Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

35 yr old male w/chronic pain - am I going crazy? need help please

I am a 35 yr old male who started developing pain around my chest about 4 months ago. I had a stress test and ecocardiogram with results normal. my doctor told me it was anxiety and stress related. The pain continued and began to spread to different parts of my body, along with the beginning of tingling sensations, slight muscle spasms (not painful but just when your muscle is having a spasm and your muscle pulsates) and what seems to be more itching than normal. The pain started to get sharp and noticeable on my right side midway between my armpit and waist, so my doctor therefore had me do an ultrasound which only revealed that I have a fatty liver (i am not overweight but am a pretty heavy drinker - which I have no cut down to almost nothing). I also had a CT scan which showed no abnormalities with my liver, pancreas, etc.  My blood work also showed no elevated levels of liver enzymes. About 1 week ago I began to notice that I was mixing up words in my speech (for example saying "I have to let gunch" instead of "i have to get lunch") which to me seems to be becoming more apparent every day. I am not on any medication.  My doctors keep telling me I'm fine and just stressed and that I need to exercise, but I just don't feel right and it seems these symptoms are getting worse. It is starting to affect my daily life and overwhelm me.  what do these symptoms suggest might be the problem?  i've been tested for hep B and C which were negative and I took 2 home HIV tests (are these reliable?) which were negative.
11 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Oops! I just noticed that I said you needed a CT of MS. My mistake! It is an MRI that you need. Sorry.
Helpful - 0
Not MS or autoimmune. You need an MRI which is the gold standard not a CT. MRI visualizes the soft tissue. You may have a type of hepatitis that is related to excessive alcohol consumption. Your blood is not being filtered correctly and the basement membrane of your kidneys are not functioning properly causing toxin build up in the blood. Stop Drinking!
Helpful - 0
rubble:
Here is some information for you to check out:
http://www.canlyme.com/patsymptoms.html

Muscle spasms and twitching can be due to low magnesium.

Carol
Helpful - 0
Go to the arthrits forum, and read the thread about ALS. There is a link there you should check out.
Helpful - 0
thanks. I had a bad spell of dizziness almost 3 yrs ago exactly and had an MRI on my head which showed no cancer or lesions ... if I had MS would something have showed up then?
Helpful - 0
thanks. I've arranged an appt with a neurologist ... but I've also been reading about ALS (Lou Gehrigs disease) and muscle twitches (which i've been getting more of in the past week) are described as a very early symptom of ALS -> which is scaring the hell out of me.
Helpful - 0
If you had MS then, it should have shown up, but it's a progressive disease, so if you are concerned now, I would suggest a new MRI, and have it compared to the old one.
Helpful - 0
A CT scan is the "gold standard" test for MS. You would definately want it reviewed by a neurologist. Fibromyalgia is usually diagnosed by ruling out everything else. Good luck. Keep us posted.
Helpful - 0
thanks. I've looked into FM and i do have some of the symptoms (chronic pain) but the itching, muscle spasms (which continue to get worse) and messed up speech made me think it might be something else. I looked at MS but didn't realize PAIN can be a symptom. What type of dr do you see for MS diagnosis (neurologist) and how do they diagnose you?
Helpful - 0
Dude you sound like you have Fibromyalgia and/or Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

Many people with CFS and FM start to jumble their words, I know I did. And if you have FM with CFS, the FM gives you aches and pains in random areas on your body.

It could also be MS, but it sounds like you have the symptoms of FM and CFS.
The chest pains etc...

Do ensure that your Doc checks Heart etc though aswell. Anxiety is also commonly linked to CFS and FM but with FM you can get bad chest pain all by itself. Good luck and God Bless! :)
Helpful - 0
Have you been checked for MS, or any autoimmune diseases?
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Undiagnosed Symptoms Community

Top General Health Answerers
363281 tn?1714899967
Nelson, New Zealand
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
19694731 tn?1482849837
AL
Learn About Top Answerers
Popular Resources
Discharge often isn't normal, and could mean an infection or an STD.
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.