Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Itchy legs, no sign of rash or irritation

For the last four years I have had a problem with my legs itching.  When it started it was only an occasional problem, but it has developed into an everyday occurance.  When my legs itch it is usually my lower legs, but my upper legs will itch too.  There is never any sign of a rash or any kind of irritation on my skin - it just itches like crazy.  Sometimes it feels more like a "pins and needles" feeling, like when your hand or foot falls asleep.  It almost feels like every little hair on my legs are poking me.  I've tried switching detergents, soaps, not using fabric softener or bleach, I've used anti-itch lotions from my dermatologist, but nothing helps.  It gets so severe at times that it brings me to tears.  Sometimes it will get so bad it will wake me up in the middle of the night.  It can last only a few minutes or it can last days.  Usually it seems to be aggravated by something, the most common causes being nylons, water (taking a shower or swimming), humidity, and shaving.  But sometimes it doesn't seem to be caused by anything at all.  I have been to several doctors trying to solve this - and all I've been able to determine so far is that I am not having an allergic reaction to anything.  I will do anything to make this stop, it has been going on for so long now.  Not to mention that I'm getting married in a few months, and I would hate for my itchy legs to ruin my wedding day and my honeymoon!  I have already had two doctors tell me "I don't know what else you can do", so any suggestions on what this is or how I can treat it would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.
108 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
242489 tn?1210497213
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Allergic reactions will not cause itching symmetrically on both legs.  Likewise, there are no skin ir internal diseases of which I am aware which cause symptoms of the type you describe.  Therefore, I don't think any tests are called for.

When people itch without a rash, in my experience stress is often a factor.  At times it's the itch itself which induces the stress--in other words, the more you itch, the more you scratch, and so on.  And the more you worry about whether you're going to itch, the more you will.

What I usually advise itchy people to use is a topical anesthetic, as often as needed (even every few minutes.)  This can help break the itch-scratch cycle.

Over-the-counter anesthetics include: Benadryl, Lanacane, Sarna, and pramoxine.

Prescription anti-itch products include Lidocaine and Zonalon.

I advise you to use one or more of these and use them regularly, until you stop itching.

And congratulations on your upcoming marriage.  (Talk about stress!)

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Helpful - 3
I have had the same exact problem for almost two years.  I know the doctor answered you back telling you that is most likely stress.  My doctor said the same thing to me also, but I really do not have a stressful life.  I have read that itching WITHOUT a rash maybe a sign of a serious internal disease.  I'm going to have my itching further checked out for any internal problems, you might want to consider doing this too.  There are many different things they can do to figure out what this is beside just looking at your skin.  Good luck.
Helpful - 3
I just wanted to write and tell you that I have the exact same problem also.  I have had this problem for two years.  It tends to occur violently only after I take showers, although my itching is present in a lesser amount on and off throughout the day.  I have done some searching on the internet and have found that I am not alone.  Other women have had this same problem.  No one has found a successful treatment for it yet, it seems like.  I know it's not stress, and, personally, I get very tired of doctors trying to pawn it off on that.  If anyone has any suggestions of how to dull the itch please let us know.  This is an extremely frustrating affliction.
Helpful - 2
Doesn't it seem so relaxing to hear that you're not the only one going through this problem.  Now if a doctor would just find a cure for this problem.  If you do hear anything/find anything out on our problem, please let me know.  Oh yeah, the shower thing (violent itching spells) happens to me too.  And the occassional itching throughout the day.  Go figure!!
Helpful - 0
I also have the same "itchy" problem.  It occurs under the following circumstances:  After showering, after swimming and on very humid days (if my legs sweat a little).  The itching is primarily the front part of my upper legs (thighs) with some itching on the back side of my upper arms.  I use Lubriderm on a daily basis to control the after shower itching...helps a little but still ithes wildly for about 30 minutes after the shower.  After swimming on hot humid days there is nothing I can do....makes me just crawl in my skin.  The itching is so bad and I get the "pins and needles" effect for about 30 minutes.  Sometimes it is so bad I have to rub my legs with a hair brush or something !!  There is not even a sigle hint of redness or skin discoloration which amazes me.  The funny thing is I can go in a hottub in the winter and it hardly even bothers me???

