ADDICTION: LIVING WITH AN ADDICT
COMMUNITY
Subutex and Xanax together?????
by woozy, Jan 25, 2007
My husband has been prescribed 8mg of Subutex and a sustained Xanax pill,that releases 2mg for about 12 hours. Does this sound appropriate? It's for opiate cravings, he hasn't been a junkie in years. He just succumbs now and then and it's usually poppy tea. I know the side effects of opiates. Subutex is not supposed to make you high, right? But he is pretty much sleeping around the clock, his eyes are half open, he seems apathetic and removed emotionally. It's freaking me out..I told my husband I was concerned,but his doc suggested he just take it at night for somnolence. But that's not really going to work when he can sleep up to 24 hrs in a stretch.. Any insights, or suggetstions?
Member Comments (15)
by woozy, Jan 25, 2007
Thanks for the insight. And, your're right he isn't really getting high per se, but he sure is acting doped. I do have first hand experience with the subutex also. He gave me half a pill about a week ago for a hangover. And I spent the entire day,every 20 minutes or so,vomiting..still, ironically, I felt kind of "nice" sort of relaxed and warmish (despite the constant puking)..but nothing like an opiate. Don't worry, I won't be going near the Subutex again. I have done poppy tea and snorted heroin, also made me puke a little, but I've never developed a craving for either. I can take it or leave it, I guess. I have noticed though that with poppy tea,for every day on it, expect 2 days of come down and a week before you feel normal again, that stuff is strong!! Good luck with your detoxing!
by CRIMINAL, Jan 25, 2007
you were prolly puking because you have a VERY low tolerance to opiates...i puked the first few times i shot heroin..anyway subutex is actualy a strong opiate i read the ONE 8mg subutex is equal to 30 to 40mg of methodone...
by chemmonster7, Jan 25, 2007
how are you doing today any better? just checking in w you
by woozy, Jan 25, 2007
I did think the you couldn't get as high from the subutex. Would you think skipping a dose for 1-2 days and then taking it as well as skipping the benzo...would constitute abuse? I suspect my husband is doing this to get any high he can..but he denies it of course.
by gipsee, Jan 25, 2007
Benzo's are nothing to play around with...

After long term use "skipping a day" could land him in the hospital.   If you or he has used Xanax for any length of time, meaning more than two weeks on a daily basis... you will have to wean yourself off the drug.

YOU CAN NOT C/T  with benzodiazapines.  It is physically dangerous and could cause seizures...and rebound anxiety that is unbearable.

Ask me how I know  *sweet smile*.....

Gip
by CRIMINAL, Jan 25, 2007
i just switched from 70mgs of methodone to THREE 8mg subutex a day and im also on 4mgs of xanax a day...you have to be carful mixing subutex with xanax or any other "benzo"...and um..even though theres no "opate blocker" in subutex it still binds so tightly to the opiate receptors in the brain that it literaly blocks you from getting high on vics percs or heroin etc etc. as for getting high from the subutex YES it is possible but getting high from it is "SUPPOSEDLY" much harder to do and is "SUPPOSEDLY" alot milder than other opiates due the way it works in the brains opiate receptors..he is prolly getting high from the mixture of xanax and subutex..his body should adjust..unless he is purposly taking too much
by dragonchaser, Jun 30, 2008
Subutex is suboxone without the extra drug that blocks your ability to shoot it or get high.  So yes, you can get high from subutex, thats why most doc's prescribe suboxone instead of subutex.  And as with any opiate, mixing xanax or other benzo's greatly enhances the opiate's effect.  Often opiate addicts will begin doing this once their opiate tolerance is so great that they no longer get high, but rather just take the opiate's to not be sick.  Oxycontin is a perfect example.  Snorting 80 mg's of OC mixed with 1 to 2 mg of xanax will get you higher than snorting 240 mg's of Oxy.  I've done it, so I know.  But talk about rolling the dice!, xanx withdrawal is LOOONNNNGGG and terrible, so combining it with opiate withdrawal is pure hell.  ANd even more dangerous is the fact that mixing benzo's with opiates greatly reduces your respiratory functions and is the easiest way to Overdose and/or die.  To the woman who asked if her husband is getting high, YES he is! and like any addict, he'll deny it so that you don't bother him about it.  Addiction always comes first, unfortunately.  If he's sleeping and nodding out all day then obviously he's high.  Your just hoping it's not true, but you should know that his doctor, like many doctors who don't know enough about subutex or suboxone, is an idiot, and your husband is in more danger than ever befor in his life!  No knowledgale doc would EVER prescribe benzo's and opiates, get a second opinion if you dont believe me...good luck, I gotta go chase the dragon