Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Addiction help

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Addiction help

I've been addicted to pain killers for years now. I've tried stopping but nothing seems to work for me. Thomas Recipe seems a little extreme for me. I'd get off them for a couple days sometimes weeks but I always turn back to them. I don't want to live this way anymore. I know what to expect for withdrawal since I've gone through it more times than I can count. I have a supportive father and friends. Any tips and advise are welcome.
hi and welcome!  The Thomas recipe does have some good stuff in it...just take what you need from it.  I had gatorade, soups, ensure or boost and drank lots of water.  Imodium (immodium) was great thru it all...If you get aftercare when you're done with WDs it will help you stay clean and not pick up more pills.  Like counseling and NA....that's what my counselor advised me to do....NA and get a sponsor.  It seems to work for SO many people to help them stay clean after the detox from pills.  Just keep posting for info and support, this site helped me get to 96 days clean!  Good luck and ask all the questions you need to...we want you to succeed and take your life back!  
If you have the means...a medically supervised detox is best. I had a 13 year addiction and I had no other option but professional help to stop...I couldn't do it on my own with 3 young children at home. I realize I was lucky to have insurance to pay for everything and a husband to support me. I realize not everyone has this option. If you can't.. Ask your doctor for meds to help you. I'm not really sure what the Thomas Recipe is so I can't comment on that. Honestly if you truly want to quit...it's  time to fess up and ask for help from a professional. It will help you immensely.
I agree with them all above plus for me I had to go somewhere too. but one other blessing for me is that I got to watch the videos and read all about the disease of addiction. You can find good stuff. I have a good one from HBO and also ended up with a guy from betty ford even though i did not go there. Lots of info...It wss a major part for me in my recovery plus giving it to my god and going to meetings ect..I can say that all worked and that info is keeping mefrom never ever one day one step never to use in my 56yrs .Check it out you canunderstand a bit more what happens...Also if you have a DR. in town that helps addiction he/she too should have all this info.....
God Bless keep truckin forward and do not look back
vickie
After years of relapsing, I started my aftercare before I detoxed. I went to meetings and built support from those who had been there. By the time I was really sick, everyone knew me and what was going on. I had to stay home for the days it was real bad, but people stopped by to check on me and offered to have a bucket in the meeting if I had to vomit. During the insanity of acute detox, those people helped me keep my focus on recover and reminded me of what I had said before I got sick. I'm a strong believer in aftercare and was amazed at how understanding and helpful my new sober community was. That's what I did different the last time, and I think I will continue to stay clean as long as I keep a strong aftercare program.
Thank you all for the support and advice. It honestly feels amazing to know that there's people out there that are facing the same problems as me or went through what I'm going through.
I'm on day 3 of detox and I feel a little jittery and anxious but I am reducing the cravings by spending it with people who make me laugh and smile. I've also been doing a lot more cooking and cleaning! I feel pretty good right now and feel little withdrawal effects. This board has really help me try and stay on track with my addiction. Thank you all.
just hang in there....you can do this!!  just keep posting when you need support or have questions!  we can help!  
How do you guys cope with the cravings?
Hey!  Congrats on day 4 now?  You should be getting over the worst of the acute withdraw symptoms by now.   Now is when the mental stuff and cravings start.   Honestly, I will say that if you have ANY sources, you need to get rid of their contact info, tell them you are done if they call you, block their numbers if you have to.   Knowing their is an option to use out their makes the cravings more intense.   Knowing you cant's get anymore and using is not an option helps you accept cravings as a part of the process.  Distract yourself by doing something and they pass.  As time goes, they do decrease in frequency.  You are doing really good.  Keep on truckin...the road to recovery is bumpy at times, but the other side is worth it!