Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Alcohol Allergy?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Alcohol Allergy?

I was wondering if anyone else out there has experienced the same symptoms that I have developed. I have been a social drinker all my life. I am now 49 and was diagnosed with MS 13 years ago. In the last year, five or six times after I have had only a couple of drinks, the entire next day I come day with what seems to be a terrible flu. I wake up vomiting with a terrible migraine and have dry heaves almost the entire day. I would think it was a typical hangover except it has happened after I have only had two drinks the entire night. Is it possible to develop an allergic reaction to alcohol this late in life? I already have issues with migraines, so I am starting to think I just need to quit drinking entirely.
Are you drinking straight alcohol or mix drinks.. Mix drinks contain..red bull/ caffeine, orange juice, milk etc. some alcohols have almond & hazel nut.. I need to know what you drank
I'm a recovering addict/alcoholic and I've heard it all over the years. I personally have never heard of two drinks by a social drinker doing something like that, nor has it ever happened to me. This is a great question to go to your doctor with, and I wouldn't mess around with it for very long.

If you have the desire, or find yourself needing to give up an addiction and need support, you've come to the right place. We will bend over backwards to help you!
It definitely sounds like you could have some type of allergy to alcohol! I have a friend who has very similar symptoms after drinking but his normally starts within about 6 hours of having a couple of drinks. Alcohol allergies at some level is surprisingly more common than most people think.

My advice, talk to your Dr. about it just to make sure its nothing more serious ie: liver issues.

Good luck!
You can develop allergies at any time in life. I did not develop mine until I hit 40. Have you tried to stop drinking and see what happens? I agree, speak with your doctor to rule out any other possibilities.

BTW, I am also allergic to alcohol. When I drink I do stupid things and go to jail.