Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Benzodiazepine Withdrawal --HELP PLEASE
About This Community:

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Benzodiazepine Withdrawal --HELP PLEASE

I was given Ativan by my family doctor for anxiety. I don't remember how much I was originally taking, but I was taking it for a few years. Then she said I was addicted to it and sent me to a psychiatrist. She (the psych doctor) tapered me down to 0.5 mg a day. Some days I wasn't even  taking it. I had some really severe withdrawal along the way. But I got through it.
     A couple of months ago I began feeling bloated and nauseus a few hours after I ate. I was also having pain in my upper back. I thought it was my gallbladder, but the doctor says no. She said I have some sludge, but that shouldn't be causing my problems. Anyway, sometimes the back back is excruciating, and the nausea really bad. I found that when I took my Ativan the nausea and pain in my back eased up. So what I hadn't been taking, I took. Not a lot, but whatever I had, when I really needed it.
     Then I ran out of the Ativan. Til the next month. So a friend of mine gave me 15 (0.25 mg) Xanax. I took one a day. A couple of the days I took 2. Now I am out of the Xanax.
     PROBLEM: I am experiencing withdrawal symptoms. I have been through really bad withdrawal with the Ativan. It was terrible, but I got through it. I am worried that taking that Xanax could give me worse withdrawal. I only took it for 15 days, but I was addicted to the Ativan before.
     MY QUESTION: IF THE WITHDRAWAL IS FROM THE XANAX, CAN I GET THROUGH IT ON MY OWN ???  If it is only as bad as the Ativan withdrawal, I can do it. I stopped taking the Xanax few days ago. Is it going to get worse???  I'm sure some of it is Ativan withdrawal, because I have been taking more than usual lately, but my heart never pounded like this before, and that scares me. I can't tell my doctor because I know she will get angry. ( I need a new doctor, but that's not the point now.)  PLEASE, PLEASE ANY THOUGHTS ??? THANK YOU !!