Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Fungal Sinus Infection with a normal CT Scan?

I've been suffering from persistant pressure, tightness in my forehead for several years. This causes physiological & Neurocognitive symptoms that have effected my functioning. I'm in a fog & it effects my thinking. Nothing has helped & the symptoms are perpetual.

After a number of neg blood tests, normal brain/thoracic/cervical MRIs, EEG & spinal tap, my Neurologist at an academic hospital sent me to an ENT and an allergist.

The ENT said my sinus CT scan showed a mild thickening of the frontal & maxillary sinus. While he thought surgery would help my breathing, he didn't think it would help my chronic head or pressure symptoms. He put me on Zithromax, which didn't help.

The allergist said my IgE mold tests were elevated & he put me on mold immunotherapy injections & antifungal rinses. Sevral months later & neither treatment has alleviated the problem.

Is it possible to have a fungal sinus infection & yet have a normal CT scan? If so, what treatment(s) are recommended.  

Thanks & happy Hollidays
14 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Helpful - 0
Yes, anythings possible. I did notice that my allergies got worse when I moved into a new apartment (in an old building).

I realize the MD is busy, but he totally ignored the follow up posts stating that Migraines had been ruled out & the meds he metioned had been tried to no avail.
Helpful - 0
Hmmmmmmmmm, very interesting, and I thought that I was all alone with this stupid forehead pressure, perpetual light dizziness, and brain fog.     Kim, to answer your question, no the doctor will not answer any follow up questions unfortunately.      Do you have any exposure to possible poor indoor quality air such as insulation, unchecked air ducts, etc?    I have often wondered about this since I got sick after I moved into my parent' attic.
Helpful - 0
Does this MD even read the follow up posts? He suggested things I've already tried extensively & mentioned here???
Helpful - 0
First of all, keep in mind that I am unable to diagnose you because I am unable to examine you, this forum is for educational purposes.
   The symptoms that you describe of forehead pressure and brain fog are often difficult to diagnose, mostly due to their vague nature.  The 2 most common senarios I have found with this constellation of symptoms is, migraine headaches and/or depression.  Migraine headaches often have a "sense of being off" type feeling associated with them.  These are sometimes called confusional migraines.  The often misunderstood fact about migraines is that you can suffer with the associated features of migraines (such as the confusion) with out the more typical pounding headache, sensitivity to light, nausea, etc.  For this I would recommend a trial on a migraine prophylaxis agent such as elavil, topamax, or nadolol.  The confusion in migraines tends to be more episodic than you describe, but it sounds like you have been through a lot already, and it would be worth a trial (may take 3-4 weeks to take effect).  The much more common explanation of "brain fog" is depression.  This is a very common feature and is assoicated with not feeling sharp, short term memory loss and increased errors due to inattention.  Many patients relate that they dont feel sad or 'depressed' and discount this possibility.  I would encourge you to suggest a trial on a antidepressant such as wellbutrin, effexor, lexapro, etc to evaluate for this possibility (will also take 3-4 weeks to respond).  There has been numerous reports of 'neuro-cognitive' problems with "toxic mold syndrome" in the popular press.  However, there is very little science to support this as an actual disease and most experts think the 'neuro-cognitive' changes are unlikely to be caused by the mold (but the jury is still out).  There is no known treatment for 'toxic mold' except for avoiding exposure.  There are people who can evaluate your home or buisness for mold and if it is found in significant quantity than you may try moving locations (sometime also called 'sick building syndrome').
I hope this has been helpful.
Helpful - 0
WEIRD...you describe my symptoms exactly.  Anyway, here is what was discovered in me (and missed completely by the first hospital)...  http://robertmillerfoundation.org/letter.html
Helpful - 0
I am on your side, I would like to connect with someone like you, feel free to write me at ***@**** ANYTIME!
Helpful - 0
Seriously..do you need someone to talk to about this?  I have been through 12 various scans and 15 doctors.. I would love to chat with you..write to me if you wish!
Helpful - 0
SPECT Scan was normal as well. No bloodflow abnormality according to my Neuro at an academic hospital.
Helpful - 0
I've also tried SSRIs, elavil, topamax, Diamox, Neurontin & Imitrix to no avail. Antipressants make the fog worse.

I don't get migraines per se, but a fuzzy, foggy tightening & pressure sensation in my head. It feels like I'm wearing a helmet that's too tight or as if I have a vise around the side of my forehead. Blury vision at times, too. PET scan was also normal.
Helpful - 0
I forgot to mention that I was extensively treated for Lyme, Bartonella, Mycoplasma & babesia with IV Rocephin, various other oral antibiotics combos, & Mepron for for an extended duration. I also did chelation for elevated metals levels (Mercury).

I made lots of progress with most of my symptoms but my head symptoms didn't budge. Nothing seems to help & it's greatly effecting my ability to function.
Helpful - 0
165026 tn?1514167516
Hey, I am in the Northeast, too.  I have had persistent chronic head pressure around the eyes and bridge of nose.  I had sinus surgery, which did not alleviate the problem.

If you get a different diagnosis, I would like to hear about it.
Helpful - 0
Do you live in a desert area?  Or did you visit one this past year?  There is a prevalent fungal respiratory infection in the STh West esp in the AZ area, it is in the dirt and when you play in the dirt or are around in a dust storm, you can get it.  I think its called Valley Fever.  I know it can take a lot to diagnose esp if you live away from an infected area.  Some people struggle for years before dx.

Hope you find some answers soon.

Fiona
Helpful - 0
Thanks Fiona, no, I live in the Northeast.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Neurology Forum

Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease