Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
5mg Oxycodone plain- not strong enough?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

5mg Oxycodone plain- not strong enough?

my arthritis Doc put me on the Oxy plain- this seems to be the lowest dose there is in a pill- 5mg.
I take 6 vic 5/500s daytime now.

you dont take them together, as Oxy is the time release..OK fine.  but I take them in the eve 1-  and one before bed..  and it seems not to do much

I would like to ask for higher dose when I see my reg. doc in 2 weeks, , but am afraid he will think I am trolling for more meds.  I am definately dependent on the VIc I take, and dont want to stop, it does the pain relief job.. just barely.

am I sending red flags up by asking for more/higher doses?  I do wake up and get the leg tingles, cant sleep if I  dont take them.. feels valid to me

thoughts?

best way to explain it, in asking him?

Maybe switch to all Oxy 20s or 40s per day, and no Vic? { here i am self prescribing- but you guys are the experts}

thoughts?

I am not trying to stop as I am almost 60 and do need the relief to function and be active daily.
be honest w/doc tell him/her it is not working they should help you
if what your taking is not working for you be honestand tell them that. i went in and said i'm taking 2 hydrocodone every 3 hrs and its just not working and i'm in alot of pain.so they switched me to norco which works 100% better. just be honest...they will help you!!!!!!
I just had a surgery removing a huge area of pal. cysts and fishers ...looks as though I literally got shotgun blast in back...bout 2 in deep 6 inches long and 3 inches wide.  i was on 7.5 vicodin prior to surgery for the pain of the cysts...now after surgery ..note this is in an ext. bad place on my lower butt and back...cant move...and is very painful. my doc. gave me 5mg tabs of oxycodone. its doing nothing, my wife has not slept nor have i since the surgery 3 days ago....where can i go for some reasonable pain management....for this recovery period ...my doc is good but its a veteran hos. and they literally have nothing stronger then 5mg..they will give out... she tried to give me 10 mg percocet but they said NO? I NEED some relief and hate to feel as a seeker..but need a strong strong pain med... what is reasonable meds for this? keep in mind ...if u saw this area it would surprise u how intense it actually is....i have little butt left...and its open and has to be packed daily...which adds to the pain...
ariborne, this is an addiction forum ,so we don't give out names of doctors for more drugs .However med help has a pain management forum I would post over there they maybe able to help. good luck I hope you find something to control the pain.
avis
The VA may not just stock it but they will prescribe for different things around here...get back with your Doc...