I have tried drinking water and have been to the doctor.  He had me try a topical steroid to be used in small amounts but that did not help much.  I am going back this week because I just can't take it anymore.  Other things I may try that I have been reading about are Sarna cream and lowering sugar input which I am going to try.  The worst part about this "syndrome" is when you try and explain the severity of it they look at you like you are crazy which really ticks me off.  

Are there any other suggestions Doctor? This is not a stress induced issue for me.  I also want to let people in this forum know that you are not alone.  I will be eternally greatful to anyone that can solve this issue since I have been living with it for 4 years now and just have to do something about it...anything!
Helpful - 3
Hi everyone thank God im not the only one. im 17yr. old and ive told my mom about my icthing and she told me it was all in my head so i said i was going to find out my self cause i hardly sleep when i do itch and i hate takin showers but i found takin a bath with rubbing alchohol in the tub helps a little.  Plus rubbing your self w/ warm petrleum jelly (vaseline) also helps.
Helpful - 1
I would watch out with the alcohol in the tub.  I used to get some relief with rubbing alcohol on my skin when I get itchy till my doctor said that makes the itching worse because rubbing alcohol can make your skin 10 times drier.  Would the alcohol not make your privates dry and itchy?
Helpful - 0
Well - have any of you considered it may merely be from shaving your legs then wearing tight pants or hose?

I find that I shave my legs more often in the warmer months, then if I wear hose - the "stubble" can get rubbed this way and that by my hose causing my legs to itch.

In warm weather, the hose would rub more vigorously because of your legs being warmer.

Just a thought! :)

~Kimberly
Helpful - 0
I am having the same symptoms.  I feel like I'm going crazy, and I can't stand this.  
I went to the emergency room a month ago because of the itching, and was told that it is an allergic reaction to a new detergent or soap., and the Dr. prescribed me Atarax, but it didn't help the itching.  I've stopped using any new products, and changed my detergent, soap, lotion, etc. back to what I have always used.  
Different from what you've said though, when I take a hot shower or bath it actually eases some of the itching.  I feel like I'm being bitten...by something that I can't see.  I have no rash, no sores, cuts, bumps or anything.  
It first started on my upper legs and bottom, around the inside of my thighs and the top of my thighs.  Now it is happening all over.  It has gone to all over my thighs, the underside of my forearms, the upperside of arms, lower legs, back, I feel it on the back of my neck now close to my hair line...it is all over.  
Like I said, this is making me crazy.  It started about 3-4 weeks before I went to the Dr. (about 2 + months ago), and still there is nothing on my skin to show that anything is wrong.  The only thing I think I can see are very small black dots (about the size of the tip of a straight pin), where ever I get the itch/bite.  I don't know if these dots are anything, or if I'm just hoping to see something so I will be able to find out what is happening.  

I read on another board where a lady has this same thing that I'm talking about, but she is the only other person I've heard talk about this before, until I found this board.  

From what I'm reading it seems like it's affecting women.  I'm  also wondering what part of the country you all who are experiencing this live in, thinking that maybe it is a geographical occurance.  That it may be something that people are coming in contact with in a certain area.  I live in Virginia, but like I said I don't know of Anyone else who is having this problem, until I read it on these BBoards.  

Please post if you know of anything, or find anything out about this itching/biting problem.
Helpful - 1
I live in South Carolina and I've had the "itch" severely after my daughter was born.  The day after I had her I had this really bad itch.  Before the "itch" I had an occasional dry skin itch, but ever since giving birth to her it's been worse.  My friend and I noticed that anyone with this problem, like you did, has been female.  The "itch" could be from many things like: sudden hormone changes (birth control changes, a baby's birth, aging), thyroid problems, too much yeast in your body, skin diseases, auto-immune problems, etc.  So weird that all of us being women keep seeing male doctors and dermatologists (pardon me if you saw a female), but maybe we all ought to see females of the medical profession.  If any of you have any of the same symptoms or maybe live along the east coast like the two of us, write back.  All of us pulling in together with more information about ourselves could give us more ideas or help.  Thanks!

