Alcoholic Pancreatitis
I came down with acute alcoholic pancreatitis on August 28, 1999.  After thirteen days in intensive care, another two weeks in two hospitals...then surgery and recovery (for pancreatic pseudosists w/ a liter of fluid drained).  I was finally sent home and have fully recovered.  I have not even had a sip of alcohol since, however, I am curiuos as to the research that has been done on people that have gone back to drinking???  Has there been research done in this area?

May I suggest you do an internet search on alcohol pancreatis first and then if nothing comes up to help answer your question try the main alcohol substance abuse sites. Just plug in alcoholism under search and you'll get all sorts of choices, then do more in depth search through their data bases.

If you are considering going back to drinking you may want to reconsider since your condition proves your body cannot handle it.
CRAIG,
BOY I CAN SO RELATE TO YOUR STORY. I HAD THAT 5 TIMES.......YOU THINK I STOPPED DRINKING....NO WAY. WASNT THAT PAIN INCREDABLE? THERE IS NOTHING LIKE IT.FIRST YOU NEED TO FIND OUT WHY YOU DRINK IN THE FIRST PLACE. APPERENTLY YOU WERE DRINKING A LOT. YOU NEED NEVER TO GO BACK TO DRINKING....NEXT TIME YOU MIGHT JUST DIE. I FOUND VERY LITTLE ABOUT THIS IN BOOKS. BUT TRY THE INTERNET...
I WENT BACK TO DRINKING AND AFTER 5 TIMES IT DIDNT HAPPENED 6. THAT WAS 3 YEARS AGO...I WENT TO REHAB IN FEB. AND I DONT INTEND ON DRINKING AGAIN. I JUST CANT UNDERSTAND WHY I WOULD RISK BEING IN THAT MUCH PAIN AGAIN....DOESNT MAKE SENSE DOES IT CRAIG.....LET ME KNOW HOW YOU ARE DOING...***@****
Craig,
I can relate to you, my family has a long history of pancreatitis disease. My grndmother dies from pancreatic cancer, my father has alcoholic pancreatitis, and my sister has pancreatitis. Many DR. we have talked with say this disease is NOT hereditary but I feel that in many cases it is. My father was an alcoholic most of my life, now recovered he has this lasting effect. His pancreas is severly damaged, the DR said if he drank again it would kill him.
Pancreatitis is a rare disease( from what we are told) Although it cannot be cured it can be controlled, eating fatty foods, spicey foods, saturated fat such as in chocolate milk, bananas, all sorts of foods can **** the pancreas off to the point where you have a painful attack resulting in hospitalization.
My sister who is older than I is currently in a detoxification program resulting from pain meds that were intended to control the pancreatic pain. My sister became addicted to oxy contin, vicodin, and percocet. I would give you advice but it would be your choice to accept the advice... It is in your best interest to stay away from alcohol all together, as well as talking with your DR about a diet best suited for you and your disease. If you feel you have a problem with alcohol that I suggest you talk with a detoxification group/ center in your area. This program is helping my sister and my family tremendously. But you need to first admit you have a problem in order to start correcting the problem... Good Luck with this and god bless..