Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Can someone else be using my name?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Can someone else be using my name?

Hello again my new friends!  I have a question....after reading a post where someone was able to call in their own pain medicines for a while, it really has me wondering.  You see, last week I got a call from my Doctor.  I thought he was calling to check on me to see how I was doing on weaning....but then he asked me who Dr. Roigue was?  I have never heard of him.  He then went on to say this Dr. filled a prescription for me on the first.  What got his attention was that is was for a different pain medicine and a LOT of them....when I told him I had no idea what he was talking about, he told me not to worry about it...but I am a worry wart and it has had me thinking since.  My pill problem didn't start getting out of hand until around April of this year but I wasn't going to other Doctors or Hospitals to get them...the sad truth is that my own Doctor was refilling me early and telling the pharmacy it was ok to fill me early...so you can image my confusion when he asked me who this other doctor was.  He also told me what Pharmacy filled the prescription and that threw up a big red flag for me.  You see, I was using this Pharmacy for a while until my Dr. upped my dose on the pain medicine.  When I went to get them filled that day, they told me it was going to cost over $200.00....that is way to rich for my blood.  Since I am not working and have no kind of insurance, I couldn't afford to get them filled there anymore so I ended up going to another Pharmacy.  I even called my Doctors Office and told them I was going to switch and asked if I should come in to sign a new form for the change.  This new Pharmacy gave me a discount since I don't have insurance and it saves me over a hundred dollars on my prescription.  I told my Niece about two months ago (when she asked...she just came out and asked me out of the blue one day what Pharmacy I was using...that seemed a little odd at the time but I really never put much more thought into it) which one I was using.  I am now thinking maybe my Niece (whom I know has a bigger pill problem than I ever had) has gone to a ER or Doctor and used my name or something?  I mean, she is a good bit younger than me so I don't see how the ER could have confused her for me but what if she was able to somehow.  I do know she is willing to drive hundreds of miles to go to different States and ER's to get the prescription. l also know for a fact is it wasn't me....and after my Dr. asked me about all this, I immediately called all the Pharmacies around this area and told them what was going on and asked that in the future, anyone coming in with any kind of prescription for me to have to show ID....most of them agreed with me except for the one pharmacy that filled this questionable prescription.  They told me there isn't any way someone else could be using my name to get narcotic pain medicines...even though I explained to them that I have not used them in months, but someone else got a prescription filled there on the first with my name....they just acted like they didn't care.  So, I do wonder if it is possible for someone to be using my name to get pain medicines?
i have read here about some people being caught in this situation, getting prescription medicines filled for other people, so yes, i think it is possible.
Thank you Laurel.  I had no idea this could be going on....and since I am trying to stay away from my Niece for now, I don't know if there is anything else I should do.  My Doctor is aware of the situation and I have told the Pharmacy...so hopefully, they will decide to check ID if anyone goes in there again with a prescription for me.
Have a great day and God Bless!
i don't know about taking more measures, maybe other people would come and tell you about it but i think that warning your doctor and the pharmacies is enough for now :)

I always have to sign a sticker or something when I pick up any prescriptions. You could look at that and see if you recognise the signiture. Also it might be a good idea to fax a letter to each pharmacy stateing the problem and that you want anyone filling scripts in your name to show ID. That will give you proof that you notified everyone.
has it occurred to you that perhaps someone within the pharmacy has a little habit of their own? i know it would drive me crazy working around all those little pills. i had a situation once where one of the employees of my pharmacy was taking pills out of my bottle. being a good addict i always count outside in the parking lot. she did it repeatedly, and each time i complained. they would wait until the end of the day, do a count and then let me pick up what i was shorted. then i had a girl who was giving me extra pills! i never complained about that. these people are just human. the way you say that one pharmacy acted makes me think that someone there knows exactly what is going on. good luck! sway
They have cameras at the pharmacies so it would show who actually came and got that script.......
My Brother was an addict, and although I didn't know it at the time, well, I did know he was an addict, but what I didn't know was that he was using my name to get prescriptions for himself.

It scared the S*** out of me, because I had already been arrested for forging prescriptions myself.  Not under anyone's name I knew, but I know  I wasn't going to take any rap for him if he got busted.

I did  the same thing you did, and phoned alot of the local pharmacies.  I didn't say it was my brother, just that I thought someone was filling scrips in my name and to make sure to check ID.

It does sound odd that the one particular pharmacy wouldn't really listen to you, and I agree with Sway1, that it could be someone working in the Pharmacy doing this.

When I was in a Treatment Center one time, their protocol was to use Subutex for withdrawals, and I know this dates me LOL, because it was before they came out with the Sublingual form and we were given a literal "shot in the arm."

What ended up being found out, was that the Nurse at the Treatment Center who would give us our shots, was keeping a little bit back, and at the end of the day he would combine all those "little bits" and give himself a nice fat injection.

I'm not a "syringe" addict, at least I haven't gone there yet, thank God, and I hope I never do, but I always knew he was up to something fishy by the way he would act when giving me my shot.

I only say this because it doesn't matter where and what the situation is, there are addicts who will do whatever they can to get their "Fix" or whatever.

It could be your Neice or it could be someone else.  I think it would be a good idea to go to the Pharmacy and ask to see the Signature of the person who signed for that Script. If they tell you that there is "no way someone else could get a Script using your name," tell them, you know someone in Recovery who was an expert at getting Scripts in other people's names."  My Brother was so good at it, he could make up his own Prescription Papers on our computer.  He was also a Nurse, so he knew how to write everything down to make it look  right.  My Brother was not a "bad" person, just a person with a "bad" problem, who has now paid the ultimate price.  His Life.

If you do go to the Pharmacy, ask to speak to the "Head Pharmacist" about it, not just the counter person.

I wish you all the best on your road to recovery.
I am so sorry about your brother~~~~~~sara
Thank you Sarah.  Loosing my Brother has been one of the most difficult things in my life, and I can't say I handled it very well.  I stayed in my addiction for 2 years after his death.  However, I did come through it, I got off drugs and started the healing process.

Things have been going well until I got tripped up on Tramadol, but  I know it's only a temporary setback.  This Forum is great, and I'm glad I found it, and the people here.
I too and so very sorry about your brother, badhsadow...how terrible.

Jim
I lost my dad 4 yrs ago and then i REALLY lost myself.  I also continued to use for a couple years after he passed.  My days and nights were consumed with joining him and had i kept going i would of.  I am still going thru the healing process, painful as it is.  Now i am able to find some comfort in the memories~~~~~sara

They have cameras and most places make u show your picutre I'd to pick up narcotics do u mind if I ask what state u are from
If it was me i would go to the pharmacy and get to the bottom of this.