Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Back Surgery Folks (Fusion)

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Back Surgery Folks (Fusion)

Jeez-Here I am again with the fusion questions but it is a short question.

To those of you who have had lumbar fusions ( or other back sugeries):  WOULD YOU DO IT AGAIN?  Are you better off now (pain wise)? I would love to hear from all (Marce4, Marcj?

Thanks guys!

dakmba
I had back surgery and i will definitly not do it again noway no how. I regret getting the surgery i am worst now than ever. Good luck
most of the people i have talked to have regreted having surgery, but a few had excellent results.

if you have tried everything and nothing helps i guess its best. but if you havent tried everything

chiropractor, acupuncture, phisiotherapy, pain managment, swimming, streching, prayer  etc etc

id try everything you can before allowing someone to hack into your spinal chord with an exacto knife?
I just went to see another back specialist. My condition is 2 lower discs blown and severly depleted. Missing some kind of spinal fluid. Siatic (sciatic) nerve is almost always irritated.

Anyway just like the other doctor, he told me about this fusion operation involving screws and whatever? It takes 1 year to fully recover, and only 7 out of 10 patients it works for. Some are left in even worse shape than when they started. Said "If you were my sister, I'd tell ya not to do it"

Good luck, get a few opinions. It is a very serious decision.
hi... i have not had back surgery, i have been trying to avoid it (2 herniated disks) and have been going the same route as "justlikeyou."

that said - lumbar, cervival, etc - they're different.  lumbar offers newer and more procedures (like replacement disks, etc.) that cervial (what i have) does not.

i'm just tossin' it out there.. make sure people are specific with you when you get feedback.  it's not all the same.

i would also make sure you have a couple opinions.  the first guy i saw when i was diagnosed was pretty much ready to cut me open (orthopedic.)  3 or 4 doctors later, a surgeon (nuero) said, don't do it UNLESS YOU REALLY HAVE TO (i can explain that further if you like.)

so i would get a few opinions and explore all options first, personally..

(and i do know some that have had success.  seems like none are cervical fusions tho.. but hey, what the heck do i know..)

good luck!!!

-mj
After having a five level spinal fusion after a staircase case callasped on a costruction site, a broke my back. Two years after the first surgery two of the pedacle screws were loose so under the knife again.Now im in ten times more pain than i was before the surgery so i personaly think that  making money has alot to do with the way most of these doctors push for surgeries. Then when your in pain after all work that they did they never say well maybe the surgery hade something to do with it o  of course not.Try and get as much info as you can about the procedure, with my case one minute i am a healthy,working 35yr old next iam in a helacopter on my way to boston,ma .Try to get many differant opinions not just differant doctors but differant hospitals.Also say aprayer it might not hurt. In my opinion use surgery as a last resort if that .GOOD LUCK AND GOD BLESS