PS
in case any of you feel writing to discuss this
problem anywhere besides this site my email address
is: ***@****
Helpful - 0
I travel a lot for my job, and up until about 2 months ago, I spent a lot of time in S.C.  Mostly around Latta and Timmonsville, but would go out to Greenville and through Columbia sometimes.  I spent a lot of time up and down the E. coast from Maryland to Florida.  
I've been looking around the web and found things about R.L.S. that sounds something like this.  I'm not saying that's what is going on with everyone, but it's something to think about.  
I was thinking I may have a thyroid problem.  I get very tired alot and usually feel run down, but I'm still pretty active.  My blood pressure has been low the last couple times it has been checked (both in the past 2 years).  And a few other things, so I'm really not sure.  

Anyways here are a couple links to the pages:  

http://womenshealth.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mhsource.com%2Fhy%2Frls.html

&

http://www.rls.org/about_rls/default.htm

Jestine
Helpful - 0
Hey, I looked the RLS site up and that's not me.  I may jerk only when I get itching fits and don't scratch.  I don't jerk any during the day or night, and when my skin itch's I don't feel the need to just move my limbs.  I feel the need to dig my fingernails in my skin and pull it off to stop the itching.  As gross as that may sound, that's my reaction to itching that bad.  Does RLS sound like the symptoms you're having?

PS
That screen name I put in there before was
the wrong one (that was an old screen name).
The correct one is ***@****, just in
case you'd rather leave feedback there.  Thanks
Helpful - 0
I have this problem too.  It's very strange b/c I had it about 3 years ago and it went away.  It is back now...just started a few days ago.  It happens only after a shower.  (This morning I chose not to take a shower, not how I want to handle this in the future! ;)  This is strange:  the only commonality is that the drain in my shower got clogged a few days ago.  When I had it before we had a slow drain in the shower...I have no idea if this has anything to do with.   I am having the drain fixed Monday and will post a comment if that helps.  Does anyone else have a slow drain?
It also seems to start out slow and build up to an intollerable itching (really more crawly than itchy) that makes me crazy.
Any info. is greatly appreciated.  I'll keep you posted on the drain.
Helpful - 0
Just to let everyone know.  I am a male, and I suffer from the same itching problem.  It used to happen evey once in a while, but now it happens more often.  Mostly on my legs, but sometimes on my chest.  It only occurs after I take a shower.  I found one possible solution to the problem.  Hot showers.  I mean, really hot showers, not to where it will burn you, but really hot.  Hope this helps.

