Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Strong Abdominal Pulse

I am a 34 year old woman, non-smoker, and generally in good health. Back in August, I noticed that I could feel and see a pulsing sensation in my abdomen...mostly when lying on my back.

I mentioned it to my Dr. and was sent for an ultrasound to rule out any kind of aneuryesm.  I do have an uncle with a aneuryesm.

Nothing abnormal as far as a aneurysem was found on the ultrasound (thank goodness!) and I was told that as my aorta comes down toward my abdomen, it is closer to the surface of my skin and having lost some weight (30lbs) over the past year, coupled with simply having a "strong abdominal pulse", this is why suddendly, I can see and feel a pulse there.

Having the ultrasound did calm me down a little, but my question is how common (or uncommon) is this?  I asked others if they can feel a pulse in their stomachs, and I haven't found anyone yet!  I am 5'8 and about 158lbs...not super-thin, by any means.  

Is there any danger with having your aorta close to the surface like that?  The Ultrasound tech joked with me to make sure I didn't take any knife wounds to the abdomen.  ;)

14 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hi i'm 20, about 10.4stone - about 145.6lb us. I have always had a strong pulse in my stomach right from being a child. I am not over weight but not underweight either although I have been losing weight recently,
My stomach never concerned me untill I was having it looked at for a different reason ( I have ibs and was having a check up) and the doctor remarked " oh you have a bounding pulse in your stomach"  I asked her if it was normal as she looked quite confused and was feeling it in the middle for quite some time. She shrugged and hold me it was probably because I am quite slim.
I never worried about it before that- I even used to joke about it and see if I could make things bounce on it as a child!!
I don't mean to sound offensive but you all seem quite a bit older than me so is it normal to have a bounding pulse in your stomach this young??
Thanks.
Helpful - 0
HI  I have been suffering like the rest of you good people for many years with pvcs and recently psvt or sinus tach.The most important element to face is the fear.I was so scared when i recently went for a stress test i had palps 1 min. in to it.The difference is before i would have panicked,now i went home and went on the treadmill for 25 min.like i do 3 times a week.I  wanted to prove to myself just how powerfull fear can be.I am starting to realize after all these years i can finally start to fight these fears.I have been reading the post from the doctors and all the gracious people on here for the last 6 months and my thanx to all of you for your help and information.Happy holidays to all of you.
Helpful - 0
124876 tn?1189755833
Well, I am on a Beta Blocker and an anxiety med...and it was helping...i thought it was...but I have good days where I feel like I can conquer anything...but then I get hit with a few hard palps out of the blue and then it will stress me out for days...wondering if I am going to drop dead and never see my son grow up....I am very high anxiety/panicky/stress...but you would never know it if you met me...I hide it well..most of the time! but this is a battle I have been waging since I was 18..I am now 32! It has gotten worse over the past 3-4 years for some reason.  I think because as you get older and you start becoming aware of your own mortality. You know..in your teens and 20's you don't think of that stuff...I mean, we all get that we are ALL going to die one day...but to have to worry about it on a DAILY basis at an early age is a horrible way to live...I think the key is to seek counseling which I have been swearing I was going to do...not sure why I keep putting it off but there are people on here who swear by it...so I think it is worth giving a shot...
Helpful - 0
You know Yoshi74 is sounds like I am writing the post from you.  I live in your shoes exactly.  Do you have anxiety all the time about your heart?  I have it 100% of the time and can't get rid of it.  Same thing, I had a few skipped beats when I got up this morning and that set me off for another bad day of anxiety.  It is now 1:35 p.m. and I have had a total of three hard palpitations all day and I am still totally stressed.  Do you take anxiety meds at all?  I am really looking to go to my doctor armed with knowledge and demand a really good anxiety med that will make me stop thinking and worrying about my heart.
Helpful - 0
124876 tn?1189755833
Hey there....well...I have been ok so far today, except for the fact that I am walking around in a daze waiting for the next big boom that will knock me back down!! I had a few in my sleep that freaked me a little but I was so tired I left it alone! I know what you are saying...but for some reason, I am having a hard time excepting it right now...Maybe it is the holidays...It's Thanksgiving in the states..and today is like HUGE Christmas shopping day...anyway...I don't know what's going on but I feel really alone and scared again...it comes and goes...and this is one of those comes moments...It's really hitting me hard this time....uuuuggghhhhh
Helpful - 0
Hi Honey! You are having a panic attack moment. I know this all too well. It's ok, your ok. You will be fine. Remember everyone gets these EVERYONE 100% of the population ok? The only difference is that you and I feel them. THE ONLY DIFFERENCE ok? Just keep telling yourself that. I totally TOTALLY understand your feelings, oh how I do. Your having a grand ol' time without them (or at least very few) and then outta the blue boom you get like tons (could be in the 10's or 100's or 1000's) and it scares the f***ing **** outta you!! I know. Just try to remember, we all get them, your not alone ok? Plz write to let me know how your doing ok? Lubs ya!

Nurse Kagome
Helpful - 0
61536 tn?1340698163
Just wanted to say I get that too.  I never even considered worrying about it.  That's rare for me, haha ;)
Helpful - 0
124876 tn?1189755833
P.S.  Sorry for breaking in on your thread about the abdominal pulse...I am about 50lbs overweight but sometimes I feel it too....especially in the sun on a really hot day at the lake or pool.....
Helpful - 0
124876 tn?1189755833
Ok...It's Thanksgiving and I was having a wonderful time watching football and putting up our Christmas tree with my son and husband....well they just left to go to a friends house briefly and I got on the computer...and I had a long run of palps....I am FREAKING out....what is up with this...why do I feel like this is it...this is the last one....when my husband and son left, I gave them kisses and said I love you and I know that is pretty normal...but I always do that for for dear I will never see them again....I am so scared...sometimes I go days and days without any palps and then I will have them for no reason for days and days and that's what scares me...ok, why now....there must be something wrong this time if they are happening so frequently when I haven't had them for days or weeks....anyone else feel like this??.....gosh this is so hard....I am sitting here in the dark terrified of the next crazy beat....It was weird...like a bunch of fast ones in a row....uggghh...frustrated...thanks for listening...!
Helpful - 0
97628 tn?1204462033
HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL!!
Helpful - 0
97628 tn?1204462033
I have also always been able to see my heart/pulse beat in my abdomen. 5'3", 110 pounds. I never thought anything of it, it's always been that way.  I know the "knife" remark by the tech was meant to be humorous, but it was inappropriate.
Helpful - 0
I noticed a strong pulse in my abdomen, I could see my whole stomach wobble, had it checked as a relaive died of a burst aortic aneurism but it is fine- the doc said that is because I am slim and my aorta is fairly close to the surface that is why it noticable.  Recently my mother was sent for a scan as a doctor noticed her stomach wobble whilst palpating her stomach for another matter.  She had the scan immediatly (doc sent her straight to hostpital there and then!) but the scan showed that she too is normal and has an aorta close to the surface (but within the normal ranges like me). I hope this reasures you, I have an active life horse riding and carriage driving and have never had a problem or been told not to do it because I have a 'prominent' aorta.  You did the right thing in checking in with the doc- I hope that you feel better now.
Helpful - 0
Well, gee, that was professional of that person to say that comment about the knife. That was sure to frighten you. I am 5'10" and 135 lbs, pretty thin. I see a very strong pulse in my belly and it even looks like it's waving down my belly. It is strong, but normal. I never got it checked. I think alot of people get that, obveously more easily seen in the thin. You have been used to being 30lbs heavier!! COngrats by the way! So take 30lbs offa your belly and boom! You notice this alot more now. I'm sure the doc will put your mind at ease. Good luck!

Nurse Kagome :)
Helpful - 0
74076 tn?1189755832
Hello,

This is very common and nothing to worry about.  A negative ultrasound should be very reassuring. There is nothing to suggest you hav or are at risk for an aneurysm.

I hope this answers your questions.  Good luck and thanks for posting.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Heart Disease Forum

Popular Resources
Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.