over the next 4 weeks, my mood improved - I did have bouts where I'd get mildly depressed, or irratiable - but the good times definately outweighed the bad.

The longer you go, the better you get. The first few weeks is where most of us relapse - either due to the initial depression, the the depression relapse - we *feel* it will last forever, but it will not - unless you were depressed in the first place, and as you said, you were not.

God luck to you. :)
Helpful - 0
222369 tn?1274474635
I was told by a number of people that if you were happy before the meds, then you will be happy again after. This only goes for opiates (benzos are another story...they react with many people very differently). The problem is the amount of time it takes. Some on here seem to rebound quickly, others take longer. All that I can tell you is that I'm on day 8 and the happy minutes outnumber the sad ones more and more every day. Yesterday I was weepy as all h***. Today, I seem OK. Please, hang in there. And post here often with questions, it truly helps...
Helpful - 0
216878 tn?1196037520
I am not sure what you are asking, could youask me again, i will try to help you if i can..

Thanks
Hopeless
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.