Steve
Helpful - 2
I have also had this problem for the last 8 years.  (Since my late teens)  It drives my husband crazy, my legs are a mess and I have not worn short skirts or shorts for a very long time.  It seems to clear up for a few weeks in summer time, unless it is really hot, in which case it becomes a great deal worse.  Even when my legs are clear of scabs, there are hundreds of scars.
Things that seem to trigger it are:
stress, heat, sweat, shaving legs then wearing stockings, nylon trousers, pins and needles, dry weather, cold weather.
Things that seems to help it are, cold packs, amolin (a barrier cream with zinc in it), showering or getting up and changing my activity.
Hormones do not seem to have had an effect, as the problem started well after puberty, well before becoming pregnant and has continued through two pregnancys and breastfeeding.
I have reached the point now where I live with it as an unfortunate part of my life, which is otherwise rich and fulfilling.
Helpful - 0
Hello itchy skin pals... I thought as most did that I was the only one , I am happy to know that I am not alone but sorry for all who suffer form the "itch". I am a healthy 25 year old woman w/ 3 small children . The server itching started about three years ago during the pregancy of my second child. Not sure if that has anything to do with it . Just as most it is only my legs that itch , it usually lasts for 30 minutes or so but with me the only relief I can get is by getting into a warm shower and finishing with cool water then immeditly putting an anti-itch lotion (Neutrogena :soothing relief ) and forcing myself NOT to itch my legs for atleast 20 minutes. This does not happen to me every day in fact the only things that I notice as a regular is that it will start about 15 minutes after I get up in the morning . I live in  Western North Carolina have all my life. Strange , maybe there is a connection. One thought that my husband found is it could be "hard water" and for some getting a water softner has helped. I have not tried that yet.... I wonder if it is a vitamin or mineral deficiency . Well lets keep looking for an answer . Thank-you all for your thoughts and Ideas.
Helpful - 0
I've commented so many times, I'm a regular here.  I noticed that whenever I had a shower or bath, hot, warm, cold, warm-cold, that I itched.  So I just bathe my privates with soap, kinda like a sponge bath.  After that, I gently rub a damp wash cloth over the rest of my body.  My problem now is that shaving really irritates my skin like the shower did.  I am a woman and I need to shave to feel a little feminine.  Anyone know if waxing would cause an itch like shaving with a razor?  I have had to spend the whole summer in jeans just so no one will look at my legs.  It seems that no matter what I do, I will end up miserable with "the itch".
Helpful - 0
Some of the people in the site below this one "itching head to toe", have some of the same symtoms.  A few people list some things that might help.
Helpful - 0
If you have itchy or unpredictable skin problems, I strongly urge you NOT to use any type of depilitory! Nair, wax, Nads, smoother/buffer. If you are getting razor burn or nonspecific skin irritations when you shave, I suggest that you first sit in a luke warm bath with all natural salts and use an all natural oatmeal soap to lather up and use a new razor head each time. The new razor will be sharper and more importantly it won't be clogged by old dead skin and hair.
Who knows what we have? It most likely runs deeper than the top layers of our derma, but why take chances scraping off the top layer of our skin with a razor and then transferring it into a deeper layer by a dull razor cut?
Just my humble opinion.
Helpful - 0
Try an oatmeal bath soap and natural bath salts, use a new razor blade each time you shave. Use only a spritz spray aloe moisturizer after you get out of the tub/shower, pat dry and don't rub.
Helpful - 0
I cannot believe it.  The internet is great.  I woke up yesterday with itchy ankles -- no rash, just itch.  Today it is even worse and now I have momentary itches all over, but the ankles & legs are the worst.  I live in Virginia -- don't know if geography has anything to do with it.  I have been looking around the internet for possible causes, and found this site. Hope we can figure this out -- this itching business will drive you crazy and I have only itched for a little over a day!!!
Helpful - 0
I actually found that a hair removal cream helped a lot, although it was difficuolt to find a time when there was no open sores on my legs, as it meant the hair was growing back more sparsely (is that a word?) and also finer and less bristly.  This removed the bristly itch factor, but did not solve the problem completely, just partially.
I stopped doing it after a while because I didn't think it was a good idea while I was pregnant and breastfeeding.
I have also found that wiping my legs over with an antiseptic such as medical hydrogen peroxide on a regular basis (twice a day, every day) helps a bit.
Helpful - 0
I've used everything in the bath that you can think of and I still itch when I get out.  As far as shaving I have rough, course hairs so when I do shave my legs I have to use a new razor every time.  I've read on some sites that when you shave it cuts the hairs and makes them pointy.  So when they grow back that's why they make your legs itch.  That's why I asked about waxing.  I've used stuff like nair too a long time ago, and that stuff didn't work.  I guess I'll just have to join they guys and spend the rest of my life with hairy legs.  
     So far two or three of you have mentioned the states you live in and I'm just starting to think the water/itch thing is an East Coast problem.  What do you guys/ladies think?

P.S.
Anyone else embarassed like me
about this itching problem and
get the feeling that no one
believes you?
Helpful - 0
Well, I am still very new to this -- as I said it just started, but it has just about driven me crazy in two and a half days.  My itch may be different -- althought it started on my legs and ankles, it seems to have spread to other parts of my body.  And, yes it does sometimes seem to be like little needles.  

I tried putting Vitamin E on the worst spots this morning and that worked for awhile.  But, I am back to itching and no rash in sight.

As far as anyone believing you, my husband thinks I've gone off the deep end.  Since he cannot see a rash, he thinks the itching is in my head!!  No, it is definitely on my skin!!

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Dermatology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions