Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

pearly penile papules .. how to permanently remove

I can completely identify with the person that submitted the "White Bumps/Pearly Penile Papules On Penis...I got lots of them" post, because I have the exact same condition  ("pearly penile papules occur at the rim of the head of the penis") and situation (non-existent sex life). I saw my doctor a few years ago and also someone at a clinic for a second opinion, and they both said it was sweat glands. Even though it doesn't give discomfort etc, it is very noticable because there are 100 to 200 cysts, which is a big mental thing to overcome. I suspect this is a very common psychological problem given that 10% to 30% of males have this! This site has been a big help for being another source confirming it's not an infection. I think the thing that made me convince myself it was an infection in spite of what the doctor said was because, in addition to the lumps around the rim of the head, there are also several clusters of white specs that could be seen underneath the skin when the foreskin is pulled back, with the worst clusters immediately below the head (again, underneath the skin, unlike the external lumps around the rim of the head).

Given that this mostly occurs in uncircumised men this probably confirms the "sweat glands". So to eliminate this I'm considering both electrosurgery (to remove the cysts) and circumcision (to help prevent the cysts returning). If I was a woman I would find these cysts very off putting, so I'm trying to decide whether to go through all the hassle/pain/money to get them removed, or whether to try to come to terms with it psychologically. It's easy for someone to just say "ignore them" etc but this is extremely difficult to do with it all being so unsightly, especially with it looking so similar to an infection. Thanks for any advance.
8 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hi im a 16 yearold male i have many white bumps around the head of my penis ive had them for years now and i am a virgin so i know it can't be a STD and they have me worried they do not bother me at all they are just annoying ive heard that this could be pearly penile papules? what do you think ? thanks..
Helpful - 1
hello, i am a teenager. and on the rim of my penis head, i have these bumps, their red i believe, and on the left and right side of my penis head, the bumps are seen. Also, i've been sexually active... and now when i get an erection, i notice two bumps on my penis head. i believe one of the bumps are white... but i have just noticed them after i have had oral sex. are these an std? by the way, i have always had the red bumps around the rim of my penis, or as long as i could remeber. Please help me out, i really want to know the meaning of this.
Helpful - 1
A related discussion, Bumps on my Penis was started.
Helpful - 0
A related discussion, how to pevent back acne was started.
Helpful - 0
A related discussion, What do i have? was started.
Helpful - 0
242489 tn?1210497213
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Good for you!  Thanks for the feedback.

Dr. Rockoff
Helpful - 0
Thanks for your comments. You're probably right, so I'll do my best to come to terms with it mentally.
Helpful - 0
242489 tn?1210497213
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
With respect, they are not "unsightly"--they are part of you.  I would think several times about having them cauterized (electrosurgery)--that could very well leave permanent scars which are indeed unsightly, and I doubt the effect, if any, would be very long-lasting, as the papules would probably just grow back.  Since they occur in circumcised men, on the rim of the head of the penis, I don't see how circumcision would solve this problem for you.

Are you sure you aren't using these bumps as a kind of excuse to avoid intimacy?  I strongly urge you to explore this question with a therapist before going under the knife or the needle.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Dermatology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions