Addiction vs. Physical Dependence?
Is there any difference between addiction vs. physical dependence on drugs?  If a person is physically dependent on alcohol, they are an alcoholic.  If they are physically dependent on nicotine, they are addicted to tobacco.  Makes sense that if they are physically dependent on pain pills that they are addicted.
I would love to say that I had a physical dependence and not an addiction!
I am not sure if I should be posting anything because I am new and so lost, but I have the same question, so I am glad that you posted it. For my own life, I am addicted even tho I did not "abuse" my prescription, but that is just me. I hope you find the answer you are looking for. Good luck.
In my opinion a physical dependency is an addiction. Why do you ask this question?? Explain what is going on in your head and maybe we can help.
Yes there's a difference.  Unfortunatley, the w/d's the same.  I'm dependant and going through it.  With addiction, you use more than you're supposed to or more frequently, and you use it to "feel better", not because of pain.  With dependence, your body gets used to the drug and it will not function properly without the drug.  This is not to say that both cannot occur at the same time, they can and do.  If you're addicted, you're dependent too.  Tolerance is not to be confused with addiction though, and sometimes is.  Just because one needs more of a med to get the same pain relief they had in the beginning does not make them addicted.  It's just that they're body got "used to" that drug dose and needs more now.  
i thought it was all the same thing...if ur physically dependant u need the drug to not get "sick" if u r addicted u also need the drug to not get "sick"......both suck
i dont think it matters,

if someone needs pills to get by,

thats no life.

addict / dependant, its gonna be no easier or harder to quit.
yeah you do get sick without the drug either way, that's why I said the w/d's the same, sucks don't it?  The only difference between them is that with addiction, you want to take the med for other reasons than the one prescribed.

Sucks either way.  It really doesn't matter why we're all going through this, I'm sure we all agree on that.  Thank God we have each other to get through this.

Jacqui
for me it started out as depentence then got to addiction.  when i would look in family's medicine cabinets and steal meds, i knew it was addiction!!
I would say that a dependent person is going to have an easier time staying clean. There will be less mind battles. dependent people aren't in it for the 'high' or feelings. IMO

It is a fine line crossing over to addiction. Once that line is crossed, you can alsmost never go back.